7.3 help needed

ftech79

Reaction score
I have an e99 with late 99 turbo and spyder. I bought the pickup 1 year ago and since I've had it here is what seems to be a misfire and blue haze coming from the exhaust only when cold, and I noticed something I want to say is a slight miss in park at idle but goes away when in gear and no smoke when warm seems to have plenty of power not towing. but recently I towed my buddies 16ft enclosed (first time I've towed a trailer with my pickup) with aprox 2000lbs of stuff in it and I noticed that it took a while to reach 75 mph and to me I feel that it struggled going up and incline I say this because I 5-10 mph depending on the incline and I think that a diesel engine should be able to pull that with no problem. my egt's ran around 1000 degrees hitting 1150 on inclines and boost would run about 5-7 and 20 max. It doesn't have any codes. Anything I have to worry about?

rustbucket

Reaction score
How many miles are on it, does the miss go away as it warms up. And stock 7.3s are pretty gutless and slow. If you have a lift and tires i would be suprised you could pull a trailer to 75mph hahaha.

ftech79

Reaction score
Yeah total stock pickup other than turbo and exhaust bit the turbo is oem on later 7.3's. Had a guy suggest my hpop is weak. I watched my icp this morning on my way to work and at operating temp at idle was 470-500 psi I didn't get a chance to see at wot will do that tonight. And I don't think it's a boost problem. I don't hear a hissing and no soot present.

mandkole

Reaction score
Since you've done little to no troubleshooting on how it runs, it could be a handful of possibles. How many miles? 470-500 ICP psi at idle is low. Tired injectors, bad orings (injs and IPR), check injector harnesses, are a good place to start, but some time on a scanner doing some basic testing/monitoring would be good.

Its an old truck, need to work on it a little and it will come around.

ftech79

Reaction score
Pickup has 180,000 miles. New injector o rings at 169,000. new ipr at 176,000. Stock AB injectors. What should my hpop pressure at idle be? I heard a t500 pump will make a world after difference even with stock injectors

TyCorr

Reaction score
180k...lol. ..it should have lots more good use to it.

I would remove the turbo piping and inspect the silicon boots. While that stuff is off remove valve covers and check harnesses, glow plugs, and maybe run the truck before you put it all back together to see if an injector is acting out of the ordinary and puking hpo.

If you can't figure it out might as well get another set of eyes on it. I suspect that 15° pump might be a little weak at that mileage with only stock programming.

ftech79

Reaction score
Talked to the guys at swamps and they said 450-500 icp at idle is fine. I have a hard time believing it's injectors because it doesn't start hard, no smoke even at wot.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
190,000 miles on stock injectors is a lot. The miss is probably an injector not working as it should.

TyCorr

Reaction score
190,000 miles on stock injectors is a lot. The miss is probably an injector not working as it should.

**** 250k+ here. They work perfectly. No issues. They miiiiight use a bit more hpo than new but nothing bad.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah total stock pickup other than turbo and exhaust bit the turbo is oem on later 7.3's. Had a guy suggest my hpop is weak. I watched my icp this morning on my way to work and at operating temp at idle was 470-500 psi I didn't get a chance to see at wot will do that tonight. And I don't think it's a boost problem. I don't hear a hissing and no soot present.

Boost has no soot, it is clean, filtered, compressed air.
You also need to run a buzz test, and a cylinder contribution test.
Google boost leak detector, build one for a few bucks and check for boost leaks.

boggerr

Reaction score
It can be a number of things but do what Arisley said, scan it.
Also take a few minutes to tighten all your CAC tube clamps and clamps on your spyder to plenums. I usually go over them every oil change.

Jomax

Reaction score
**** 250k+ here. They work perfectly. No issues. They miiiiight use a bit more hpo than new but nothing bad.

Maintenance is key though.. my uncles 7.3 had three iniectors go at 200k (they were bad before than). When I opened the VCs there was some sludge in the crevices. Previous owner wasnt keeping up on oil changes.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Maintenance is key though.. my uncles 7.3 had three iniectors go at 200k (they were bad before than). When I opened the VCs there was some sludge in the crevices. Previous owner wasnt keeping up on oil changes.

Well, yea! It's not what you use its how you use it. My truck lived on pennzoil 15-40 for 225k miles. I think I was the only guy still buying it, lol, because I've not seen it since I stopped buying it. Ford filter and pennzoil. Then I switched to motorcraft for one change and then I ran mobil1 syn turbo diesel. Pulled the motor to fix the oil leaks and ran delo 15-40 as I don't see any reason for synthetic that gets drained every 3k.

taterthedog

Reaction score
How much boost is it making? Ford used to tell us, if it could make 17psi of boost there was no lack of power. Stock of course.

Edit. Just reread the first post where it said 20.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Well, yea! It's not what you use its how you use it. My truck lived on pennzoil 15-40 for 225k miles. I think I was the only guy still buying it, lol, because I've not seen it since I stopped buying it. Ford filter and pennzoil. Then I switched to motorcraft for one change and then I ran mobil1 syn turbo diesel. Pulled the motor to fix the oil leaks and ran delo 15-40 as I don't see any reason for synthetic that gets drained every 3k.

pennzoil made 15 40?!? Never saw or heard of it in my life!