To CCV mod or not to CCV mod, that is the question

95cobby

Reaction score
Not looking to start any pissing matches but have you guys seen this? I usually watch Bill's videos as they are very informative but this one seems to have caused quite the cluster fock if you read all the comments. Found them pretty entertaining actually. The argument seems to be that the higher rpm is causing excessive pressure on the turbo seals with the CCV mod installed. I have owned several FI sports cars, both blown and turbo including a twin turbo s550.. with all those cars running open system catch cans.. but then again none of those cars were making 30-40lbs of boost so I have no idea if what Bill says is correct or true. It makes sense in theory but I have yet to see or hear anyone else stress this concept. Is Ford's AOS really letting that much oil pass through? Has anyone installed a catch can between the intake and the CCV to check?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qu2-Dr3jF8

Attachments

• IMG_0376.jpg
    IMG_0376.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 309

04cr450

Reaction score
Well I won't get into it because I am not educated enough to back this up but: spoke to a ford engineer about this months ago and to do a Ccv ****** on a 6.7 is a bad idea in the long run(I have a Ccv mod kit still on the shelf new collecting dust).
I still scratch my head as to what to do. 6.7's have an excessive amount of blowboy compared to the other model enfines in the ford lineup. Also that Ccv collector/dog house oem box although looks simple is not and was spent countless hours designing it to attend to the 6.7 blowby. It is their for a reason. I honestly forgot the multiple amount of reasons it was designed like that- I don't listen well when talking to an "engineer"

Wanted to add - had a Ccv ****** on my 6.0 for years- had an engine oil leak even on a new build motor... put the Ccv back in place, leak completely stopped.. true story

Last edited:

95cobby

Reaction score
The Ford CCV is an air oil separator where it allows the gasses to pass through and drops the oil back into the crank case. It's a sealed design unlike the Dodge 6.7 ccv where they replace the filter more often. On ours we are supposed to replace that whole box after 100-125k miles or so. I have no problem with the gasses passing through but I don't want the intake or CAC getting puddles of oil in them.

Although it would be pricey and take a bit of fab work I could prolly get a Radium AOS hooked up in place of the CCV. But it seems pretty promising if Ford's AOS is able to last 100k+ miles before needing to be replaced. Just not sure how much oil is actually getting past it.. guess I could pull my intake tube and look.

dcswetman

Reaction score
Removed mine at around 75k because I had oil getting past the the box. I had oil in my CAC and all. Truck was bellowing white smoke when I'd let out the throttle. Did a No Limit CCV delet e and it solved the problem

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd argue that LONG ago back in the old big block days there wasn't an issue going to atmo. To say things back then had tighter tolerances compared to today might be a stretch as well.

I'd think as long as you can get the pressures close to OEM what's the problem.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Two ways to look at it.

97% of the trucks out there are non-deIeted. And have no idea about the items to do so...

There are zero side affects of leaving it in place. I leave mine in place because I really don't care. Won't keep the truck long enough to worry about it..... even if I did keep the truck forever still not worried about it.

The other option is to remove it to atmosphere and have one more thing to keep up with.... for what? Or put the ventura kit on in line of the exhaust.

Just drive and enjoy!

Kxc

Reaction score
I removed my CCV box at 12k and the turbo piping and CAC had a good amount of oil in it. I think the way to go is Venturi in the exhaust through a catch can. I use a small racor unit. When you get on it and there is any blow by the Venturi should keep the crank case pressure at a reasonable level and keep the oil leaks to a minimum .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jwalk09

Reaction score
Had mine rerouted to the atmosphere for awhile but plugged it back in.

95cobby

Reaction score
Two ways to look at it.

97% of the trucks out there are non-deIeted. And have no idea about the items to do so...

There are zero side affects of leaving it in place. I leave mine in place because I really don't care. Won't keep the truck long enough to worry about it..... even if I did keep the truck forever still not worried about it.

The other option is to remove it to atmosphere and have one more thing to keep up with.... for what? Or put the ventura kit on in line of the exhaust.

Just drive and enjoy!

I'm kind of in that same bucket, don't really care all that much but I don't want oil accumulating and coating all the piping. If I do run an open system I don't want to cause any extra stress on the turbo.. although I guess eventually that would give me an excuse to upgrade. I think the venturi is currently the only way to ensure there is at least some vacuum on the re-route. Just not sure how that pressure compares the ccv being routed to the intake currently.

I removed my CCV box at 12k and the turbo piping and CAC had a good amount of oil in it. I think the way to go is Venturi in the exhaust through a catch can. I use a small racor unit. When you get on it and there is any blow by the Venturi should keep the crank case pressure at a reasonable level and keep the oil leaks to a minimum .

Yea I'm at about 14k now and I'm sure there's some oil in both, just the nature of the beast. The venturi and catch can is prolly as close as you're going to get pressure wise without routing back to intake. How much oil is your catch can collecting?

i would avoid powerstroke help videos...

Lol, I may just do that :thumbup:

Sportchassis06

Reaction score
I'm kind of in that same bucket, don't really care all that much but I don't want oil accumulating and coating all the piping. If I do run an open system I don't want to cause any extra stress on the turbo.. although I guess eventually that would give me an excuse to upgrade. I think the venturi is currently the only way to ensure there is at least some vacuum on the re-route. Just not sure how that pressure compares the ccv being routed to the intake currently.

Yea I'm at about 14k now and I'm sure there's some oil in both, just the nature of the beast. The venturi and catch can is prolly as close as you're going to get pressure wise without routing back to intake. How much oil is your catch can collecting?

Lol, I may just do that :thumbup:
Been running mid sized racor unit,no venturi for over 75,xxx miles.No leaks here.The venturi is over kill....

95cobby

Reaction score

Been running mid sized racor unit,no venturi for over 75,xxx miles.No leaks here.The venturi is over kill....

So you guys using the Racor units.. are you draining the oil back to the oil pan as well as running the outlet side back to intake? Or do you have a canister hooked up to catch the oil and the outlet vented to atmo?

Kxc

Reaction score
My racor is in line to the Venturi. I drain it when I change the oil. I don't drive much so that's every 2000 -3000 miles for me.

Jomax

Reaction score
I chose not to mess with it. I can't stand the smoke of smell.

I'm sure the truck will still make it to 200k.

JetExpress_6.7

Reaction score
Just an opinion here...but leave the factory box on, remove the line from it to the intake, cap the hole in the intake, buy a vinyl 1" hose and slip it on where the hose came off the box and you're done.

Lets the factory box do its separation job, 1" line is plenty big enough to vent pressure, and it all cost you about 8 bucks and 30 mins (if you're working slow...)

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Just an opinion here...but leave the factory box on, remove the line from it to the intake, cap the hole in the intake, buy a vinyl 1" hose and slip it on where the hose came off the box and you're done.

Lets the factory box do its separation job, 1" line is plenty big enough to vent pressure, and it all cost you about 8 bucks and 30 mins (if you're working slow...)

What I'm doing currently, then into exhaust venturi

Latest posts

Members online