2001 f250 4x4 shocks

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Looking to make my truck ride a little smoother. I know it's a 3/4 4×4 but any improvement would be great. It's a 01 f250 7.3 4x4 with 274,000 miles. It's not lifted and has 285/75r16 tires. The tag said it came with 265/75r16 which I will going back with.
Not sure what shocks are on the truck they have no markings on them, the front shocks are yellow and the rear are silver. I feel sure the previous owner changed them but don't know for sure.
I'm looking at bilstein 4600. The shocks aren't leaking but how do you tell when they need to be changed?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If you are looking at bilstiens, just go to the 5100s. No telling what the shocks are or could be without markings...

live life full throttle

dsberman94

Reaction score
No reason to go back to a stock size tire. Not going to
Make any sort of difference other than maybe price.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Hey thanks for the replies. I had ordered the 4600s already and I got them Saturday. They should be better than what's on the truck now. I'm gonna have the tires rotated and see what I can get out of them.
When I need new ones I'm gonna go back to oem size as the truck will see no off road use from me.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I watched a couple videos on installing the shocks can they be installed upside down by mistake? If the name is right side up does that mean they are installed correct?
Just don't want to make a dumb mistake I'm no mechanic and just want to do it correct the first time.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I watched a couple videos on installing the shocks can they be installed upside down by mistake? If the name is right side up does that mean they are installed correct?

Just don't want to make a dumb mistake I'm no mechanic and just want to do it correct the first time.
I think there is an arrow on them saying what direction to put them.

live life full throttle

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
I think there is an arrow on them saying what direction to put them.

live life full throttle

I didn't see a arrow. On the front shocks the blue protective part that keeps dirt and moisture out goes on the bottom from what I have seen. Just seems upside down from every other shock I have seen.

Overdrive

Reaction score
I didn't see a arrow. On the front shocks the blue protective part that keeps dirt and moisture out goes on the bottom from what I have seen. Just seems upside down from every other shock I have seen.

That’s upside down. Never seen a shock or a strut with the body mounted above the plunger rod.
I would turn the shocks around before you go buy new ones. If theire installed wrong there may be nothing wrong with other than improper install.

When I swap shocks I usually go with bilsteins. If I’m looking at selling I tend to throw Rancho shocks on there if they are needed.

Latest posts

Members online