HID install problems.....2000 superduty

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Hey guys i sent you an email regarding my issue but i figured id post it up and see if someone had an answer or similar problem.

I went to install my kit today, which came in super quick, and had an issue. When i removed the stock bulb and replaced it with the HID, i found that the factory retaining collar no longer fit due to the wires coming out and how big the back of the bulb is.

Therefore the only thing holding the bulb in is the rubber gasket and the three tabs. The big factory collar which locks onto the outside of the light can't be used. This doesnt seem correct to me with the amount of ratting and banging our trucks do.

Anyone have a similar issue or fix for it? do i need to order a larger collar? or what. because if not i think i'd have to return them since i highly doubt they'd hold up for me. Thanks alot.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Yeah i mean the bulbs fit in, but the big collar retainer condom style thing no longer fits.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Does the bulb feel tight? I remember the collar you are talking about when I took mine off but never did HID on the old lights

GreenMachine

Reaction score
bulb feels tight, but nothing is holding it besides that rubber gasket you know?

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Sorry, yes the three tabs on the bulb yes, but it doesnt twist into the light

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Someone should be along to better help, I looked at the bulb online and it looks like it should have the coller maybe lol

Wojo

Reaction score
Post a picture of your bulb. The i've used 3 different types of bulbs in the superdutys and wanna see what your working with.

sethc24

Reaction score
you have to get everything in the right order. Its a bit of a puzzle until you figure it out.
If you pop the collar off the hid bulb put the bulb into the "condom " plastic thing. Then align then put the bulb collar back on it all fits in there.

Wojo

Reaction score
Some of them have a collor u put in first. U then put the factory lock ring on and then lock the hid bulb in the the collar.

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Got it all figured out. The guys at retro were a big help. It was just me being a dumbazz and not installing in the correct order. They work freakin awesome

retrosolutions

Reaction score
you have to get everything in the right order. Its a bit of a puzzle until you figure it out.
If you pop the collar off the hid bulb put the bulb into the "condom " plastic thing. Then align then put the bulb collar back on it all fits in there.

Head lamp prophylactic... think safety first gentlemen!

Got it all figured out. The guys at retro were a big help. It was just me being a dumbazz and not installing in the correct order. They work freakin awesome

Glad to help you out bud!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.