6.4 at Ford for the 4th time now!

06powerstroke

Reaction score
I am getting so sick of this truck (not the 6.0, lol). Should have got rid of it when it had it's first issues. It decided to dump oil all over the road last weekend while pulling a 40ft 5ver. Almost ruined my 4 day riding trip, but the 6.0 came to the rescue! I just can't believe this thing, went to Ford at 300 miles for limp mode. Had fuel in the crankcase from high pressure leak, then at 1k for the same issue. It was back again at 20k for a leaking radiator and a leaking rear main, turned out it needed the whole bedplate replaced. Now at 60k something major happened, its running real rough and lost about 8 quarts of oil on the ground, but I can't see where it's coming from. Think the first issue could have caused this new one? I'll post back with what they find...

Cody

Reaction score
That sucks man.. evertime I find a decent truck i read something like this and remind myself this is part of the reason im staying away from a 6.4 for now :/

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Was the oil still full?
Stuck injector?

Dipstick was dry, my first thought was the oil filled with fuel again but that doesn't seem to be the case. The oil it lost did not seem diluted in any way. I also thought it was a stuck injector but it doesn't really smoke at all. Except EGT's did seem high after it started loosing power.

Last edited:

06powerstroke

Reaction score
Well "supposedly" Ford engineers came out to look at the truck, looks like a 90% chance it will get a whole new engine. They won't saw what failed, I think they are afraid I may post about it on the internet, lol.

youngstroker

Reaction score
when a motor has major failure it is hard to tell what went wrong for example i just had to put a motor in a 2011 sonata and by the time i was able to look at it all i saw was half a rod in the pan along with the cap, bearings, and half the upper oil pan real hard to tell what went wrong, these cars have direct injection so they are close to a diesel, maybe an injector stuck open and washed out the cylinder or a cap bolt failed or the rod just broke it is real hard to tell and most techs don't get paid to diesect it, all i do is open it up dose it need a long block or a short block put in what it needs. i don't think they are with holding information they prouble don't know they just know they have to put a motor in your truck. sorry to hear the trouble i hope u don't have any trouble with the new motor

06powerstroke

Reaction score
when a motor has major failure it is hard to tell what went wrong for example i just had to put a motor in a 2011 sonata and by the time i was able to look at it all i saw was half a rod in the pan along with the cap, bearings, and half the upper oil pan real hard to tell what went wrong, these cars have direct injection so they are close to a diesel, maybe an injector stuck open and washed out the cylinder or a cap bolt failed or the rod just broke it is real hard to tell and most techs don't get paid to diesect it, all i do is open it up dose it need a long block or a short block put in what it needs. i don't think they are with holding information they prouble don't know they just know they have to put a motor in your truck. sorry to hear the trouble i hope u don't have any trouble with the new motor

Well I got a little more info. They say one of the pistons cracked, and I can believe that. When I asked how does that cause 8 quarts of oil to leak out while it was parked they were very quick to rush me off the phone. It just seems a little strange...

06powerstroke

Reaction score
So the truck is back. I read the RO and found out what the issue was. The tech states an injector stuck open which broke the piston, the piston then proceeded to destroy the head and the block. So the truck has a new short block and one new head...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.