CC Speaker Suggestions

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
I might actually replace my stockers this year, as they are pretty much shot. Not looking to spend a lot, but looking for best bang for the buck. I've got a 3 year old Pioneer HU and a pair of 10s getting pushed by a Kicker 500w.

What are y'all's thoughts for replacing the stock speakers? Probably need an amp recommendation, too.

And, I have no issues buying used from CL or Ebay, if it saves me a few bucks. ;)

MINK

Reaction score
In your case i'd just look around for a good deal. I've always ran/had good luck with Alpine products.

Isaac3384

Reaction score
I'm not sure what my door speakers are, but I have a Kenwood Excelon 5 channel amp running all my door speakers and 2 10" JL subs...it sounds great! I'll find out what I have in the doors tonight.

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
I've for infinity kappa speakers in my doors. $160 for all four and they sound great.

Thanks, Goose! I'm leaning towards a set of these. But, first, I need to sound deaden/dampen the doors. The road noise and rattles are driving me crazy.
I'm going to do all for doors (leaning towards Second Skin), but nothing too fancy.

Anyone have recommendations/suggestions on how much to order? I was thinking 36 sq.ft of Overkill and 20-30 sq.ft of Damplifier??

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Another vote for the Kappa's. I just picked up a Alpine PDX 5-channel to power the 4 Kappa's and a 12. That has worked well for me and it has a very small footprint; about the size of a hardback textbook.

How involved on the doors are you trying to get? Are you saying 36 sq ft Overkill + 20-30sq ft Damplifier total for all 4 doors?

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
Not too involved, but need some improvement before upgrading the speakers.
And, yes, for all 4 doors...but it's just a WAG??

sniper_101

Reaction score
I had an old set of Kappa 6.5's in my Ranger back in high school. They were 2nd hand when I got them, and who knows how long and hard they were used before I put them through their paces, they were put in about 4 vehicles since then. Up until a few months ago when they literally started to fall apart (terminals broke, tweeter separated, ,and surround dried out) they were great speakers. I think quite highly of Infinity's speakers and subs (no experience with their amps), and have no problem recommending one of their components or subs, great stuff.

Goose

Reaction score
Thanks, Goose! I'm leaning towards a set of these. But, first, I need to sound deaden/dampen the doors. The road noise and rattles are driving me crazy.
I'm going to do all for doors (leaning towards Second Skin), but nothing too fancy.

Anyone have recommendations/suggestions on how much to order? I was thinking 36 sq.ft of Overkill and 20-30 sq.ft of Damplifier??

I am about to do this to my truck. I have some stuff around the shop I am going to try first.

Keanoknick

Reaction score
Let me know when you plan on doing this John, I'll swing by and give you a hand, I plan on doing mine soon also, just going to wait till it warms up a bit in a few months.

Scarlet_Nape

Reaction score
What exactly did you order and how much of it? Let us know how you like it and if it was enough.

I'm on a budget so:

Damplifier - 20 Sq. Ft.
Overkill - 36 Sq. Ft.

May need more Damplifier....I'll just have to wait and see.
Hoping it arrives today, or tomorrow. And, hoping 60s is warm enough to apply, as that's the prediction for the weekend.
But, since I haven't ordered my speakers yet, this will probably just amplify how crappy my stockers actually sound. :doh:

F-117HWK

Reaction score
I'm on a budget so:

Damplifier - 20 Sq. Ft.
Overkill - 36 Sq. Ft.

May need more Damplifier....I'll just have to wait and see.
Hoping it arrives today, or tomorrow. And, hoping 60s is warm enough to apply, as that's the prediction for the weekend.
But, since I haven't ordered my speakers yet, this will probably just amplify how crappy my stockers actually sound. :doh:

Haha I will be too so its nice to hear some cheaper "builds".

Keep us updated with how you like it and if you have to get more. Good luck

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Let me know when you plan on doing this John, I'll swing by and give you a hand, I plan on doing mine soon also, just going to wait till it warms up a bit in a few months.

Count me in for help if you want as well. I'd like to see help and find out how involved ill get doing this.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Just a heads up... It sucks to do hahah. Wear some machanic gloves or something like them or your hands will be all cut up. I used a wooden roller thats about 2" and a metal table spoon to get in tighter spots. Since you working with a smaller amount of material I'd cut it into strips 2-3" and do 25-50% coverage. Do the inner and outer door skins and make some covers for the holes. Theres a thread on here about it. Also the roof was a big deal on my truck might not be for you though and the rear walls pretty important.

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Just a heads up... It sucks to do hahah. Wear some machanic gloves or something like them or your hands will be all cut up. I used a wooden roller thats about 2" and a metal table spoon to get in tighter spots. Since you working with a smaller amount of material I'd cut it into strips 2-3" and do 25-50% coverage. Do the inner and outer door skins and make some covers for the holes. Theres a thread on here about it. Also the roof was a big deal on my truck might not be for you though and the rear walls pretty important.

Would you happen to have a link handy to the thread you mentioned? Ill give it a search as well.

How much material did you use on your truck?

Has anyone else noticed a buzzing/rattling from the B-Pillar on certain low notes? Seems like its near the seat belt connection somewhere so when I do mine I may do the pillars as well.

AKHILF

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11037 theres the link it was a couple down from this post haha. And to tell you the truth that b pillar was one of the worst things in my truck. It was rattling right in my ear. I coated behind all the pillars on both the metal they go against and also put some on the plastic pillar part. No more rattling now. I used about 60 sq ft this time and i did the back wall 6 months ago so maybe another 15 sq ft then but I dont remember for sure for about 75 foot. It goes fast. Before you know it you'll be out I had to go get more

F-117HWK

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11037 theres the link it was a couple down from this post haha. And to tell you the truth that b pillar was one of the worst things in my truck. It was rattling right in my ear. I coated behind all the pillars on both the metal they go against and also put some on the plastic pillar part. No more rattling now. I used about 60 sq ft this time and i did the back wall 6 months ago so maybe another 15 sq ft then but I dont remember for sure for about 75 foot. It goes fast. Before you know it you'll be out I had to go get more

Haha yea I found it thanks. I normally dont look in the sections themselves, but just the "New Posts" or "Today's Posts" buttons :doh:

Yep that's what I keep hearing in my ear every time one specific frequency is hit. Ill have to get that when I do it as well. So maybe 150-200 sq/ft on the safe side sounds like.

AKHILF

Reaction score
You dont need that much. 100 would be plenty unless you want to double layer everything and hit the whole floor also. Only thing that isnt done in my truck is under the front seats and the fire wall and I have less than 100 sq/ft. Unbroken has over 200 sq/ft I think but for me I didnt need it. Nothing rattles inside anymore sounds a lot better and have 100% coverage on the roof about 95% on each inner and outer door panel and 100% back wall and under the back seat and behind every pillar and double layered in spots I heard rattles before

Latest posts

Members online