Kc S300 63/68 or 63/73

Reaction score
Running a 2002 F250 as a dedicated tow rig, just exploded the billet wheel in my 38r. Was never really completely satisfied with that Turbo, although it was a significant upgrade over stock. So what are yawls opinionWhy or why wouldn't you get the bigger or smaller turbine wheel. Truck has stock injectors, 4" downpipe, bellowed up pipes, and ******d pedestal. Also running DP tunes

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
FWIW, with stock injectors I would run the smaller turbine housing for quick spool up.

Rusty
Yeah that is my plan, That is also what KC recommended, They also recommended the 68 whee, especially for a tow rig. The largest injector I would ever put on this truck would be the smalle hybrid, 205/30s and that's just because it's easier on the oil system I can detune to whatever's needed

mcnance865

Reaction score
Yeah that is my plan, That is also what KC recommended, They also recommended the 68 whee, especially for a tow rig. The largest injector I would ever put on this truck would be the smalle hybrid, 205/30s and that's just because it's easier on the oil system I can detune to whatever's needed

Well the 205/30s change everything. You need to decide if you are staying stock or going with 205/30. Stock and 160/0s would be great on the 68 turbine wheel, but you would want the 73 with anything bigger I would think.

Reaction score
Well the 205/30s change everything. You need to decide if you are staying stock or going with 205/30. Stock and 160/0s would be great on the 68 turbine wheel, but you would want the 73 with anything bigger I would think.
Yes I'd agree to an extent, except the truck will 90% of the time be towing. If injectors need replacing, im not going back with stock. And I've had 180/100s on another truck, and I loved them but they were oil hungry. That truck was 96, BASB turbo, and all the other crazy fun supporting mods lol. That truck towed like a freight train. So the reason for the small hybrids isn't for the max power, but to deliver fuel without taxing the oil system, and still make good reliable power. I would even consider an 80% nozzle, but not sure its recommended on smaller hybrids. I originally started with 160/0s on that previous truck, and to tow at the power levels I liked, couldn't ever keep egts in check, going bigger made all the world of difference.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Sounds like what you really need then is a T4 setup with the 364.5/.91 with the small turbine and 205/30s. That should do exactly what your asking and do it much better than a drop in will.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I have 180/30s so not exactly apples to apples but with the 364.5 with the larger wheel and .91 housing in the tow tune does great with only smoke happening from flat footing it from a dead stop. If your staying stock I’d do the smaller housing. If you go bigger than stock nozzle I’d go bigger housing.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I’m looking at trying one but I want to be certain I get the right size. I tow at higher elevations and I think I’m going with 160/30’s or 160/80’s for my tow rig. I think either size would work bit which one is better???

rusty1161

Reaction score
I’m looking at trying one but I want to be certain I get the right size. I tow at higher elevations and I think I’m going with 160/30’s or 160/80’s for my tow rig. I think either size would work bit which one is better???

I have 160/30’s and the 363/73mm housing with 3.73 gears on 33” tires. My tunes are pretty “dated” since they are 7-8 years old probably. But the truck runs and pulls great. I’ve towed 6,000 pounds a few times and it does well. I know that’s not very heavy but it’s all I’ve had the opportunity to tow so far.

That being said, I think your tuning is going to make all he difference once you pick your high quality injectors. I would love to have my truck live tuned, but haven’t had a chance to yet.

Rusty

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Thanks rusty. I’m just trying for a no fuss setup that tows well and doesn’t need a ton of big supporting mods. It’s more of a work rig not a super tow monster.

mcnance865

Reaction score
Thanks rusty. I’m just trying for a no fuss setup that tows well and doesn’t need a ton of big supporting mods. It’s more of a work rig not a super tow monster.

160/30s or 180/30 is what you want then. 63/73 turbo. Could need trans mods or a built trans if towing heavy.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
You think 63/73 at higher elevations??? Interesting. I haven’t called
KC turbo yet to see what they recommend but I’m pretty set on 160/30’s and a drop in turbo. I’m on pmr’s so less is more for this work setup.

dsrace

Reaction score
Any more opinions from people running the two turbos mentioned above?
new to the forum but have popped in a time or two in the past.

i found this thread interesting as i run hybrid 205/30's from full force. i installed a t4 set to run the borgwarner sxe 366 with .91 ex housing. i also installed the adrenaline hpop at the same time. they suggested those injectors as i was going to keep the stock hpop but after i bought all those parts along with the hydra and tunes..... if figured i already spent this much whats another $600 for a good pump. my truck is an e99 f350 quad cab drw 6 speed manual. i am the 2nd owner but also only use it to tow a 34' fifthwheel toyhauler. the 1st owner towed a fifthwheel camper from day one. that's all he used the truck for then sold it when his health started to fail. i bought it with 81k miles on it and today just turned 135k miles.

so i know a couple guys with the s366/.91 ex on automatics and they love them. on the manual it's not quite enough imo. when i say that i mean it doesn't make boost low enough in the rpm range for myself. my stock e99 turbo with dp tunes made 1 psi at 1200 rpm on data logs. the sxe s366 doesn't make 1 psi until 1550 rpm, also on data logs though ae.

based on what i have new been told by a few with manuals, the s364.5/.91 comes in between 200 to 250 rpm sooner. i have been considering the change and sent an email to kc to see if they offer a dual bb version of the sxe s364.5 that would bolt up in place of the s366 current.

what i can tell you is from towing 7 hr drives to oklahoma sand dunes as well as across Wyoming to upper idaho to st a dunes. i cross two passes in wyoming and both between 9k ' to 8500 feet in elevation. most of the drive across wyoming is 6k ' in elevation. on a 95* ambient day, i never see over 1200* egt's with an 11k lb 34' fifthwheel toyhauler loaded behind me. just hits a brick wall at 1200* even at 35 psi boost.

i really miss the bottom end i lost with the turbo. it reacts diff on an auto for some reason but not sure why. once i hit 1700 to 1750 rpm this sxe s366/.91 ex is extremely responsive. when i say responsive i mean it boosts in right now!

i am running php tunes and jelibuilt tunes. i tried 1023 tunes but dusty's tow tune just blew smoke and spiked egts. php tunes def produce more power then jelibuilts. jelibuilts has a better idle but he only gives 30 days on revisions and can take 2 weeks to get one revision back so keep that in mind.

with the jelibuilt tunes i rarely see over 28 psi but i do get prob 1 to 2 mpg better fuel. with the php tunes, if i have the cruise set at 75 on the interstate and hit the base of a hill..... i cannot turn the cruise off fast enough to keep it from leaping over 35 psi boost ( gauge boost). fords lead foot accel cruise setting hit 40 psi on the gauge once but now i know to shut the cruise off before certain hills. it's crazy too cause it will be flat landing at 10 psi and just light and spike 35 psi right now! i have a slight rough idle issue at operating temps only. this really only is felt but not heard (interesting part) when i hop on an exit and come to a stop. this funny idle changes with the tunes so i do believe it to be tune related. brian at jelibuilt said he could adjust inj pulse for it but wanted another $50 for the revision even though it was part of the original tune issue. i didn't pay it and lived with it. my oil temp hangs roughly 25 to 35* over coolant temp on a hot day loaded at 75 mph. fuel psi at 35 psi boost is rock solid at 58 psi on a single stock pump. original pump btw.

i switched to amsoil extreme duty 15/40 fully synth oil. this stopped prob 50% of that issue. not surprising as these engines heavily rely on oil quality. it was amazing how well every thing responds to that oil. not cheap but the only oil i have used for a couple years now. before that it only received motocraft by the 1st owner as well as myself. i got a stack of receipts with the truck, oil changes, warranty claims down to wiper blade replacements.

sorry for the long winded post but hope this helps answer the question for a rv towing application.

Last edited:

dsrace

Reaction score
the reason i don't want it going over 35 psi is because i do not have head studs and valve springs. i have been told 40 psi would be fine under 2500 rpm ( 3.73 gears) at 75 mph but i don't need 40 psi and don't want to install head studs.

dsrace

Reaction score
the one buddy of mine has the 364.5/74 with .91 exh on his 2001 7.3. 200/80 injectors pulling an 8k lb toyhauler up a 4% grade. here is a link to a cell video he took. you can roughly see how responsive that combo is. a duall bb turbo would be even more responsive.

https://youtu.be/r_6V4NGfi98

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Thank you. Great info there. I have a 364.5 with 180/80’s and I like it tell I start to gain elevation. Kinda laggy up high buiuuut it could be tuning related as well. My php tow tunes seem to hold a gear to long and lugs to much. A sooner shift would make a huge difference

dsrace

Reaction score
could be the tune. i have only ever owned 1 auto for towing. didn't like it so i sold it and went back to a manual. the sxe 366 isn't laggy up top, in fact it shines above 2k rpm and i mean instant turbo response. it's the 1800 rpm range and lower it can be a bit laggy which is why i have considered the 364.5. i do not know if the 180/80's have anything to do with that either and i would doubt it. the loaded climbs to have a great effect on the engines. my biggest struggle up the mountain side is coolant temps. i have an aftermarket gauge to keep an eye on those but i have seen 130* coolant towing the fifthwheel up a 7* and 5* grade. usually towards the top and not for very long, once i hit the down hill side it cools rapidly.

Latest posts

Members online