Blown turbo/Upgrade?

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Got a buddy 6.0 that is leaking oil out the exhaust/white smoking which smells like oil etc

Blown turbo? truck is a 05 with 19,500 miles.

Not burning coolant no puking/ EOT/ECT/ICP/IPRDC/FICM voltage is normal.

Oil is normal and no oil in coolant or coolant in oil /no codes.

Told him to order a KC or Barder stage 2 64 and that's the route he most likely will take.

Truck has TSD SPD banks IC/pipes AFe CAI and 5 inch exhaust he will most likely stay will stock injectors , he only drove the truck 68 miles since he purchased the tuner etc LOL.

any recommendations/opinions?

Thanks in advance.

sootie

Reaction score
go with barder for sure. any shaft play on the turbo?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Only 20,000 miles since 2005? Wow.

I would double check to make sure he did not delete his CCV and add some sort of filter at the end. I have seen that cause the same symptoms as a blown turbo. I have also seen pinched hoses and clogged ccv's cause the same issue. A quick check is to pull the oil fill cap and drive around and see if that makes the smoke issue go away.

Let me know if you have any questions about the KC Turbo line up. I always try to give forum members a good deal so send me an email if you need a price quote on anything.

[email protected]

powerlifter405

Reaction score
Some in the IC is normal but any excessive amount could be seals. At 290K on the original factory turbo, I had oil seeping between the dp and the exhaust housing onto the motor and also at the dp to cat-converter ball/socket joint. When I pulled the factory turbo the exhaust side was wet w/ oil.

A new KC 63.5mm took care of that. Charlie has great customer service no doubt :thumbsup:

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Some in the IC is normal but any excessive amount could be seals. At 290K on the original factory turbo, I had oil seeping between the dp and the exhaust housing onto the motor and also at the dp to cat-converter ball/socket joint. When I pulled the factory turbo the exhaust side was wet w/ oil.

A new KC 63.5mm took care of that. Charlie has great customer service no doubt :thumbsup:

oil is "dripping" out of the tip and the whole exhaust is covered in a thick layer of oil. IC tune are "soaked" also.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
You can pull the CCv and let it vent to atmosphere then pull the hot side pipe and see how much oil is coming from the compressor side right off the turbo. Let it idle in the driveway for a bit & maybe high idle or rev it up a few times but watch to see if and/or how much oil is present.

Pulling the turbo is pretty easy. Pull it and see if you have oil in the exhaust housing.

If your not having a blow by/ring issues I'd venture its your seals. Call Charlie, he won't sell you anything you don't need. After several conversations it was decided the basic 63.5 was best for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.