Trans Temp - Too Hot?

mortal798

Reaction score
When I tow my 5th wheel, every once in a while the wrench light comes on and the fan kicks on full force. When this happens, the trans temp gauge on the dash drops to full cold. It does this for a few minutes, the the gauge comes back up to normal and the fan goes back to normal.

My A-pillar Trans Temp says just over 200F. Anybody else have this problem?

Normally, my trans runs around 180F while towing, and 160F unloaded. What are you guys seeing for trans temps under heavy load?

BFT

Reaction score
seems like the gauges on the gauge cluster are only there for peace of mind.
depending if im stuck in traffic or what not (ligh to light) my trans will hit 200 with about 15k behind me. once moving along it stays about 175-180. i only note that my fans come on after 230+, and yes, ive gotten it that hot:doh:

mortal798

Reaction score
Do you run a MAG-HYTEC pan or anything else? I am thinking about adding another cooler and the MAG pan to try and keep the temp down.

mortal798

Reaction score
This happens after driving 65-70 mph pulling the camper on the highway for about an hour. It seems like there may be an open spot in the sensor around 200F.

BFT

Reaction score
it always sounds worse then it actually is.

as far as the fan going on at an early temp. do you have a specific tow tune that you use with H&S? some tow tunes have the fans come on earlier or defuel a bit to keep temps down, at least its like that on mine.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i agree on the dead spot in the sensor, my fuel level gauge is doing the same thing, and putting my truck into limp mode sometimes.

mortal798

Reaction score
Low fuel level (running out) could cause the injectors in a 6.0 truck to be damaged - if the piston in the injector slams down under high pessure oil, and there is no fuel in the injector, it could be damaged.

I would guess that in a 6.4 truck the HPFP could be damaged by having no fuel, since fuel is probably what lubricates it.

Anybody run an extra trans cooler orthe MAG-HYTEC pan? I want to make sure that I am staying plenty cool.

Sequential6.4L

Reaction score
Climbing long twisty mountain roads even with my mag hytec pan i can see 200 degrees unloaded....especially if i dont use tow haul.

JDub

Reaction score
Anybody run an extra trans cooler orthe MAG-HYTEC pan? I want to make sure that I am staying plenty cool.

Remember that with a deeper pan, the more fluid you get hot the longer it'll take to cool it off. If you're having temp problems, I'd look at upgrading the cooler before I'd change the pan.

mortal798

Reaction score
Remember that with a deeper pan, the more fluid you get hot the longer it'll take to cool it off. If you're having temp problems, I'd look at upgrading the cooler before I'd change the pan.

You sell a better cooler?

mortal798

Reaction score
Hows this look?

Attachments

• trans oil filter.jpg
    trans oil filter.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 67

Members online

No members online now.