Questions on updating the 5R110.

colo_dually

Reaction score
So, I've done a lot of research and think I've managed to get into more questions than answers on how best to take my fully functioning 5R110 to the next stage without a complete rebuild.

I'm seeing starting points from torque converter only, to adjusting stall speeds, adding updated solenoids, swapping the 6.4L pan/filter, swapping flex plates, updating the flex plate and TC to the 8-bolt 6.4L pattern, and of course the Billet input shaft.

I'm comfortable dropping the transmission doing minor changes, solenoids, and swapping the converter and flexplate (if required), not sure how much further the average guy can take the 5R110 down without the specialty tools and experience of the shops.

Lets hear from you guys, and your experience:

Swap the torque converter only? (Unit would be from PI or DPC only) Going this route, any real world opinion on staying with the triple disk standard, or is the newer quad-disk units worth the extra?

How would my tuning be effected by running a new converter? Will I be looking at re-writing tunes?

How do most of you guys select the proper stall speed? The truck has the 4.30 gears and a great spooling turbo, so I'm not sure how to make this decision.

Any real benefit to adapting my truck to the 6.4L parts, be that the pan and filter, or going all the way to the flexplate and TC updated bolt pattern?

How far do I need to tear down the transmission to get a Billet Input shaft in there correctly?

The truck is built to tow, I'm thinking getting a few things like this knocked out this summer will be a huge boost to the drivability of this truck. Later down the road may come the full rebuild, but for now I don't have the need.

sootie

Reaction score
No need for six four parts anywhere. Input shaft just slides in, no disassembly required. Modded solenoid is just for the direct clutch application when you have a flair on the 3-5 shift. Nowadays that can mostly be addressed with tuning anyway. Triple disc tc will enhance drivability tremendously and you will never make the power to need a quad disc. Raising the stall speed is strictly to help spool larger turbos, in your case-i would actually lower the stall if you have 4:30s and a quick spooling turbo.

Edit: no tuning adjustments required for just a tc swap

Last edited:
Reaction score
If my tranny is doing fine now what do you guys say about swapping in new tc for higher hp build coming soon. 650hp range. I'd say input shaft will come with it but if I install new tc will I help preserve it?

sootie

Reaction score
Your stock trans actually lives longer with the stock tc. It is acting like a cushion for the torque. Basically absorbing the shock and slipping a bit which saves the trans clutches. When you add a tc, it will drive better and put power down better but transfers that shock load directly to the clutches therefore causing them to slip and fail faster. Worst part is, if you smoke the clutches, the material goes thru the converter and you have to replace it again anyway!

colo_dually

Reaction score
No need for six four parts anywhere. Input shaft just slides in, no disassembly required. Modded solenoid is just for the direct clutch application when you have a flair on the 3-5 shift. Nowadays that can mostly be addressed with tuning anyway. Triple disc tc will enhance drivability tremendously and you will never make the power to need a quad disc. Raising the stall speed is strictly to help spool larger turbos, in your case-i would actually lower the stall if you have 4:30s and a quick spooling turbo.

Edit: no tuning adjustments required for just a tc swap

Thanks for the input here.

Your stock trans actually lives longer with the stock tc. It is acting like a cushion for the torque. Basically absorbing the shock and slipping a bit which saves the trans clutches. When you add a tc, it will drive better and put power down better but transfers that shock load directly to the clutches therefore causing them to slip and fail faster. Worst part is, if you smoke the clutches, the material goes thru the converter and you have to replace it again anyway!

I appreciate the last part there will be a point of caution.

Zmann

Reaction score
looks like all the same advice from the other forum lol

Stock is a 3 disc if you didn't catch that already

sootie

Reaction score
Read my post. A quick spooling setup could utilize a stock stall and be fine or a lower than stock stall to get out of the hole faster(also less hear off the line when towing)

A billit triple disk will be more than ample for your needs, you don't make enough power to warrant a quad disc

colo_dually

Reaction score
Read my post. A quick spooling setup could utilize a stock stall and be fine or a lower than stock stall to get out of the hole faster(also less hear off the line when towing)

A billit triple disk will be more than ample for your needs, you don't make enough power to warrant a quad disc

I am always looking for mulitple opinions. I appreciate your info.

Unless I tear deeper into power, and a rebuild, I am starting to see the quad disk as excessive.

IIVonnyII

Reaction score
leave the trans stock until it blows up . then build it , new clutches , TC , input shaft etc. no need for anything 6.4 lol . I run a PI in my truck , absolutely love it . you don't need a DPC quad disk , you would be incredibly happy with a PI ( plus a sick warranty )

but if you put that PI on your stock trans , it will eat it alive.

Mdub707

Reaction score
The stock converter is already a triple disc, and is only like $350 new from Ford. I like the idea of just running the stock setup until you actually hurt it. They hold up to quite a bit with proper tunes.

bandit6oh

Reaction score
I was about to start a thread asking the same questions. I'm also looking for ways to increase the life and power I can put to the stock trans. I'm not a fan of the "drive it till it breaks" because it'll never break on my terms. I was thinking maybe a billet input shaft and a suncoast shift kit. Sounds like a converter is a no go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mstng5point0

Reaction score
how about the 6.4 pan and filter mod? Is it worth it?

Mostly asking for my dads truck. Its an 03 with 40k miles. Its used to plow so its serviced every year. But is it worth while to change the pan and filter?

I just bought a Warren Comp trans for my truck and it came with the 6.4 pan and filter.

Zmann

Reaction score
it's a neat mod but i don't think it's a life saver of any kind

bandit6oh

Reaction score
What does the 6.4 pan gain you? More fluid capacity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

samgoto96

Reaction score
The 08.5 6.4 pans have higher fluid capacity and a better filtering element.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.