Lots of Smoke after S364.5SXE Install

Justinlw

Reaction score
I'm either over fueling or the turbo isn't keeping up. I get low rpm light throttle haze constantly, haze at maintained freeway speed, black out an intersection leaving hard or accelerating to pass. Also get a slow surge climbing hills holding between 10-15psi boost. All info I'm giving is an empty truck. I'm lost as far as where to go next. About to lose it honestly.

I'm open to any suggestions, and thanks for any help offered.

A little background:

H&S Divided Pedestal and S300 kit
S364.5SXE Turbo w/.91ar divided housing
Completely stock fuel system/injectors
New Filters
New MAP
New MAF
Good Compression and Contribution (ids)
CAC system tested to 25psi Air Pressure, found small boot leak and fixed
Drive Pressure Side tested to 25psi air pressure, no leaks
FRP is steady, 6.5ksi Idle, 25ksi under load
H&S XRT Pro with HSM Non-VGT Tunes
Also tested ********'s, and Cale's Non-VGT on SCT 3015R
Recent oil analysis showed low metals, no fuel or coolant in oil at all
EGR and *** completely missing

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

michaelite

Reaction score
I also get a consistent black haze on acceleration. I'm using GH Street right now but I'm going to try the Performance and see how it is. I believe its the tune. I haven't had any of the other issues you are either though.

I try and stay as close to stock as possible on the tune as I am under the impression it is better reliability.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I also get a consistent black haze on acceleration. I'm using GH Street right now but I'm going to try the Performance and see how it is. I believe its the tune. I haven't had any of the other issues you are either though.

I try and stay as close to stock as possible on the tune as I am under the impression it is better reliability.

I've talked with Dallas, and a few others running this turbo, the don't see smoke unless they're hard on the throttle and it cleans up once the boost builds.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I haven't cried since my dog died three years ago. This truck has me real close.

Justinlw

Reaction score
Went OCD with IDS last night and checked all sensor values. Everything is in spec within a decimal aside from APP1. There's almost a 20% difference from APP1 to APP2. I'm hoping replacing the pedal assembly will at the least fix part throttle sensitivity.

Also bubble tested the Intake side again up to 55psi after installing a new cold side pipe. No leaks at all.

I'll post an update after I get the accelerator pedal assembly in.

Justinlw

Reaction score
New Accelerator Pedal is in. Old one was not only out of spec, but APP1 voltage was fluctuating at idle.

New sensor is dead on factory pid numbers, and no more fluctuation. Idle is smoother, and shifts/downshifts seem more properly timed. I guess that's progress.

Justinlw

Reaction score
I feel pretty stupid admitting what I found that has pretty much eliminated the smoke issue. Talked to PSE about the truck, Dorian recommended a different Intake and filter because he suspected the S&B kit was the restriction. The new kit has a 4" pipe and elbow to match the S300, compared to the other that tapered to the oem turbo inlet.

When I removed the Intake yesterday the filter element was stained blue. Turns out my windshield washer hose on the passenger side had a leak and was spraying washer fluid on the filter housing. The filter was getting soaked, as S&B's box isn't very well sealed.

Live and learn I guess, I never checked the filter because it was brand new.

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got an answer. I actually run the 366sxe and also have a more basic intake. Definitely need to upgrade after reading this.

6.4powerstroke!

Reaction score
Glad to hear you got an answer. I actually run the 366sxe and also have a more basic intake. Definitely need to upgrade after reading this.

08Monster

Reaction score
I feel pretty stupid admitting what I found that has pretty much eliminated the smoke issue. Talked to PSE about the truck, Dorian recommended a different Intake and filter because he suspected the S&B kit was the restriction. The new kit has a 4" pipe and elbow to match the S300, compared to the other that tapered to the oem turbo inlet.

When I removed the Intake yesterday the filter element was stained blue. Turns out my windshield washer hose on the passenger side had a leak and was spraying washer fluid on the filter housing. The filter was getting soaked, as S&B's box isn't very well sealed.

Live and learn I guess, I never checked the filter because it was brand new.
I call that poor man's water/meth injection

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online