08 6.4 oil capacity and abnormal occurance-HELP

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So after all is said and done, it look liked my problem was an extended oil change that needed to be serviced (knock on wood, I hope!). The level of the oil has not risen from the initial 3/4 mark on the dipstick and the coolant level has stayed the same. I've also ran two tanks of diesel with dye in it and have not seen anything with the black light on the dip stick. So far I have driven about 700 miles since the oil change and no rise in oil... Very confusing as to why I had so much oil in the case in the first place (possibly from the previous owner, I bought the truck a couple months ago).

I thought I would give you guys an update on my situation and I will report back with anything else that hopefully WONT come up... Thanks you for all your help and support!

:joy:

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So I just got my oil test back from Blackstone labs with only 2100 miles on the oil. I'm showing 9% fuel dilution and I'm definitely thinking that something is leaking under the valve covers. I had a diesel shop quote me $400 to remove both valve covers plus whatever parts leaking that needed to be replaced ($400+part that's leaking). Do you think this is reasonable asking price for my situation? He also said the book said its like a 5hr job.

Thanks,

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Just wanted to give everyone a update on the issue I was getting with rising oil levels in my 6.4. I went ahead and had the diesel shop my trucks at take off the valves to locate the leak with dye. He came back and stated several fuel lines were leaking along with the passenger side fuel pressure sensor. While he was in there he suggested that I change out the glow plugs as the wires looked “brittle” and lastly to put a fresh set up valve cover gaskets on her before sewing her back up.

All said and done I’m pretty happy with what the shop had to offer, do you think his advice on the plugs were a good idea to change out? The truck did have a new short block/head machined installed 15k miles ago along with oem injectors so whoever installed them obviously did a **** job for all the leaky fuel lines! I’m also kind of pissed that the glow plugs are original and not new, you would think with all the new parts and re-conditioning that they would’ve put NEW glow plugs on and not the originals…

Hopefully this thread can help some else out down the road. I’m picking up the truck Saturday so I’ll have to monitor the oil level to see if it’s actually corrected.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
A fresh set of glow plugs wont hurt, kind of hard to tell if theyve been changed or not from a visual check, but fairly cheap to make sure they are new.

Glad you got it figured out and it was a stupid/easy fix, and didnt have to come completely back apart!

Latest posts

Members online