08 6.4 oil capacity and abnormal occurance-HELP

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Long story short, I was merging onto a 1 lane road and was forced to step on it. Low and behold a funnel of black smoke exited my exhaust (I was on it for a couple of seconds), and when I let off the gas it continued to come out of the exhaust for a couple of seconds. I was less than a mile away from home so I didn’t think anything of it (drove perfectly fine and I parked it). (Before all this happened I drove the truck for 45 mins, turned it off at a gas station and it would start back up until I cooled it off for about 15mins) Later, I was doing some stuff in the yard and noticed that there was a **** ton of oil dripping from the underside. Looks like a QT of oil blew out the CCV mod reroute I have and went all over the underside including the rear-end. Could find anything wrong besides some black/gray smoke coming out of the exhaust at start up and that the oil level is at the max even after the amount was blown out the CCV. Looks like Diesel is getting into the oil which I know if not good at all. HPFP/Oil pump and injectors were replaced about 10-15k miles ago so I’m not sure if an injector is staying open or if one of the lines are bad?
So, I had the truck towed to a diesel tech who works on 6.4l’s, he ran some tests and said all compression turned out within spec and really has no clue what the issue could be so he said he wants to look at it more closely. He also said it is idling perfectly fine and cant seem to pinpoint the issue. Is all this a normal thing (maybe a glitch occurred with the tunes?), should I be worried?? Any advice or input is greatly appreciated.

BTW- truck is fully ******d, new short block pumps injectors ect... (within last 12k miles give or take) :cursing:

fubolislif22

Reaction score
oh not sure if this has any relevance, but I have a H&S tuner. When the truck is started at idle for a bit (3mins I never let it idle too long) I noticed that it would rev up to about 800-950 rpms (stand still) and would kick back down to about 600 if I tapped the accelerator. Is that something normal with a tuned/******d truck?

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So the mechanic got back to me and said he thinks its the high pressure oil pump which was replaced 12k miles ago with the short block. He was saying the PSI is dropping below 300 when at high rpms, and that it should be around 500psi. What do you guys think?? Could it be...? he also said that if your gonna do the job it could also be the plugs, orings and branch pipe so its best to replace it all, does that sound right? ball park how much would this cost to get replaced in labor and then in parts? he was gonna quote me tmrw, ill keep updating...

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So the mechanic got back to me and said he thinks its the high pressure oil pump which was replaced 12k miles ago with the short block. He was saying the PSI is dropping below 300 when at high rpms, and that it should be around 500psi. What do you guys think?? Could it be...? he also said that if your gonna do the job it could also be the plugs, orings and branch pipe so its best to replace it all, does that sound right? ball park how much would this cost to get replaced in labor and then in parts? he was gonna quote me tmrw, ill keep updating...

I think you need a new mechanic if he is saying you have a hi pressure oil pump, branch tubes, and what im assuming are dummy tubes....

As for your issue, how many miles since the oil was last changed? Had one the other week that had about 25qts in it, but thought he could go 12k on an oil change. Granted at one was stock, but fuel dilution is still an issue, even when delreted.

sootie

Reaction score
get your truck out of the hands of that tech!!!!!!!!!!! He clearly doesn't know the difference between a 6.0 and a 6.4 if he is telling you that stuff.

And no, tunes dont "glitch" after they are flashed to the truck.

boggerr

Reaction score
Do exactly as sootie and 6.0 said, get your truck out of there!
High idle is normal. Stock or tuned they will do that under a certain temp.

Who did the engine work? I hope it's not the same guy looking at it.
They hold 15 qts of oil. Start with dumping the oil to see if you have fuel in there and how much.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys, the truck was not put together by the tech it is currently at. I haven't done an oil change since I purchased the truck but the guy I bought it off of said it just got an oil change done so maybe around 3.5k miles ago? I shouldn't take his word for it and do an oil change regardless.

My main concern with the techs comment is the low pressure on the pump at high rpms? Is this possible with the 6.4's? or does that relate to the 6.0's? Should I just change the oil and drive it and check the dipstick very often? I really don't wanna blow my engine but from what it sounds like its semi-normal. Also what about the no start issue when the truck was warmed up to operating temps (wouldn't start after I turned it off until it was cooled off). Can I Drive the truck with what I said above?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
What pressure is he measuring? There is nothing oil related that is anywhere near 300-500psi on a 6.4 and if he was measuring fuel pressure on the high side the truck wouldn't even run if he was measuring on the low side and it read 300psi the seal on your hpfp is toast and your crank case would be full of fuel.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
What pressure is he measuring? There is nothing oil related that is anywhere near 300-500psi on a 6.4 and if he was measuring fuel pressure on the high side the truck wouldn't even run if he was measuring on the low side and it read 300psi the seal on your hpfp is toast and your crank case would be full of fuel.

Let me clarify with him on what he exactly said, just shot him a text and he is saying its the oil pump. Which now doesn't make any sense as to what you guys are all saying. Should I just get it back change the oil and watch the oil level, or will I cause damage? There had to be a good amount of fuel in the oil for it to shoot out of my CCV reroute tube (all over my rear end and under carriage 1-2 quarts).

He said this exactly "your loosing pressure in higher RPMs during driving while monitoring it and its suppose to be at 500PSI, its dropping below 300 PSI and it could either be the seal or the HPOP going out"

I wonder if it just needs an oil change.... :fustrate:

boggerr

Reaction score

:whs:
I wouldn't drive it until you figure out what's going on, very expensive engine to replace.
I would start with changing the oil to see if and how much fuel is in it. Then post back with what you find.
This "tech" you have it at now has no idea what engine he is working on

fubolislif22

Reaction score
:whs:
I wouldn't drive it until you figure out what's going on, very expensive engine to replace.
I would start with changing the oil to see if and how much fuel is in it. Then post back with what you find.
This "tech" you have it at now has no idea what engine he is working on

I think that's what I'm going to do, I had the truck towed to the techs place (he lived 20 mins away) should I have it towed back or drive it back slowly?

When changing the oil, what am I looking for to tell if there is fuel in it? Any signs or tips on what I want to be looking for?

Also- I said before this all happened the truck was at operating temps (45-50 min drive) and it wouldn't crank back on until it was cooled off a bit. Does this have correlation to my current issues?

Thanks everyone I will post back with my oil results after I figure out how to get it back home...

sootie

Reaction score
tow it back. measure how much oil comes out. if it is more than 15 quarts and smells like diesel, you have fuel getting into the oil.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Let me clarify with him on what he exactly said, just shot him a text and he is saying its the oil pump. Which now doesn't make any sense as to what you guys are all saying. Should I just get it back change the oil and watch the oil level, or will I cause damage? There had to be a good amount of fuel in the oil for it to shoot out of my CCV reroute tube (all over my rear end and under carriage 1-2 quarts).

He said this exactly "your loosing pressure in higher RPMs during driving while monitoring it and its suppose to be at 500PSI, its dropping below 300 PSI and it could either be the seal or the HPOP going out"

I wonder if it just needs an oil change.... :fustrate:
The problem is that there is not a hpop on your engine.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Alright, ill get back with the results but I'm almost positive there is fuel in the oil because I blew out a qt or 2 of oil all over my under carriage from the CCV mod re route and the oil level still says its over the "MAX" line. If that's the case what needs to be done? Ill report back once I get the truck and change the oil... The truck was running perfect until I parked it and decided not to drive it again due to the dripping oil I seen under my truck (it worried me lol)

fubolislif22

Reaction score
Figured I would ask before I drain the oil and report back with that, how hard is the procedure to be able to remove the valve covers in order to check out what's goin on under there? I'm hoping it has nothing to do with the HPFP seal as it was replaced about 12k miles ago

ckrueg

Reaction score
the passenger side valve cover should only take a couple hours, but the drivers side is wuite a bit more work from what i have seen

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
First thing i would do is change the oil. Then take the truck down, probably the dealer as i dont know if oreilys, autozone, etc carry fuel dye. Put 3 bottles of dye in your upper filter. Drive the truck about 100 mi, and check your oil for presence of dye. If injectors, hpfp, rails, or lines are leaking, you will see dye in the oil. If it is just making it past the rings from normal 6.4 running/fuel dilution, it probably will not show up, as it will more than likely burn enough to not make it in the oil. If dye does appear, then i would be pulling valve covers. As stated, passenger side should be an hour or two, drivers side, i feel is slightly easier, eventhough you gotta pull the degas out to be able to work. Everything is right there in the open on the drivers side, passengers side takes some clever engineering with wobbly sockets to get at a couple of the bolts.

fubolislif22

Reaction score
First thing i would do is change the oil. Then take the truck down, probably the dealer as i dont know if oreilys, autozone, etc carry fuel dye. Put 3 bottles of dye in your upper filter. Drive the truck about 100 mi, and check your oil for presence of dye. If injectors, hpfp, rails, or lines are leaking, you will see dye in the oil. If it is just making it past the rings from normal 6.4 running/fuel dilution, it probably will not show up, as it will more than likely burn enough to not make it in the oil. If dye does appear, then i would be pulling valve covers. As stated, passenger side should be an hour or two, drivers side, i feel is slightly easier, eventhough you gotta pull the degas out to be able to work. Everything is right there in the open on the drivers side, passengers side takes some clever engineering with wobbly sockets to get at a couple of the bolts.

Perfect, I will do exactly this, and report back with results... Can I just use a standard black light bulb when checking the dipstick for the dye?

fubolislif22

Reaction score
So here is a quick update, the truck had a fresh oil change done with 15w40 and filter changed. I then added 2 oz of dye into the fuel tank and 2 oz of dye into the upper fuel filter. So far, I currently have about 170 miles on the new oil change and the dye has been flowing thru the system and I have not noticed or seen any of the dye on the oil dipstick when checking daily with the black light at night. Does this mean that no fuel is getting into the oil system? When we did, the oil change we did try to get the oil to read at the half mark on the dipstick but it looks like the oil is just at the full line. Should I drain some oil when the truck has been sitting overnight to make it read at the “half” line and see if it is creating oil that way by driving it a couple more times? I do not see any dye present on the dipstick/cloth after wiping it and my coolant level looks to be the same as usual (was thinking maybe coolant is leaking in). What do you think? Should I go ahead and make sure the oil level is reading at half and report back if the oil level is rising? But like I said no signs of the dye anywhere when checking the oil. Also, the truck does not smoke when driving, but when I first start it in the morning there is “white vapor” that comes out but I don’t think it’s an issue because once I start driving its gone (and it was cold today).

Latest posts

Members online