Both front shackles bent

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Both the front shackles are bent, can the leaf springs be adjusted left and right on the axle?Or is there a pin in the axles the leaf springs align with?
Part of me thinks whoever messed with them last didn't align the leaf springs so it put to much tension on them?

Obviously I am going to replace them but don't want it to happen again. Do these look like the stock size shackles?

59e28861e7d2c65ff53dc4cb187ac6d1.jpg
3bd96cabb9fa87d618acbe73527ad003.jpg
f98c29f2eda6878c1ea467ae5826fc6a.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
My question is where did you find a truck that clean!?!?!

superpsd

Reaction score
Thats the TTB Axle. Looks like someone installed different leaf springs. The oem springs are inverted and tapered d to deal with the flex of the beams. I hope someone didn't just throw in some solid Axle leafs. Also the bushings may be shot by looking at the angle of the spring sitting in its shackle. Most dump the TTB for the D60 Axle. I kept my TTB and did a 5" RSK. I bet it rides like a tank the way you have it setup.

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Thats the TTB Axle. Looks like someone installed different leaf springs. The oem springs are inverted and tapered d to deal with the flex of the beams. I hope someone didn't just throw in some solid Axle leafs. Also the bushings may be shot by looking at the angle of the spring sitting in its shackle. Most dump the TTB for the D60 Axle. I kept my TTB and did a 5" RSK. I bet it rides like a tank the way you have it setup.
So would you recommend getting this?

http://www.pmfsuspension.com/OBS-RSK-SD-Spring-Hanger-Conversion-Kit_p_13.html

Here is how the truck sits on 32s, any idea which lift option for this kit would keep it at the same?

I seriously know nothing about this suspension setup vs stock
e792732918ddab58948850b50b20ffc3.jpg

superpsd

Reaction score
How does it ride now? If you use a RSK kit you need to have the correct drop brackets and drop pitman arm. I run the OEM springs with the Sky Manufacturing 5" RSK kit with the Skyjacker drop pivot brackets and Sky drop pitman. I can get some good pictures tomorrow as the sun is supose to be coming out finally. Or you need to find a D60 from a 350 with the correct gear set. Even if you go D60 a RSK is highly recommended. These rigs ride much better with a RSK. My stock TTB truck rode like a Ford Model T going down a logging road and with the RSK rides much much smoother.

Nice looking truck you got there.

Here is mine.
IMAG2574_1_zpsrobaqtjp.jpg

Last edited:

freddie

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend going D60 and RSK kit with super duty springs. You won't regret it.

Get the PMF 2.5" RSK, and Super Duty U code springs (I bought mine used). Should keep it closer to your height. Get us the measurement from the center of your hub, to the top of the fender opening. I will compare to my 97 CCSB measurements, when I get home today. And will post a picture of my truck's height for reference.

DudeManScott

Reaction score
I'd highly recommend going D60 and RSK kit with super duty springs. You won't regret it.

Get the PMF 2.5" RSK, and Super Duty U code springs (I bought mine used). Should keep it closer to your height. Get us the measurement from the center of your hub, to the top of the fender opening. I will compare to my 97 CCSB measurements, when I get home today. And will post a picture of my truck's height for reference.
Looks like just about 24.75" on 32s.

Thanks

freddie

Reaction score
I will check mine and get back to you. I think my front measurement is 26.5-27" but I'll confirm.

In the meantime, if you did the height like I suggested (I can post a pic later for clarification), than your tire size is completely irrelevant. Again, if that measurement is the same as i'm describing, than your truck is lifted approximately 3" in the front. Looks like somebody put lift springs in with your TTB. Can you check and see if there are TTB drop brackets in place?

I think that there is so much twisting and binding in your front leaf springs that it has extremely worn your leaf spring bushings, even though they appear to be poly bushings.

Also, and maybe it isn't as bad as I think, but it really looks like the camber adjustment bushing has the ball joint really angled a good amount.

I still suggest going with a D60, RSK, and super duty leafs. It will ride better, have better articulation, and less tire wear. Not nearly as many moving parts to wear either. With your current configuration, it looks like if you replace the leaf spring bushings, they'd be difficult to get the leaf spring bolts back in, and it would just wear the bushings out again prematurely.

Last edited:

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Yeah I definitely did the measurement right, idk why I was thinking tire size mattered haha. Is this the bracket?
2d1fe21442cd3393143ae3ca4f5d09b8.jpg

freddie

Reaction score
Someone else who knows more about the Dana 50's should chime in, but here's my guess. Those may be an actual manufactured pivot drop brackets, but they look homemade to me. Factory pivot brackets wouldn't be welded to the crossmember either.. I'm guessing that they are way too large of a drop bracket, and the springs are also not factory, but still not giving enough lift to equalize the pivot bolt drop, so it's twisting the springs excessively, and also giving the truck a lot of negative camber, which is corrected by those camber bushings.

Things are way out of whack for sure.

You could buy an actual branded F250 lift kit to be installed, but I still vote for Dana 60 and RSK. Get that TTB out of there.

freddie

Reaction score
On level ground, hold a level or ruler across the width of the leaf spring, near the ubolts. It should be level or very close to level with the ground. Yours look like they are not level , but that's because they are twisting. And all of that twisting force is exerted on your leaf spring bushings.

superpsd

Reaction score
Those are the same drop brackets I have. They are the Skyjacker class I brackets. They are in fact the best thickest stronger drop pivot brackets you can buy. Many of the other drop brackets are much weaker. They are supose to be welded to prevent cracking of the cross member. In fact I think you have a compete skyjacker lift kit on that truck. I have those same brackets along with the 5" RSK and stock leafs. The brackets allow for 4" and 6" lift as you can see there are two pivot bolt holes. Skyjacker also makes a one piece class II drop braket/frame. I would roll in a D60 with RSK or either do what I did and install the RSK and stock TTB springs. The cool thing about RSK with a TTB is you can bolt a D60 Axle to the same RSK kit if staying with OBS Springs. Using superduty Springs on an OBS uses a different RSK kit. My ground to fender clearance is 43" with the fake 33" tires (255/85/16) and 28" from center of hub to fender.

Last edited:

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Those are the same drop brackets I have. They are the Skyjacker class I brackets. They are in fact the best thickest stronger drop pivot brackets you can buy. Many of the other drop brackets are much weaker. They are supose to be welded to prevent cracking of the cross member. In fact I think you have a compete skyjacker lift kit on that truck. I have those same brackets along with the 5" RSK and stock leafs. The brackets allow for 4" and 6" lift as you can see there are two pivot bolt holes. Skyjacker also makes a one piece class II drop braket/frame. I would roll in a D60 with RSK or either do what I did and install the RSK and stock TTB springs. The cool thing about RSK with a TTB is you can bolt a D60 Axle to the same RSK kit if staying with OBS Springs. Using superduty Springs on an OBS uses a different RSK kit. My ground to fender clearance is 43" with the fake 33" tires (255/85/16) and 28" from center of hub to fender.
Yeah I am almost certain you are right. The rear has Sky Jacker 7000 shocks and when I bought the truck it had a single add a leaf, as in only on one side of the rear haha. Didn't notice when I first bought it so I took it off after. I can't tell when shocks are in the front because they are painted but I can tell they were white and the outline of the sticker looks like the skyjackers. Pivot arm looks like the one from the kit too.

What would be the issue with putting an RSK with the skyjacker leafs?

Also would you be able to measure from the center of your hub to the top of the fender?

DudeManScott

Reaction score
Oh wait you did include that...mine is about 40" and 25". So if I go like the 2.25" RSK kit from PMF it would sit higher than it is now right?

superpsd

Reaction score
Yeah. I can get you some pictures latter and some measurements. I don't know how the lifted leafs and RSK would work out. The stock springs with 5" RSK basically lifted it 4.5" from over stock height. The beams lay pretty flat in my configuration. The stock leafs are much thicker in a tapered design to accommodate the TTB twist. In my opinion aftermarket leafs on the TTB don't work well as you can see in your own pictures. The stock TTB leafs are inverted from the typical leaf. Also I use the 4" drop bolt hole on the pivot brackets as does yours currently. If you have lifted springs you would have to at least use the lower 6" drop pivot hole. This would put the angle of the beams at a very unknown angle. May or may not make alignment a problem. Also with that far of a drop you may need to extend or relocate the brake lines. The TTB rides best as man. Have said when at ride height the beams lay flat and the tie rods lay flat as possible. The more the tie rods are angled the more likely the tie rods to pull the tires together under suspension travel and can cause faster tire wear. Mine are at a slight angle with a standard drop Pitman arm but I have no tire wear issues after having a good shop dial up the alignment in. Getting a good alignment on a TTB will really save your tires. The shop I used did a great job and handed me the before and after specs printed out for me to see. One year of daily driving and my M/TS are wearing evenly.

Last edited:

superpsd

Reaction score
Oh wait you did include that...mine is about 40" and 25". So if I go like the 2.25" RSK kit from PMF it would sit higher than it is now right?

Yes mine sits at 43 and 28" from the hub to top of fender opening.