Trans cooler flush

martinphoto

Reaction score
Hello all, i'm new to this forum and powerstroke army.
I just recently rebuilt my transmission(4r100) in my 99 F350.
After rebuild the trans now gets hot within 20 minutes of no load driving.
I have removed the trans cooler and blown it out. It didn't want to blow out right away but did blow out like it was slightly plugged. Did same thing with the trans lines and I disassembled the bypass cooler tube.
My question is, should I re-use the trans cooler or replace it? I am going to do the bypass tube ****** also.
The trans got up to 260 for about 7-10 minutes before I got home and shut it off. I have driven it briefly since then and it runs and shifts fine just the temp keeps rising the longer I drive it. Trans fluid is still bright red or pink on my white t-shirt. I also replaced the TC with the Ford HD version when I rebuilt the trans. So again, replace cooler or can I flush it with something besides air and reuse it??

DieselJpower

Reaction score
Replace it for sure. From what I've been told, you just can't get all the crap out of the cooler. Plus it's alot cheaper to replace the cooler, then something go through the trans and tear that up again. I just put a new one in yesterday and trans going back in Monday.

This is also a good opportunity to do a 6.0 trans cooler if you don't already have one.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
My question is, should I re-use the trans cooler or replace it? I am going to do the bypass tube ****** also.
There is no effective way to flush a transmission cooler. Replace it.

Removing the bypass tube is a really bad idea. There is a really cheap rebuild kit that will bring it back to original function. That's what I recommend.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There is no effective way to flush a transmission cooler. Replace it.

Removing the bypass tube is a really bad idea. There is a really cheap rebuild kit that will bring it back to original function. That's what I recommend.
this^^^

listen to this guy!!!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online