Garrett 38r vs Diesel site Ball bearing turbo

The Brad

Reaction score
Yeah, but I've also read posts saying that hybrids do better due to less oil having to flow across the restrictive poppet. I guess over 200cc is the tipping point range where hybrids start to out perform A codes!? So which is it, Tastes great or less filling?

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
My stock pump with stock sticks could maintained 2800 psi on a PHP 140 tune, it could not maintain over 2200 psi with my 175/80's, PHP tuning, 2.7 ms PW.

Put a new pump in, MB stage 1. same issue but was maintaining about 2500 psi. still 2.7 ms.

Put a MB stage 2 in, maintains 3200 psi all day now.

Im not the only person that has had issues holding PSI with the 175/80's.

I may have some other issue going on that I could not track down that was causing my low PSI? But in my experience a stock HPOP will not support 175/80's.

In the end, my truck runs real strong. Very efficient, not much smoke unless i really lug it, lights the turbo at about 1200 rpm and it tows very well, better than my fathers tuned and ******d 6.7, this may be due to the auto though.

I dont have experience with other injectors other than stock. I would really like to try some hybrids and see how they perform.

The Brad

Reaction score
My stock pump with stock sticks could maintained 2800 psi on a PHP 140 tune, it could not maintain over 2200 psi with my 175/80's, PHP tuning, 2.7 ms PW.

Put a new pump in, MB stage 1. same issue but was maintaining about 2500 psi. still 2.7 ms.

Put a MB stage 2 in, maintains 3200 psi all day now.

Im not the only person that has had issues holding PSI with the 175/80's.

I may have some other issue going on that I could not track down that was causing my low PSI? But in my experience a stock HPOP will not support 175/80's.

In the end, my truck runs real strong. Very efficient, not much smoke unless i really lug it, lights the turbo at about 1200 rpm and it tows very well, better than my fathers tuned and ******d 6.7, this may be due to the auto though.

I dont have experience with other injectors other than stock. I would really like to try some hybrids and see how they perform.

Send me your 175s and I'll send you my 200s. :toast:

JO9816

Reaction score
Regardless of what injectors I go with, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna need a new hpop. I can only hit 2300 icp at WOT on my extreme tune on the Php hydra. I think I'd be satisfied enough with 160/30, but for only $200 more, the 175/80 are very tempting.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
175/80's are a nice match for the 38r sized turbos. I ran them with my 38r. My goal was a smooth running tow pig that was fun on the street yet reliable. Plus I didn't want extensive fuel system mods right away. Met all my criteria. And I love them even more with my T4 BASB.

Nvhayfarmer

Reaction score
Well I should get my Diesel Site Early 1999 wicked ball bearing turbo 66mm/94mm installed this weekend.
566b93fd279d49fb6c9e69b7f4b28e39.jpg
399c1f2d2f2b8a2e00d10f95c21c59a8.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Nvhayfarmer

Reaction score
Shiny... you're on the hook for a report now!
Should have a report by end of weekend, I've got the turbo, 175/80% injectors, bellowed up pipes, riff raff fuel crossover return, and gauges to get installed at same time. According to Diesel Site, these turbos are capable of handling 40 psi issue free. My plan is to test and adjust waste gate actuator to dial in 32-34 psi max.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Should have a report by end of weekend, I've got the turbo, 175/80% injectors, bellowed up pipes, riff raff fuel crossover return, and gauges to get installed at same time. According to Diesel Site, these turbos are capable of handling 40 psi issue free. My plan is to test and adjust waste gate actuator to dial in 32-34 psi max.

On those injectors, you can close the WG on down. You won't see more than about 35-38 psi with it completely closed.

Turbosuzuki

Reaction score
Nice looking piece, I have ordered a couple things from diesel site with quick shipping and every time I called someone picked up and answered my questions great to deal with. Keep us posted on the install

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
and every time I called someone picked up and answered

If a phone call rings through without someone answering it, I lose my absolutely mind here at the office... so we've gotten really good at it. ;)

It's ironic because we're having this internet outage for the past 3 weeks that keeps making our connection drop in and out and our phone lines are attached to it. We haven't been able to receive like 90% of the calls that try to come in during the day and can't making nearly any outgoing calls.

I have NO hair left.

2oBmP5E.gif

Arisley

Reaction score
And that is the reason that at all of our stores, we do not nave IP phones, just POTS (plain old telephone service).

It does run through a phone system, but we don't want to be without internet and phones at the same time. We also have at least one old school phone that has a cord and plugs into a wall phone outlet. It works even if power is out.

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
And that is the reason that at all of our stores, we do not nave IP phones, just POTS (plain old telephone service).

It does run through a phone system, but we don't want to be without internet and phones at the same time. We also have at least one old school phone that has a cord and plugs into a wall phone outlet. It works even if power is out.

Aye - we thought the same thing! Converted down to an old school phone in our one main line to at least take messages and.... nothing. No dial tone, no nothing. :( Even the fax isn't working.

And no one gets cell signal in the building without "wifi" so I can't forward the calls to someone cell phone.

It's like a perfect ****storm scenario.

/spam thread

TMCCOY

Reaction score
I see the DS mechanical wastegate controller is threaded down quite far. Is there a recommended amount of exposed thread for the 38R?

Nvhayfarmer

Reaction score
I did get mydiesel site turbo installed last weekend, but been too busy with work to get some videos. Runs great! It is slower to spool with my new 175cc/80 injectors than I anticipated, but I'm sure that has to do with living at 4,500+ ft elevation. As long as I ease into throttle I have basically no smoke. If I jump on throttle it smokes decent until turbo spools. I am still having gauge issues, so until that is fixed, I haven't pushed hard. Ill report back egt numbers and boost numbers as soon as I can. Ill even add a video clip.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I did get mydiesel site turbo installed last weekend, but been too busy with work to get some videos. Runs great! It is slower to spool with my new 175cc/80 injectors than I anticipated, but I'm sure that has to do with living at 4,500+ ft elevation. As long as I ease into throttle I have basically no smoke. If I jump on throttle it smokes decent until turbo spools. I am still having gauge issues, so until that is fixed, I haven't pushed hard. Ill report back egt numbers and boost numbers as soon as I can. Ill even add a video clip.

yeah, you might need sone tune adjustments there!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nvhayfarmer

Reaction score
Any more news on the turbo?
Sorry, I've been swamped with work lately. Truck runs great with turbo! I still had gauge issues, so I just ordered all new ones, so I still do not have boost and egt readings yet.
ab6f73ecdcf1e17b271847676c3d448d.jpg

Latest posts

Members online