Snowplow Restore Project

big_stroker

Reaction score
I had been looking for a decent snow plow for a few years now and I finally found one that needed a little work for the right price.

Its a 8.5' Western Uni-mount that came off an OBS

Here are some pictures and what I have done along the way.

Pictures I got when I found out it was for sale. Was sitting behind a barn for a few years.

After I got it home and put in the shop to start looking it over. I pulled the pump apart at this time and put in new fluid and had to clean up the elector motor and put in a new + post.

OBS Mount that I re-enginered to fit on my SD. After getting it on the truck I hate how low the mount is when the plow is not on the truck. But that is were the pivot point needs to be. I ordered the new style Ultra-mount from Western/Fisher so that when im not using the plow i can take off the uni-mount conversion and it will only show about an inch below the bumper. Will post pics when it comes in this week.

Got it mounted to the truck to move it outside to power wash it. Plow weighs around 800lbs and the truck only went down 1/2". I need to reposition my lights.

Last edited:

big_stroker

Reaction score
I got around to prepping the plow for primer and paint.

I tool paint stripper and a big wire wheel on a high power buffer to get the rust and rest of the paint off.

This is right after I got done putting everything in primer

Last edited:

big_stroker

Reaction score
I have some Ford 8N red for the plow and pump and black for the light bar and ware bar.

I'm going to try and have it completed sometime this week.

Atsah

Reaction score
Cool.. I notice lots of guys up here rebuilding older plows.. Plow prices have gotten out of control in the last few years.. $5500 for a new Fisher is insane..

I bought this one (9ft MM2) last year from a guy in CT for $3 grand, it's like new and Fisher gets $5,700 for the same plow..

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    737.8 KB · Views: 64
  • 015 (2).JPG
    015 (2).JPG
    780.5 KB · Views: 59

big_stroker

Reaction score
Thats a nice plow. My brother lives in Vermont and I wanted him to find me an older fisher because they arent around here but everything was 3k or more. I paid $500 for this old Western and $600 for the new mount but I figured I will upgrade to a newer Fisher or Western in a few years and all already have the new mount. Plus in Indiana we dont get the snow in a year that you guys get in one storm.

Atsah

Reaction score
Ya, there would be no way in hell I would have paid 3 grand for mine if I didn't make 3 grand a year plowing with it..

onebad7.3

Reaction score
Looking good, I just bought a 2 year old Boss straight blade for $3k. Little more than I wanted to spend, don't plow much

big_stroker

Reaction score

We will probably only get a few inches but I might have to try it lol.

Ya, there would be no way in hell I would have paid 3 grand for mine if I didn't make 3 grand a year plowing with it..

Yeah I know what your saying I mostly bought it to plow my drive and my parents and maybe a few others on the way. Not trying to make money.

Looks like its coming along nicely. Doing more good for you than it was for me lol

Haha yeah. I had to free the pump and motor but after that it worked great. It will need a new ware bar but i wont plow enough to worry about it this year.

cool project, hope it comes in handy this winter

They are saying Indiana and Ohio is to have a bad winter so I hope I get to use it. Will be pissed if i don't.

big_stroker

Reaction score
Thanks.

Going to get the black part painted tonight. And my new mount should be in today. We are to get 4-6 inches of white stuff tonight but its going to be to wet to mess with.

big_stroker

Reaction score
Well I haven't finished it yet but I did put the new bracket on the truck so it wouldnt hang down so low.

Going to try and finish it all up this weekend.

Here is a picture.

big_stroker

Reaction score
Well I put the other part of the mount on the truck and finished painting the plow and got it hooked up and pulled it out and took a few pictures.

I need to adjust the lights and bend one of the light brackets back to where it needs to be.

Ulta to Uni-mount kit

Hooked up to make sure everything was working correctly.

Ad8 PRODIGY

Reaction score
Looks real good! How hard was the complete project, meaning the disassembly and painting of the plow?

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.