88 Bronco - Possible 7.3 swap?

MINK

Reaction score
So I just picked up a 88 Fullsize Bronco with the 5.0/auto - Plans are to completely restore the body/frame over winter but then I will need to get the power in order. Instead of building the 5.0 i'd really like to go ahead and swap in a 7.3. So I just have acouple questions while I'm kicking the idea around.

Can the original auto trans behind the 5.0 be built and matted to the 7.3? The auto is a e40d correct?

Custom motor mounts need to be made? Maybe grab some out of a original obs powerstroke?

Front suspension will need to be upgraded - I have no questions there.

Anything special need to be done to the driveline besides larger axles? transfer case live?

Other than that I should be good with swapping in the engine with electronics - should be somewhat straight forward as far as that goes.

Maybe gauge cluster out of a obs diesel?

Any insight from those who have done like swaps would be great.

Here are some pics of my last 88 Bronc - it was my first truck that I had also built with my father but ended up turning into a bad night... This project will eventualy be Black aswell but lets hope I can keep it without wrecking:)

Attachments

• bronco1.JPG
    bronco1.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 64
  • bronco2.JPG
    bronco2.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 62
  • bronco3.JPG
    bronco3.JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 63

Jhaddox

Reaction score
PM Wayne on this...he put a 7.3 in a Bronco and would be the guy to answer the ?'s with first hand knowledge

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
Buy an OBS stroker with a d60 for cheap (cough cough) swap the entire doghouse and all of its contents, attach axles from OBS to bronco frame with included RSK.... and enjoy....

94.5stroker

Reaction score
:popcorn:

I'm interested as well I wanna put my 7.3 into an 89 F-150. Should be about the same. You should do a build thread when the time comes!

MINK

Reaction score
Buy an OBS stroker with a d60 for cheap (cough cough) swap the entire doghouse and all of its contents, attach axles from OBS to bronco frame with included RSK.... and enjoy....

If you'll take 2gs I'll be set:toast:

MINK

Reaction score
:popcorn:

I'm interested as well I wanna put my 7.3 into an 89 F-150. Should be about the same. You should do a build thread when the time comes!

When the time comes i'll start one; will most likely be in the spring but I will include all the progress I've done over winter.

I love your sig.

94.5stroker

Reaction score
When the time comes i'll start one; will most likely be in the spring but I will include all the progress I've done over winter.

I love your sig.

Good I'll be waiting haha...... and yeah the sig makes me laugh everytime I think back to that thread haha