My 96 CCSB - Superduty Coil swap and other mods

Addicted4

Reaction score
I'm using the 95 steering box but swapping to a 07 box next week when I do hydroboost. I didn't have to space the bolts on the frame or crossmember to get it to sit flat

JayTee013

Reaction score
I'm using the 95 steering box but swapping to a 07 box next week when I do hydroboost. I didn't have to space the bolts on the frame or crossmember to get it to sit flat

I'm wondering if you will have to notch the trac bar bracket more when you put in the new box. That would explain my issues...

JayTee013

Reaction score
More done this weekend. GETTING SO CLOSE!!!

Rear is installed and sitting on its own weight, Initially truck had about a 3" rake with the, probably mostly due to the Sky shackle flip in the rear. I removed the factory 2" block and it now seems to sit with about a 1" rake which is about perfect.

Getting the E brake cables routed was a job in itself, Some pics:
IMG_4457%20-%20Copy_1.jpg

IMG_4456_1.jpg

Got the rear shocks installed (bilsteins). Ended up using the factory superduty lower mounts. I went a few inches outboard of the factory location on the axle and since there is nothing holding them rotationally at this location, I welded the ubolts to the axle.
Driver:
IMG_4455.jpg

passenger:
IMG_4454.jpg

passenger:
IMG_4453_1.jpg

Rear complete:

IMG_4452_1.jpg

Rebuilt the entire ebrake assemblies and replaced the backer plates and seals in the hub. Those drum ebrakes are a pain. Took me forever to do the first side but the second side was quick once I figured it out. I also got a bit confused with the retainer nut on the drivers side, opposite hand thread! I knew that but had forgotten...
IMG_4449%20-%20Copy.jpg

all complete:
IMG_4450_1.jpg

IMG_4451.jpg

I was at a loss for getting the bearing retainer nut off the hub and didn't want to drive it off with a screwdriver, anyway after realizing I couldn't get my hands on the proper tool on a sunday I made one in 15minutes with a junk 2 1/16 - 3/4 drive socket and my grinder. haha
My special homemade hub removal tool, worked like a champ:

IMG_4446_1.jpg

8WR_ZJ

Reaction score
Keep it up truck is looking great!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
The e-brake cable on my swap has yet to be solved. I see how you did yours and others before but I think I will move my frame bracket forward and hook the cables up how the obs truck does originally, don't want to use cable ties to get it to work. Can't wait to see yours done with those wheels cause I've been looking at those awhile and can't decide yet

JayTee013

Reaction score
Ebrake

The e-brake cable on my swap has yet to be solved. I see how you did yours and others before but I think I will move my frame bracket forward and hook the cables up how the obs truck does originally, don't want to use cable ties to get it to work. Can't wait to see yours done with those wheels cause I've been looking at those awhile and can't decide yet

Yeah, my ebrake solution was not the most elegant, but it works. Actually works. Took it for a 5 mile test drive last night!

Jomax

Reaction score
Did you buy the 2007 steering box yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JayTee013

Reaction score
Drove it 2 nights ago and did 5 miles. Only issue is a pissing power steering line. I used the original 1996 Hard line for the return and kind of tweaked it in to fit on the 2005 steering box, its leaking like crazy now. I kept the '05 return line and the '05 powersteering cooler off the donor and will be using both. That should fix it. Otherwise the truck rides really well. I like it alot. I may be going up a size or two on the tires and a set of 2" hub centric wheel spacers. The tires are looking a bit dinky now that I got the truck out of the garage and on the driveway but I still need to get the bed on to know for sure. The ebrake and brake system seems to be working OK. The vac assist power brakes are definitely not amazing, but it seems to stop just as good, if not better, than it did with the old brake setup, so I think that is good enough for me.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Switch to hydroboost, and it will be an "oh s**t" type of stop! You'll wonder why you didn't do it immediately!

Night and day difference from the vacuum assist brakes. Especially when you have disc brakes in the rear now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Addicted4

Reaction score
I agree on the hydroboost, wish I would have done it first when I started modifying my truck. Let's see some completed pictures

JayTee013

Reaction score
Had to move out of my house over the weekend due to the sale of our home, and successfully drove the truck across town to my parents. I will hopefully get the bed on and power steering and exhaust completed this weekend and it be 100%. Then I just need to find someone to properly align it. i'll get some pics up this weekend.

JayTee013

Reaction score
Well stock 05 bolts only go thru the frame 1/8"

Mine were sticking through about 1/2-5/8" grabbed by 6 or 7 threads. However, I had a bucket of stock ford bolts that from when I completely disassembled the donor, so maybe the bolts I ended up using weren't the power steering box bolts after all, I don't remember...

Addicted4

Reaction score
Copy I found some that were long so I had to make spacers, 150mm will be the correct length. Waiting for pics

JayTee013

Reaction score
So here she is all done. Put almost 300miles on it over the 4th of july weekend, took it for a trip down to the beach and a few other cruises as well as driving it to work. I'm SUPER happy with it, so well behaved on the highway, backroads etc. Thing drives like a 2015. Stops like a dream too, no issues with the MC or vac boost. As far as I'm concerned its perfect. Got the exhaust and powersteering all sorted out as well.

Here's some pics:

IMG_4559.jpg

IMG_4560.jpg

IMG_4557.jpg

IMG_4564.jpg

And what it used to look like for reference:
IMG_3664.jpg

This has been the best thing Ive done to this truck, looks and feels so much more modern and is a joy to drive again. Oh yeah, no more 15 point turns to blow it around in someones driveway, that superduty steering box is awesome!!!!

Latest posts

Members online