6.0 hard diagnosis looking for ideas

co04cobra

Reaction score
A buddy of mine called me today and tells me he bought a 06 6.0 with the motor apart from a ford dealer. They had told him it needed a oil pump. I ask hpop or lpop? What is tore apart? Tells me that the whole front of the motor is apart, but the turbo and intake look to be in place? I know this is not a good description, but its all I have to go on right now.

My main ?? is can you guys give me guesses on what you think they actually were trying to get to or fix. My other thought is that it only needs a hpop and the dealership had no clue what they were doing. I have worked on several 6.0s but am no expert.

Sorry so long. Thanks for the help.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Most likely will need a front cover if the gerotor failed

co04cobra

Reaction score
What else can/does it take it out when one of these fails. I have not heard of this very often. Do you see a lot of them fail? What is book time on replaceing one? Can you do it without pulling the motor? Thanks.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Usually they are tore up from debris from roller bearings when a lifter comes apart... If thats the case most likely the engine is trashed. I dont recall book time, but you can replace front cover in truck, but its best with most of the front end tore apart... Will also need the special $400 tool to press in new oil seal..

co04cobra

Reaction score
Can I pull the regulator out and tell more about if the motor might be trashed or not?

On edit: Better ? might be. Have you ever replaced one and the motor lived long term?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
no, by time it becomes an issue, the roller is half gone and it grinds down te cam lobe , sending metal along with needle bearings throughout the system...

Not saying this is an issue, but this is as deep as it CAN get... In rare cases the gerotor just splits in two....

that or they dio'd it with lLPO and dug into the pump instead of checking the STC fitting and other things...

Latest posts

Members online