Wastegating an OBS

JD3020

Reaction score
Mods in sig, and i think it goes without saying that my boost/backpressure are out of hand.

So anybody have some ideas on how to add a gate to the stock manifolds, up-pipes, or turbo? I know i've seen pics of one set-up on here before, but i've been trying to dig back and find em with no luck.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Once upon a time, ATS had a waste gated turbine housing. A member on the "other" site had one but wasn't raving about it.

JD3020

Reaction score
Lord knows how much time i spent trying to find that thread. LOL

Anymore info on the ATS housing? I do remember an old post involving Charles over there, where guys were talking about modding a 38r turbine housing and putting a gate on it, although i'm not sure if it ever happened.

JD3020

Reaction score
Yikes, i can see why they weren't too popular. LOL

I've got a couple turbo's laying around, guess i'll pull one apart and take a look at the turbine housing/collector and see what i can come up with. Sorta thinking about something like this, although the housing is divided so i'd have to look into it a good bit.

Photo0006.jpg

Reaction score
I had one of the ATS Wastegated .84 OBS housings a few years back when I first got the 96. I really didn't know what I was doing. I bought a used turbo with it on there. It did seem to spool faster but I had high egt's. Turned out I had high EGT's with a stock housing too. By that time I had traded it off. The alligator picture is not the actual ATS housing. The ATS gate operates more like an engine exhaust valve with the diaphagm attached directly rather than the usual pot/ linkage/ lever set up. It sits tangetal to the exhaust snail it sticks out the same direction the T-4 flange does if that makes sense. I would never buy one at the original price. To much of a big chunk of a T-4 kit. I always wondered if my poor experience was due to the two possible tubine diameters, did i have the small exhaust wheel with the big housing? Not A/R the diameter of the largest part of the turbine. This I didn't know about then so never checked. I ended up trading the ATS housing to Darthstroker over on TDS or maybe PSN. He ran it on a D66, kinda lost track of him.

JD3020

Reaction score
Thats exactly what i'm wanting to do! Although depending on where i put it, i may have to put a 90* on it to get the gate away from the cowl.

Latest posts

Members online