Phone Charger, How to Hardwire?

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Is there a way to hard wire a phone charger? Like the regular 12v charger. Its for a droid x2. I have the Navigation dock, and want to mount it in the upper left hand corner of the windshield. I don't want to have to put it in the center and have the stupid cord there all the time. Any info would help.

Thanks,

John

Agjake11

Reaction score
what i did to "hardwire" my old gps is that i went to radio shack and got a extra cigarette lighter aux plug (female side) and wired it under the dash (positive and negative is all) and then plug the 12v charger into it and run the wire up the a pillar

ColtonP

Reaction score
what i did to "hardwire" my old gps is that i went to radio shack and got a extra cigarette lighter aux plug (female side) and wired it under the dash (positive and negative is all) and then plug the 12v charger into it and run the wire up the a pillar

Same here.

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Cut plug wire...2 wires inside 1+ 1-...wire like anything else

I wish it could be that easy, but I highly doubt it can be. Won't that burn the battery up? Is there a type of inline fuse it should be ran with, or certain fuse in the fuse panel. I have my Radar detector hardwired, and it has an inline fuse. However it does not use a battery, and bought the hard wiring kit, so didn't wire it my self, just installed it.

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score

That is a good idea! Now how would you put a switch on that so doesn't have power to it all of the time?

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
if you wire it to a "key on" source and use Josh's way to do so you will be golden. Just dont wire it to a source that is hot all the time or it will drain batteries

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
Be careful hardwiring you're phone charger. Mine screwed up one day and I tried to " hardwire it back and about the time it started smoking i remembered it is only supposed to put out about 5vdc to the phone. LOL they don't like 12vdc.

Beans71086

Reaction score
:whs: I had the end of my charger bust off one time. I ended up tearing the rest of the plastic off of it and wiring it sort of like jhaddox said, but before the voltage regulator. There was a small wire going to the "button" on the front which is hot and a small wire going to the ground side. Two butt connectors and some wire and I was in business! :redspotdance:

Jhaddox

Reaction score
I wish it could be that easy, but I highly doubt it can be. Won't that burn the battery up? Is there a type of inline fuse it should be ran with, or certain fuse in the fuse panel. I have my Radar detector hardwired, and it has an inline fuse. However it does not use a battery, and bought the hard wiring kit, so didn't wire it my self, just installed it.

shouldnt be...its only a + and a - that plug into the cigarette lighter, just on a different way. and they constantly have power while you have the charger plugged in to the truck anyway. So in theory it should work just fine, UNLESS there is a regulator of some sort inside the actual plug itself that plugs into the cig. lighter.

If thats the case you should be able to unscrew that little end and find the wires that touch the metal contacts that go into the cig lighter, extend them and put power to them and they will be hard wired

TANK'S 250

Reaction score

BE CAREFUL!!!!

Sometimes there is a resistor inside the head of the cigarette light head,,,,...open it up before you even attempt....if you see a tiny circuit board...stop....reevaluate.

Spastik monkey

Reaction score
You don't even need to open it up. Solder your positive wire to the tip and ground to the metal on the sides of the plug. Secure with electrical tape. Grab your power from behind the radio, ground to ground and your positive to acc. I've done hundreds of these. Way easier and safer than yanking it apart

John@Outlaw_Diesel

Reaction score
Sounds good, thanks for help everyone. I figured just needed it wired with a fuse. I was just worried about burning up the battery in my phone. Never was really sure if the chargers were internally fused or not.