Thinking about starting a new project frame chopping questions inside

AKHILF

Reaction score
To start this off my first truck was an 89 f150 standard cab short bed 5 speed. I put a lot of time and money in that truck painted it to but then one day i decided I wanted something newer. So I sold it and then started going through trucks like crazy. Now i have the 03 6.0 and i like it a lot and i have way to much into it to ever sell it not that i want to though. Back to the topic though I'm thinking about looking for a 94-97 F-250 standard cab long bed manual most likely work truck interior. I want to kind of recreate my first truck but with a 7.3. I want to chop the frame and put a short bed on it. I'v chopped a frame and did the same thing but it was on a chevy so I do know most of the ins and outs. But has anyone else on here done it? Once i get that done ill paint it then start messing around with the motor. Well not true im sure ill put a 6 position on it right away. Any help with ideas will be great. Right now all this is, is one big idea.

dirtboy25

Reaction score
Been done many times...

I think it's "BigStroker" on here that is in the progress of doing one right now.

He has a build thread on here, find it and follow along. I'll see if I can't fetch it real quick.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Chopping frames down is old hat. Measure a bunch - cut the frame using a "Z" cut so you have surfaces to help align and square the new frame joint - plus it allows for more surface area to weld to and make it strong - I always chamfer the edges good and plate the inside of the frame - then burn it in hot so I'm welding the two frame pieces and the backing plate all together at the frame joint - plus burn in all the way around the backing plate - its not going anywhere at that point.

AKHILF

Reaction score
So like 15 1/2 inches? Did all the bolt holes line up or did you just make you own? What other little problems did you run into like breaks what did you do about the drive shaft any other little things I should expect that maybe you didnt? I can pick up a north oil slope truck for cheap that dosnt have many miles just a bunch of idle hours. This isnt going to be a show truck but I do want it to look good and have the stance close to my first f150 maybe even drop the back down a bit. Ill be able to to figure most of that out i think. I also want to get just 2 nice bucket seats to put in it. This is just going to be my daily driver and ill just drive my other truck to car shows when i want to show off. I'm sure the 7.3 will be getting its share or performance mods. My 6.0's at the point were if i want to do anything ill have to do tranny injectors and turbo and I bet i can build this new truck for a fraction of that cost.

cumminskiller

Reaction score
I dont remember the exact numbers but it was right at 16 inches. I choose to do it right behind the cab because it was the flattest part in the frame. The fuel lines, brake line, tailight wiring will all need to be re routed and or shortened. Once everything was in place and welded up just took a few measurements and had a driveshaft made. The truck i started with was a one ton so i had to take a bunch of springs out of the rear. Sits pretty level now but i would still like to get it sitting alot lower.

AKHILF

Reaction score
Sounds like the same plan I have. I found a truck. It got hit in the bed everything else looks great the frame wasnt touched and if something was wrong with the frame I have a friend with a frame rack. The truck has 100,000 miles and they want 4,000 for it. Only bummer is its a auto. the rest of the truck is nice though.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.