egr delete and some ?s

davey99ps

Reaction score
A guy I work with has an 04 6.0. Somehow I got roped into doing an egr delete for him. My first question is, how big of a job am I getting myself into, I'm a 7.3 guy, so the 6.0 is kinda new to me. I'm just wondering how big of a project this is? Also, while I have this thing apart, is there anything else I should be doing? The truck doesn't get ran hard at all, an it only has 120k mi on it. I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible for the guy, he doesn't have alot of $ but I wanna make sure I make it as reliable as possible for him. I was gonna do studs, but I've had a few people say that since the truck gets babied that i shouldn't bother. I'm looking at sinister's delete kit, is that a decent product? Also how much time should I plan on this taking me to get done? Is there any special tools I'll need? Sorry for the long post, an thanks for any help

ZacPSD60

Reaction score
It's not a HUGE job but it's also not for the mechanically shy.. Sinister's delete kit is the most popular one we sell and is also the one going on my truck. While you've got everything torn apart I would do a new oil cooler for it as well with new screens and all. Probably plan on most of your Saturday being taken up. Hope this helps, if you need anything lemme know!

newman

Reaction score
I agree with Zac. Plan an entire day and replace the oil cooler while you have it apart.

Remember EGR deletes are illegal and most won't pass a visual inspection so make sure you don't have emissions or inspections.

Is it an early of late 04?

davey99ps

Reaction score
It was built 01/04, not sure if that's an early 04 or not. Thanks for the help guys, an if you wanna pm me a price on the sinister delete and oil cooler parts I'd appreciate it

davey99ps

Reaction score
I'm trying to make this truck as reliable as I can for this guy. This truck is babied, I talked him into ditching the bully dog chip an going with an sct. With that being said, do you guys think studs are necessary? I'm trying to save him as much $ as I can, but still be reliable.

ZacPSD60

Reaction score
Studs will be necessary if he's running any of the higher power tunes, but if it's babied all the time, I'd ask him if he wants to take the risk. It's gonna be the same price if you get em done now or wait til the gaskets blow anyways.

bad moose

Reaction score
Get the SCT custom tuned for truck without studs. As long as he is not dragging or pulling hard he should be ok. Remember there is always a risk when modifying truck. I have no studs and truck is fine. I "baby" mine and clean her out every once awhile, with no problems. I run the higher power tunes, for fuel econ, with no problems. Now with that being said, if he is going to drive and pull the piss out of it, stud it and be done.

ZacPSD60

Reaction score
Get the SCT custom tuned for truck without studs. As long as he is not dragging or pulling hard he should be ok. Remember there is always a risk when modifying truck. I have no studs and truck is fine. I "baby" mine and clean her out every once awhile, with no problems. I run the higher power tunes, for fuel econ, with no problems. Now with that being said, if he is going to drive and pull the piss out of it, stud it and be done.

Exactly

davey99ps

Reaction score

Well this guy drives the truck like an old man. He's not interested in big hp an all that. The hardest the truck gets worked is pushing snow in the winter. Also, $ is pretty tight for him, so anywhere I can save a few bucks without sacrificing reliability is gonna help. He's a super nice guy, an would give you the shirt off his back, which is why I told him I'd do the work for him. Like I said, I'm trying to do this on as tight of a budget as i can, but still make it a reliable truck. Thanks again everyone for getting me going in the right direction

bad moose

Reaction score
Just have him plow snow with the tow tune. The agressive street is great for the milage gain. JMO I'm sure someone will chime in on what's safest to plow snow with.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Just have him plow snow with the tow tune. The agressive street is great for the milage gain. JMO I'm sure someone will chime in on what's safest to plow snow with.

Yea I talked to him an gave him his options an we're jus gonna do the delete an oil cooler. I see you're deleted, about how many hours should I plan on this taking me? I'm good at turning wrenches, I've done all the work on my own truck an plenty of my friends stuff, its all mainly been 7.3 stuff though.

bad moose

Reaction score
I took my time and it took about 9 hours. Just laid everything out as it came off and then everything went back together smoothly. The biggest secret is to leave the the exhaust up pipe loose and loosen the driver's side hook up the turbo outlet and bolt turbo into mount then tighten the up pipes. If you don't you'll be doing the exhaust again. Just don't rush you'll be fine.

windrunner408

Reaction score
:whs: it took me about that long if not a little more but it was the first time I had ever torn into a diesel motor ever and I did some other stuff. I would plan for a FULL day on a Saturday. Pretty straight forward install, hardest part is getting the turbo out.

davey99ps

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to Zac at PTP for answering all my dumb questions an getting me set-up with the stuff I need to do this project

sly1types

Reaction score
I just did a Sinister delete a couple weeks ago...It takes a long time, nothing was really hard. It took around 14hrs taking our time.

Make sure and do a oil cooler while you are in there.