Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Aftermarket

Old 01-05-2020, 09:39 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Default Ground up rebuild for tired excursion

hey there, long time stalker of the site first time poster. So ill just get into it feb. 2019 I picked up a pretty clean 02 Excursion to replace a 09 burb that wasn't cutting it for pulling my TT, had some issues but nothing I couldn't fix in the driveway before camping season. fixed the little issues and installed f250 leafs and hellwig sway bar in the rear. I was worried after the first trip to the black hills that I was having high egt's so I installed dual pyros and a boost guage. well next camping trip I found out that the egts would hover around 850ish-1000ish on flat land and in hills I could smack 1500 in seconds, would start to climb and then take off when it down shifted, passenger side runs about 150-200 degrees hotter all the time. I checked boost leaks and fixed a lot before I even started towing with it. rebuilt turbo and installed WW with rebuild makes 22-23 psi boost on ts live wire guage little, a lil less on analog. so I got tired of feathering the thing to keep it out of 1500 egts when ever I got on it, and its tired at 270K so I found a good core early 01 with forged rods and decided im gonna spend some coin and build up a new motor and buy a new trans to go with it and swap them one weekend this coming summer. so I guess after that long break down I have been trying to build a parts list for it. I'm gonna stud everything but maybe the rods.
Other parts i'm thinking of getting is:
--205/30 or 80 sticks
--new hpop, probably adrenaline
--s366sxe with .91 housing to still be pretty responsive but I cant find info on if its laggy other then a couple posts but no one can agree on it, I have heard both ways
--full exhaust with muffler as I have 4 kids in it most of the time
--new cam as original number 8 exhaust roller took it out- open to options on this also found stage 2 that wasn't a bad price.
--910 valve springs unless anyone thinks they are gonna be an issue with boost- as I don't know what kinda boost this will make real world
--S&B CAI
--stage 2 sam wyse trans as I don't wanna rebuild a trans within a year of the swap
--6.0 cooler to go with it
--php hydra
--regulated return fuel kit
--build my own HPX as from what I have read it doesn't work with the t4 style
Im sure there is more but I can't think of it right now, any suggestions I am open to. Oh and this will mostly going to be a towing vehicle but I still wanna give my brother in law a run for his money in his cummins. sorry for the long post but any info/help would be great thanks
Old 01-06-2020, 05:09 AM
Colonel
Member's Gallery

Nice list!
My opinion....
6637 style intake, I've got a couple s&b intakes, and a 6637 set up. The 6637 is a better setup.
Skip the cam, you will make plenty of power with a stock cam for towing.
If by 205 cc injectors you are referring to large a-codes, I think you would be better off will a small hybrid, like a 238 cc body, 30 or 80& nozzle. Both of my towrigs have 80% nozzles, and I personally wouldn't go smaller.
Live tuning if at all possible, and especially if you go 80% nozzles or bigger.
Delipped pistons.
Balanced rotating assembly.
Regulated return style fuel system with spin on filters for serviceablity.
That will put you 450 hp, or so, with relatively little maintenance issues.
Good luck, and keep us updated!.
2002 with a couple of mods, grocerygetter
Old 01-06-2020, 08:21 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

The full force ones I'm looking at say the 205s are hybrids but the price is the same I believe for 238s

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-10-2020, 11:50 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Did a quick search for a shop manual are they non existent now days? Checked helm .com for them but they only have owners manuals.

Old 01-10-2020, 09:20 PM
Sponsor
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red Bus View Post
Did a quick search for a shop manual are they non existent now days? Checked helm .com for them but they only have owners manuals.

What are you wanting to know?

97 cc/sb- zf-5- Work in progress. PMF rsk w/ SD axles. 66 turbo, E fuel, 230/100s. SB DD clutch.

08 cc/sb - Elite bottom end - 2 fuelers, 59vgt/78atmo, Midwest 100% nozzles and coated heads etc....

www.teddavisautos.com

Many parts available for super duty trucks PM me.
Old 01-10-2020, 09:23 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by co04cobra View Post
What are you wanting to know?
Engine specs so I can rebuild it. Not seeing a whole lot but I'm also convinced the tapatalk search bar is not very good as I can type in 7.3 powerstroke and hardly anything pops up

Old 01-10-2020, 09:30 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Got this 01 for $500, supposedly was pulled for broken push rod after injectors were installed had 180k on it when I broke it down for a bad lifter and it chewed up the cam so I will have to get a new one or aftermarket one

Old 01-10-2020, 09:36 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

Also all the intake valves were pushed into the seats pretty bad first 2 were the worst ones you guys ever seen this? Never seen this I would think it's from hydrolocking the engine but I know on 3512 cat engines they blow the injectors through the valve cover if they hydrolock

Old 01-11-2020, 06:17 AM
Major
Member's Gallery

Never seen anything like that with the valves working their way into the head like that. Seems like maybe there is something else that contributed to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2020, 07:38 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwunter View Post
Never seen anything like that with the valves working their way into the head like that. Seems like maybe there is something else that contributed to that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The guy I bought it from said it came with the truck the previous owner had injectors done at for and went to get it the next day and said it ran really bad so for fixed it said they changed the motor because they found a broken push rod and lifter. Dont know if I buy that but I did find a broken broken push rod ball in the pan and number 8 was missing a lifter and pushrod and rocker.