No crank

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
Ok guys, I am in need of som help with a no crank. Pulled chip, same result: I can hear starter relay pulling in which sends power to fuel pump. That's all I got. Checked all fuses and swapped horn relay with idm relay. What is the next thing to check?

I also tried the search function and google, so I apologize if this has already been covered.

Bugman

Reaction score
How are the batteries? Do you have a charger that you can put them on for a day and then retry to start?

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
Ok so I got truck going again. Not really sure what the "fix" was. I took the starter in and it tested good. Took small wire off starter and starter relay and it ohmed out. Put starter back in and it started. Put chip back in and done. Thanks for the help!

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
As stated above, problem came back. No click no slow starter, got out pecked the starter a few times with a hammer and pow started right up. Even though I had starter checked I think it's something inside it. Anyone ever had one apart?

psduser1

Reaction score
Ignition switch?
Neutral safety switch?
Both can cause this. Pull the cover on both switches, and if there is any corrosion at all, buy new.

Bugman

Reaction score
Instead of banging on the starter with a hammer get a volt meter out and check the voltages on the fender mounted relay and see if you are sending voltage down to the starter solenoid when you turn the key to start.

If you don't have a meter you really should have one when working on these trucks. You can pick up a pretty good volt/ohm meter for under $20

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
The way I have my efuel wired, I come off the secondary side of fender mounted relay to the oil switch witch backfeeds the relay to the fuel pump. I can hear the fender mounted relay close and watch fuel pressure rise and hear fuel pump. If I let off key relay on fender opens, fuel pump cuts off. I also ohmed wire from fender mounted relay to starter, it's good. Would the fender mounted relay pull in if clutch safety switch was bad,I assume not.

I am pretty good with wiring, and handy with a meter. I have 19 years as a IBEW inside journeyman wireman. Although this starter seems to have me stumped. Ha

psduser1

Reaction score
If the relay on the fender works, then the ignition switch should be good
A faulty clutch interlock switch would keep the starter from operating.

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
I thought if the fender mounted relay was pulling in everything with the starting circuit was working properly.

Bugman

Reaction score
The fender mounted relay only sends a signal wire down to the starter solenoid to kick in the starter which does the high amperage work.

Other than that if the fender mounted one is pulling in when the key is turned to start then everything from the ignition switch to it should be good to go.

501 96 7.3

Reaction score
That's what I thought. The fender mounted relay closes every time I turn the key to start it, that's what has me baffled, that should engage starter. I wonder if the solineoid on starter is acting up?