08 mirrors on 01 electronics

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Do you have OEM 08 mirrors? I assume you just have the 3 pins feeding the original mirror for the directional motors?

If you're asking for help I'd be glad to assist, but I'll need more info.

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Its aftermarket 08 mirrors but my wiring harness for the doors was from the 05 doors blended into the rest of the 2000 harness.

Txpsd

Reaction score
I have full power telescope/fold mirrors on my 2002. I just converted my truck to the factory 08+ OEM plug because I didn't want to cut up the factory mirrors I paid so much for. They work with all factory switches and just like they would in a new truck.

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey571-2-1419158-8

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=0virtualkey0virtualkey571-2-1419158-5

I haven't done it yet but I could draw up the wiring diagrams I used to do the conversion. I only had 3 wires to my factor mirrors (up/down, left/right, common ground). It takes 11 wires to drive the power fold/telescope mirrors. I got interesting pulling the 8 extra wires to each mirror to make them fully functional with the factory switches.

Sorry the pics came out so small. The 3 buttons are factory power telescope on the left, switched mirror defrost in the middle, and the sub remote wire on the right. I turn the sub off when my kid is riding in the back seat.

15%2B-%2B3.png

15%2B-%2B2.png

15%2B-%2B1.png

If you could draw up diagrams, that would be awesome! I am wanting to do this in my 2000 F250. Just curious, what gauge wires did you use?

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Anything going into the plug can't be any bigger than 20ga or it won't fit, so I used mostly that. The factory harness on the mirror is either a thin sheath 20ga or a 22ga wire. For power going to relays and switches I used 18ga (and would have used 18ga everywhere had it fit into the plug).

I'll get crackin on those diagrams, it seems they would be really valuable to people to not have to piece all of the wiring together from so many sources.

I buy all of my wire here: http://www.wirebarn.com/

mikes02ls1

Reaction score
Don't know if I mentioned when the mirrors are plugged in the driver side turn signal light stays on, and the mirror only moves up... I know it has to be ghetto wiring.

bluedge8

Reaction score
sub'd, I have a 2015 ford transit 250 that I am switching mirrors on, and have been meaning to search for this exact type of thread.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Nope but I can scan in my hand written notes for now. Currently on power tour but I'll work on it once I get home on Saturday.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Anything going into the plug can't be any bigger than 20ga or it won't fit, so I used mostly that. The factory harness on the mirror is either a thin sheath 20ga or a 22ga wire. For power going to relays and switches I used 18ga (and would have used 18ga everywhere had it fit into the plug).

I'll get crackin on those diagrams, it seems they would be really valuable to people to not have to piece all of the wiring together from so many sources.

I buy all of my wire here: http://www.wirebarn.com/

I like your idea. Its nice. I tried to go that route and even went to the ford parts guy and told him what I needed. He couldnt grasp it so I just walked away only to receive a phone call that my parts were in. I reluctantly showed up. He had a wiring harness from something but the wires werent right, nor was the harness.

I wound up using scotchlocks into the new mirrors harness side and ran a wire into the headlight switch for the cl lights etc. Had I been thinkingn id have got an afternarket connector kit and just made new connections. It doesnt have to be factory as long as its plug n play. Honestly work vs reward i should have just got some with power glass and an adapter to plug into my 00 oem harness and called it good.

rosspulliam

Reaction score
I've been saying I was going to do this for 3 years now and haven't so, while I continue to be a lazy ass on my write up, I scanned in all of my notes that I used and took for this project and will share them here.

Everything I needed to figure this out is in the PDF attachment. My notes should be pretty helpful as I took careful notes of what each pin does and what wire I connected to what.

I'm assuming you are going to use all factory switches (the power fold/adjuster and power telescope switches). You can mount them how you want (and extend wires as needed). The telescope mounting bracket is a rear mounting bracket so I had to cut it up and glue it to the back of my dash after careful sanding and lots of test fitting so the switch sat the way I wanted it to in the hole I cut in the dash (with paper template). It was tedious. The factory adjuster/fold switch I mounted in the original 2002 spot, just used a carbide burr to hog out the hole enough to fit after making a paper template. It was a little bit loose but a couple strategically placed dabs of 3m Weatherstrip Adhesive solved that problem. For power fold you MUST use the Ford power fold relay for the switch to work right (p/n 8C3Z-14N089-A).

That's what I can think of right off the top of my head. Since I finally dug out my notes I'll see about that write up that has been 3+ years in the making!

Find the PDF attachment of all of my notes by clicking this link!

rosspulliam

Reaction score
Oh, and if any part of my notes aren't clear to everyone else, feel free to hit me up and I"ll clarify whatever it is that doesn't make sense.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.