To CCV mod or not to CCV mod, that is the question

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Hmm maybe I'll put a bag on mine and see if it does the same thing. Can always just vent it under the truck again and cap off the Venturi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you would have a huge problem if you've been running it and it hasn't been working ie: blowing back, you're fine.

95cobby

Reaction score
i wont respond to a phone call ? i have no messages that have not gotten returned today , or ever. this is obviously my first chance to respond so, i HAVE responded at first notice. that being said, we ALWAYS recommend checking vaccuum at idle BEFORE you weld anything. its a really simple process. that being said call, and if i'm not available , leave a message and it will be returned same day, let alone message me here before putting me on blast for something i have no knowledge about.

In all fairness check your PMs.. there are 2 from last week I didn't get a response to regarding this. Plus when I called to order the Carli kit I asked to speak with you. Believe it was Jeff or Jake... they took name and what it was regarding. Called again today because Jeff won't call me back regarding the Carli kit and I asked to speak with you again.. Luke said yea you bet and ask for name and what it was regarding.. came back to the phone and said you were "gone". I told him I would just wait for response on the PM. I've been plenty patient but Jeff's inability to return a call pushed me to this.

And lol checking vacuum before welding

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
In all fairness check your PMs.. there are 2 from last week I didn't get a response to regarding this. Plus when I called to order the Carli kit I asked to speak with you. Believe it was Jeff or Jake... they took name and what it was regarding. Called again today because Jeff won't call me back regarding the Carli kit and I asked to speak with you again.. Luke said yea you bet and ask for name and what it was regarding.. came back to the phone and said you were "gone". I've been plenty patient but Jeff's inability to return a call pushed me to this.

And lol checking vacuum before welding

like i said, i have no message from you. if i'm not available leave one and it will be called back same day within reason. sorry for your troubles we try our best but we aren't perfect.

95cobby

Reaction score
like i said, i have no message from you. if i'm not available leave one and it will be called back same day within reason. sorry for your troubles we try our best but we aren't perfect.

You have at least have 2 messages in your inbox regarding this. Not impressed with Jeff's work so I'm not surprised but I did tell Luke I'll wait on PM.. I edited last post. Luke is great by the way.

But really that's it!? No help in resolving the issue here? Look at the pictures.. one guy said his was cut on both the larger and smaller diameter tubes. A quick google search and I saw more race applicable valves are cut at 45' and have an additional notch.

Last edited:

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
the small tube is not cut on a 45 because the outer section is, which in turn, when installed at the correct angle, forces it on to a 45, so it doesn't have to be angle cut. as long as the 45* cut and top stem is aimed forward and parallel to the exhaust, it will draw. 5" will draw less at idle , but either size exhaust will flow more than enough over the fitting to draw. the ones you are seeing most likely don't have the weldable edge cut at a 45* .

95cobby

Reaction score
the small tube is not cut on a 45 because the outer section is, which in turn, when installed at the correct angle, forces it on to a 45, so it doesn't have to be angle cut. as long as the 45* cut and top stem is aimed forward and parallel to the exhaust, it will draw. 5" will draw less at idle , but either size exhaust will flow more than enough over the fitting to draw. the ones you are seeing most likely don't have the weldable edge cut at a 45* .

45* inside the pipe yea but now that I think about it.. that's what's prolly causing the circulation of air because it's hitting the tip of the extruded smaller tube and rolling over and causing the absence of vacuum at idle. The prototype and other people's "Venturi valves" are cut at a 45* which would put it parallel with the exhaust pipe.. here's a picture.. although not drawn to scale, the angles are correct. To clarify.. the picture is of mine now.

7a769478220c9228f4934fcdba0af86c.jpg

Last edited:

sootie

Reaction score
maybe i'm retarded but that video you posted validates the whole purpose of a "venturi". At idle there is enough pressure to push the ccv into the exhaust stream, hence the bag filling up like a balloon. At 3k when there is a vacuum in the crankcase, the larger amount of exhaust flow rushing past the tube poking into the exhaust creates a suction and pulls the vapors out of the crankcase. Am i missing something?

kcpanages

Reaction score
Well, I have Venturi, installed...... no, mine isn't installed right before the jump going over the axle..... I have mine installed about a foot behind the coupling where the exhaust bolts up to the down pipe.... also it's installed on the side of the pipe..... haven't had an issue at all

95cobby

Reaction score
maybe i'm retarded but that video you posted validates the whole purpose of a "venturi". At idle there is enough pressure to push the ccv into the exhaust stream, hence the bag filling up like a balloon. At 3k when there is a vacuum in the crankcase, the larger amount of exhaust flow rushing past the tube poking into the exhaust creates a suction and pulls the vapors out of the crankcase. Am i missing something?

That video is of the Venturi on the exhaust only. Not hooked up to crankcase or anything. There is no vacuum at idle with just the Venturi in the exhaust, again not hooked up to anything else. It's blowing exhaust out the Venturi hard, I'm surprised that bag didn't pop actually.

When it's all hooked up.. CCV de-reet -> catchcan -> Venturi -> exhaust.. I'm not sure if the crankcase pressure is enough to overcome the positive pressure being shown at idle while disconnected. I have not been able to perform that test nor have the tools to do so. What I can say is that while it was hooked up for the short period of time, boost pressure was down from what I would normally see while cruising or accelerating.

95cobby

Reaction score
Sootie is on point. Might not be what the OP wanted to see visually but should be doing the job as intended.

I disagree. That video is of the Venturi welded to the exhaust only. The bag is zip tied to the in port of the Venturi. It's not hooked up to crankcase or anything else. See my post above.

sootie

Reaction score
That video is of the Venturi on the exhaust only. Not hooked up to crankcase or anything. There is no vacuum at idle with just the Venturi in the exhaust, again not hooked up to anything else. It's blowing exhaust out the Venturi hard, I'm surprised that bag didn't pop actually.

When it's all hooked up.. CCV de-reet -> catchcan -> Venturi -> exhaust.. I'm not sure if the crankcase pressure is enough to overcome the positive pressure being shown at idle while disconnected. I have not been able to perform that test nor have the tools to do so. What I can say is that while it was hooked up for the short period of time, boost pressure was down from what I would normally see while cruising or accelerating.

i get it. Regardless, there should be enough crankcase pressure at idle to overcome that. I can pop a plastic bag just by blowing in it so what your vid shows isnt an immense amount of pressure.
Also not sure how boost pressure could be affected by crank case vent. Sounds like a lot of overthinking going on.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
There is hardly any pressure in the crankcase...let alone enough to overcome that! At idle or any speed.. If you have enough crankcase pressure to overcome that, you've got some serious blow-by and need new rings.

sootie

Reaction score
There is hardly any pressure in the crankcase...let alone enough to overcome that! At idle or any speed.. If you have enough crankcase pressure to overcome that, you've got some serious blow-by and need new rings.

That used to be the case on six fours, i assume you have experience with blow by on six sevens?

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
My vent is open to atmosphere right at the front driver's side wheel. I get smoke and very minute flow if that's what you're asking. If i were to tie a bag to it, it certainly wouldn't look like that

Like he said, not very scientific. but if you wanted to get scientific, you could measure flow from the CCV vs. flow from the venturi he has welded in and see which is greater.

kcpanages

Reaction score
Wow....... I use to work offshore doing cargo transfers...... every bend, enlargement, or decrease in the pipes diameter causes restrictions..... wth that said, welding the Venturi At that bend is a bad spot.... weld it where the down pipe connects to the exhaust pipe..... I run the 3.5"/4" , what ever size you wanna call it.... so I'm catching a higher pressure versus more volume at that spot..... we used a cigarette lighter to check suction.... no issues here

andrewtac

Reaction score
I had something similar on a streetcar, got chocolate milk in the top end of my car. It had exhaust. Everyone said it wouldn't work unless it was in the header and no mufflers. That being said on my truck it goes to the atmosphere and would rather it be in the exhaust. After water in my oil on my car I am scared to try it.

95cobby

Reaction score
My vent is open to atmosphere right at the front driver's side wheel. I get smoke and very minute flow if that's what you're asking. If i were to tie a bag to it, it certainly wouldn't look like that

Like he said, not very scientific. but if you wanted to get scientific, you could measure flow from the CCV vs. flow from the venturi he has welded in and see which is greater.

Yea same here, while it's vented to atmo, the pressure is faint and not nearly as strong as the pressure from the valve at idle. Again haven't tested flow but that's my observations.

Wow....... I use to work offshore doing cargo transfers...... every bend, enlargement, or decrease in the pipes diameter causes restrictions..... wth that said, welding the Venturi At that bend is a bad spot.... weld it where the down pipe connects to the exhaust pipe..... I run the 3.5"/4" , what ever size you wanna call it.... so I'm catching a higher pressure versus more volume at that spot..... we used a cigarette lighter to check suction.... no issues here

Yea makes sense. I asked No Limit about placement and was told this was the best spot. Basically that eliminates any arguments regarding putting it in the wrong spot etc.

kcpanages

Reaction score
Yea same here, while it's vented to atmo, the pressure is faint and not nearly as strong as the pressure from the valve at idle. Again haven't tested flow but that's my observations.

Yea makes sense. I asked No Limit about placement and was told this was the best spot. Basically that eliminates any arguments regarding putting it in the wrong spot etc.

Not to be rude, or come off the wrong way..... but when modding these trucks..... some times you have to think outside the box.......

Sorry your having an issue.... wish you weren't, and as far as No Limit Fab and their custom parts and customer support..... you won't find any better guys!

All I do is call and ask for Luke or Jeff, tell them is **** from Louisiana.... and bam! They know the truck, know what I'm wanting to do, heck..... they have got Mr. Mike involved a time or two..... great guys, great shop

Latest posts

Members online