Sub Options With Power Rear Slider

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Like the title says, what are you guys with a rear power slider doing for boxes/subs? I was hoping to do a pair of 10"s but short of doing some sort of shallow sub, this doesn't look to be in the cards?:confused:

Snake

Reaction score
Been there, done that with the behind the rear seat box and was underwhelmed. Had a friend fabricate a custom box that replaced my center console and there was a 500% increase in SPL, accuracy, and quality. Best part is that he was able to use the top 4-5" of my original console and the top of the box sits at the same height as the arm rests. He's willing to make more if you're interested.

BTW, I have 2 JL 10's in the console and no one believes it.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Sorry guys, I kinda forgot about this thread.

Been there, done that with the behind the rear seat box and was underwhelmed. Had a friend fabricate a custom box that replaced my center console and there was a 500% increase in SPL, accuracy, and quality. Best part is that he was able to use the top 4-5" of my original console and the top of the box sits at the same height as the arm rests. He's willing to make more if you're interested.

BTW, I have 2 JL 10's in the console and no one believes it.
I'm not sure I'm willing to loose my center console. I'm not looking to impress anyone. I just want a good sounding well balanced system that can hit decently.

My last system (many years ago) was using a pair of 12" Orion dvcs. They were in a custom ported box in the trunk of my 68' Mustang with the ports aimed through hidden openings in the hat tray. I forget now exacly which amp I had pushing those but it was the next to biggest Orion amp back then. This was the very early ninetys btw. I do remember it was big and red. LOL

Blah blah blah, my point is I don't need anything that serious anymore. Although, custom boxes do appeal to me.

I used a box from SPL2k spl2k.com and two JL 13TW5's
It sounds great, and is an excellent fit.
Sweet. Thanks for the link. That will fill the bill nicely.

Another question. Assuming I went with one of the spl2k boxes, which will sound better? A single 12" ported or 2 12"s sealed? I suppose that depends on what I'm after? I've been out of this stuff for so long, can anyone clue me in to the different attributes of one over another?

I would assume the ported will perform nicer at lower MHz and the sealed will punch harder? Am I close?

Snake

Reaction score
here is another option http://www.supercrewsound.com/F-250F-350.html if it wasn't posted?

I still need to do something myself I built a box with 2 10's for between the rear seat and console but I want to go stealth and get them out of view

I had their behind the rear seat box and am glad I went a different route. There isn't enough clearance between the box and the back of the rear seat to allow the sub to work properly (speaker contacts the back of the seat).

F-117HWK

Reaction score
Another vote for SPL2K. The owner is a professional in the car audio world and his personal vehicle is a Ford truck if I remember correctly. Shipping is fast, product is awesome.

I dont know if Michael has ventured over here but I know he was over at PSN a good amount. Call him up and he will answer any questions for ya.

I went with a Pioneer 12" shallow and I have been very happy.

Last edited:

Chris

Reaction score
Custom Sounds here in SA did two 10w3s in my 06 and 11. Great clear sound and itll bump if you want it to. They can do it w/ or w/o power sliding rear.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
Two Image Dynamics 8's in tuned ported box. Thats my vote...
Where did you pick those up? I was initially thinking 8"s given the space available untill I saw people stuffing 12"s back there. That got my wheels turning. Kinda like deciding between 190s and 225s. The decision depends on how much do you wanna spend on the rest of it to keep up. LOL

Custom Sounds here in SA did two 10w3s in my 06 and 11. Great clear sound and itll bump if you want it to. They can do it w/ or w/o power sliding rear.
Do they ship pre-made stuff? Link?

I assume the tray needs to come out for any of these options, correct?

powerstrokin15

Reaction score
heard a lot of good out of SPL2k's stuff. im gonna try one. as for sub setup, mine and another shop truck run a JL 13tw5 single with a kicker 400 amp. sounds very good, just enough bass, hits hard down low.

wetnsloppy4x

Reaction score
I had a local guy build me a box for the exact same setup with a power rear slider.
I dropped by a local shop to see what they could do. Guy looked like a deer in the headlights when he saw what there was to work with back there. LOL
There are some higher end shops in Boise, but I cringe to think what they'd want to build a box. I douubt they could compare, pricewise, to the spl2k box.

Id talk to spl2k and get a ported box for 2 8's. And then ill get you set-up on some amazing 8's and an amp for that beast.
I wasn't aware you sold audio stuff. I just may have to hit you up after Christmas and have had a chance to recover a little. So far I've spent waaaayyyyy more than I'd planned on the wifey. It was a tough choice between 1 carat diamond studs or Cass 190's for my truck. LOL
She doesn't ask for much but this should bank me some love when I hit her with sticks and compounds next year.:)

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score
Another for spl2k. I had the jl 8w7 stealth box and was a little unsatisfied so I added a 13tw5 behind the rear seat and im pretty happy. I honestly think the 13 does most if the work. If I had someone to tune the amp im sure it'd sound much better

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
1508's might be too deep, id be more inclined to run Incriminators I8's or Sundowns 8's. Id have to see what depth you guys are working with. Im going to contact SPL2K myself on this and a few other things.

I think 8's ported would definitely be a nice set-up, 2 8's is roughly close to the cone area of 1 12", and if you can run a standard 8" over a shallow 12", power handling will go up as well.

jdc753

Reaction score
1508's might be too deep, id be more inclined to run Incriminators I8's or Sundowns 8's. Id have to see what depth you guys are working with. Im going to contact SPL2K myself on this and a few other things.

I think 8's ported would definitely be a nice set-up, 2 8's is roughly close to the cone area of 1 12", and if you can run a standard 8" over a shallow 12", power handling will go up as well.

That's what I was thinking, the DD 8's are beefy suckers. Gare has a pair of id8's in his truck. Seems like 5.5" is all there will be for mounting depth, 6.5" bottom 17" tall and 3" at the top for trucks with 04+ rear seats.