Oil temps

jimmystoys

Reaction score
So jimdawg185 just curious, do you know what temperature oil boils at? Its molecular makeup is probably already damaged by high temps before it reaches it's boiling point?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
So jimdawg185 just curious, do you know what temperature oil boils at? Its molecular makeup is probably already damaged by high temps before it reaches it's boiling point?

That's different for every oil, but 500 degrees is about the average flash point. That's not really much concern. It's the oxidative breakdown at 280-300 that begins to accelerate. And believe it or not, the mineral based oils actually have an advantage in a peculiar way. Granted, not much oil that's called a synthetic actually is any longer. It's mostly group 3 mineral. But that's beside my point. Mineral base oils have the tendency to resolublize varnish. Where Synthetics can't because the nature of the molecule. It's very complete so it's more robust, but that also keeps it from solubility. That's why really good PAO Synthetics are so expensive. The base oils are not cheap, but you also need a great carrier stock, a special add pack, and esters. Mineral base oils will soak up that crap, to a point, then they sludge up badly quickly. It's six of one, half dozen of the other. Best practice is to change the oil often if you're working it hard. If you drive a lot and want to extend drains under those conditions, you need analysis to verify the contamination and oils oxidative life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimmystoys

Reaction score
I do find this interesting lol. With all the oils being changed in engines and whatnot, I get it that it breaks down and changes with heat/deterioration, how much of it can be recycled?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I do find this interesting lol. With all the oils being changed in engines and whatnot, I get it that it breaks down and changes with heat/deterioration, how much of it can be recycled?

I'm very against recycling oil. So I'm not going to give you an in biased answer.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Just went to Navarre Florida and back to North Louisiana round trip, (beautiful getaway with family at Santa Rosa RV. resort... highly recommended). Gross weight 22k. 70mph mostly. Never exceeded 217*F. Eot

I drive the truck around gauges. Always have, have for years. From my 99 f250 and last 12 trucks in the last 15 years.

Never exceeded 1050*F at the exhaust manifold.

It's all in how you drive the truck.... if it's a decent grade, I may drop as low as 4th gear and still hold 70mph.

Now if 108*F ambient temp in Pheonix Arizona... your just SOL!!!

Last edited:

jimmystoys

Reaction score
It would be great to know. We've come this far, but understand if the answer doesn't come out truthfully or biased. Not going to do anyone any good. Recycling is becoming big thing nowadays...The oil just gets discarded? I'm sure some of it gets used somehow... Anybody?

CATDiezel

Reaction score
It would be great to know. We've come this far, but understand if the answer doesn't come out truthfully or biased. Not going to do anyone any good. Recycling is becoming big thing nowadays...The oil just gets discarded? I'm sure some of it gets used somehow... Anybody?

Being I work in the crude and NG world. The discarded oil goes back to refining and is blended back with crude most of the time. So essentially it gets turned back into whatever.

I have never EVER ever seen recycled waste oil go back to an engine oil manufacturing facility.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Being I work in the crude and NG world. The discarded oil goes back to refining and is blended back with crude most of the time. So essentially it gets turned back into whatever.

I have never EVER ever seen recycled waste oil go back to an engine oil manufacturing facility.

There's a lot of companies that do this, and it's ridiculous. The mines in West Virginia are riddled with recycled oil salesman. 2-3$ a gallon CJ4 spec recycled oil and 1.50 hydraulic oil. It destroys machines, but nobody cares, all they look at is price.

PDT1081

Reaction score

CATDiezel

Reaction score
There's a lot of companies that do this, and it's ridiculous. The mines in West Virginia are riddled with recycled oil salesman. 2-3$ a gallon CJ4 spec recycled oil and 1.50 hydraulic oil. It destroys machines, but nobody cares, all they look at is price.

I know there is recycled oil salesman I've just never seen it go back to manufacturer to use again. Only ever seen it go strait back to the bulk unprocessed crude refinining and separation facilities.

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
I know there is recycled oil salesman I've just never seen it go back to manufacturer to use again. Only ever seen it go strait back to the bulk unprocessed crude refinining and separation facilities.
This. We have special runs set aside just to crack and process waste oils. We buy it for cbeap and all we only make D1 D2 and then heavy weight fuels for other large equipment. EX: Cruise ships, cargo ships, asphalt boilers...... fuel is treated more and batch tested every 3 hours instead of the std 6. In the long run it is about 5 to 7 percent more profit than to cut regular crude. We do a special run about 2 times a year about 800 to 900k barrels each run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
On another note. My oil temp got up too 217 today rolling 70 fighting a 15 mph headwind. Backed off speed to 66 dropped back down to 210.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
This. We have special runs set aside just to crack and process waste oils. We buy it for cbeap and all we only make D1 D2 and then heavy weight fuels for other large equipment. EX: Cruise ships, cargo ships, asphalt boilers...... fuel is treated more and batch tested every 3 hours instead of the std 6. In the long run it is about 5 to 7 percent more profit than to cut regular crude. We do a special run about 2 times a year about 800 to 900k barrels each run.

That's definitely a different animal than the guys I'm talking about. There's some backwoods jack wagons running used oil through a centrifuge, adding some zddp, and re selling it. That's what I get to deal with. If anyone mentions it I just leave now. I'm running AI and IIOT predictive analytics for my customers, no way my stuff touches a machine with 2$ oil in it, complete waste of a good algorithm not to mention my time. Sorry, this is a sore subject for me.

jimdawg185

Reaction score

Right on.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Right on.

That is a scary thought tho. I know you can purchase recycled oil for engines. We send off 100 of thousands of barrels of waste engine oil from stationary big bore engines and it goes back to a refinery.

Daddy454

Reaction score
I wish there was a magic bullet solution for this issue.This has bothered me as long as I have had my '11 F350.Just this past Sat.,I was pulling my 7k TT in 85* ,and my temps easily hit 260+ on a couple grades.Running an SCT tuner on tow tune.Does cool off fairly quickly on the declines,but man I hate it running so hot.I've gotten used to it,but I don't like it.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
I wish there was a magic bullet solution for this issue.This has bothered me as long as I have had my '11 F350.Just this past Sat.,I was pulling my 7k TT in 85* ,and my temps easily hit 260+ on a couple grades.Running an SCT tuner on tow tune.Does cool off fairly quickly on the declines,but man I hate it running so hot.I've gotten used to it,but I don't like it.

I'm currently working on an offline solution that doesn't interrupt the full flow system and works as a bypass filter. November is the launch Target.

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm currently working on an offline solution that doesn't interrupt the full flow system and works as a bypass filter. November is the launch Target.

I'm down!

Latest posts

Members online