EGR Cooler Project, Day 1

FirstSixOh

Reaction score
The Bulletproof EGR cooler was delivered yesterday, and I decided this morning to try the replacement myself. This decision was made after watching at least a dozen videos. I think I have all the tools. Started at 9:15 removing interferences. Had most of it off and bagged and labeled in time to watch NASCAR. Then I had to take on the 4 fuel lines on the fuel filter housing. What a nightmare. Who has two 21mm nipple wrenches? I tried for an hour and couldn't bust loose the return line. My son, with the 6 foot arms, 3 foot fingers, and 1000lbs-ft of torque, got it busted loose in about 20 minutes by climbing in the engine where the air cleaner usually sits. The guy who installed the alternator torqued those steel bolts into the aluminum intake manifold WAY too tight. I had to use a box end and an extension. My half inch Makita torque wrench wouldn't budge them. So Day 1ended with the turbo and intake manifold next to go. If anybody sees this who has some tips and techniques for those two removals, please edify us. I will certainly need some help getting the tension off the serp belt to get the alternator back in, but that's at least a few more days. I don't expect to get the oil cooler from Ford until Thursday earliest. Oh, didn't break anything, lose anything or injure anything. What fun!