D-Leted Cold Start Concerns

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I recently worked in -33*F for a few days. With 0 being a regular high for a week.

The stock trucks were left running round the clock and for the first time I saw 6.7L putting smoke out the tailpipe on STOCK trucks. Not pretty. However they did a long hard regen once rolling and it all cleared up.

DeIeted would just be a nice insurance policy for d p f problems in sub zero temps.

Maybe look into several things. A solid winter front for 0 operating temps to keep coolant temps up and also a High idle mod. You wouldn't believe what another 300rpm does for cylinder temps on a idling truck.

dsmracing1

Reaction score
Mine smokes a fair bit at an Idle when it's really cold out upon startup. We're taking -30 or colder however. Smokes like a beat up 6.0 If she's not plugged in ahaha. Being plugged in makes all he difference for me at least. Once she's warmed up, between the winter front and the high Idle, she's all good though...

Last edited:

04cr450

Reaction score
-30... I can't imagine. I always ask how that temp feels lol I know cold but I keep telling the wife I want to just take a drive up to Canada on a cold week, get out of the truck, And feel for myself what these Temps actually feel like. I know crazy but.. I always wonder because I daily.work in Temps around 20 and into the teens in the winter at our lowest. It's not cold to me.because I obviously dress for it.

sootie

Reaction score
-30... I can't imagine. I always ask how that temp feels lol I know cold but I keep telling the wife I want to just take a drive up to Canada on a cold week, get out of the truck, And feel for myself what these Temps actually feel like. I know crazy but.. I always wonder because I daily.work in Temps around 20 and into the teens in the winter at our lowest. It's not cold to me.because I obviously dress for it.

your boogers freeze in your nose. the snow squeaks when you walk on it. if you recently had a shower, your hair will be ice. if your ears get cold enough to feel stiff, dont bend them in case they snap off LOL

sledneck_joe

Reaction score

Yeah it feels like your nostrils will freeze shut, and they kinda do hahah. You get used to it though, just have to dress for the weather.

Brian22

Reaction score
your boogers freeze in your nose. the snow squeaks when you walk on it. if you recently had a shower, your hair will be ice. if your ears get cold enough to feel stiff, dont bend them in case they snap off LOL

Screw that nonsense. I start complaining when the low temp is in the 30s. The only time I don't b*tch about the cold weather is if I'm hunting.

mfoltz

Reaction score
I have never notice it smoke much. Nothing like my 7.3. Now that was embarrassing

Tsgs69400

Reaction score
I notice a minor puff and haze for the first 30 seconds on my 6.7 but for some reason i do not recall much of any from my 6.4. I wonder if those factory dual turbos had something to do with that. I do notce more injector sound on the 6.7 cold vs the 6.4. Likley due to less sound from other areas tho. I suppose a lot of our opinions may be relative a bit. Lol

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score
Mine smokes like a b*tch when cold if not plugged in. I have started it at 0 degrees without using the glowplugs just to see if it would even lol, she did it but was pissed! Anyways, it's a straight piped diesel, she gonna smoke when cold. Don't worry bout it.

Jomax

Reaction score
Mine doesn't smoke all on a cold start here in AZ

LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenz

Reaction score
Started mine at -6 degrees, it smokes pretty good for a few minutes. Diesels do when it's cold. The only thing that concerns me is that it will go almost immediately to fast idle. Feel bad for the motor. My 7.3 would idle for a little before fast idle. Wondering if there is a way to change that.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm starting to learn that new diesel owners that claim "smokes pretty good" is in fact nothing at all to be alarmed about...

You guys haven't seen smoke pretty good until you watch a 12v start at 0*F. Lol....

onyx

Reaction score
I'm with White15 on this one. Mine smokes like bit*h as well! Up here in Alberta where it actually gets cold! I start it at -30C (-22F) Plugged in and it still smokes like mad. Smokes just the same at -15C (5F) not plugged in. I will try and get a video at some point.
Bottom line, it is going to smoke if it's cold!

cappa

Reaction score
I'm starting to learn that new diesel owners that claim "smokes pretty good" is in fact nothing at all to be alarmed about...

You guys haven't seen smoke pretty good until you watch a 12v start at 0*F. Lol....

I think that must be it. I'm up in Alberta as well and have started it up at -30 c. It seems pretty clean to me. The white cloud is nothing to be alarmed about, it's going to do the same thing stock when it high idles. Buddy of mine had a 12v, start that thing in the same conditions and the street would be a bluish cloud for 1/2 a block and reek of diesel fumes. That to me is smokes like crazy. I agree on the high idle thou, wish it would idle low for a min or so first. One of the reasons I switched to 5w-40

Jacob @ No Limit

Reaction score

I used to have a 12v with no grid heater.. she was pissed when it got super cold lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.