No ICP pressure

Reaction score
The IPR checked out, changed it with a known good one just for safety sake‘s and it still checks out, oil reservoir is full, regular oil pressure gauge has full pressure, ICP checked with computer and a manual gauge and is only building about 20 PSI. Does this point to the high-pressure oil pump or is there something else I have missed? High-pressure oil pump is minimum six years old and it was a stealth pump. Was driving down the road when the truck lost power and then just died. Will not restart, no smoke out the tail pipe, all gauges are working fine, tack oil etc.

psduser1

Reaction score
Double check drive gear, just for chits/giggles.
Did you use a manual gauge to check pressure at the oil rail? I'm assuming that is what you meant. Might pull both hpo hoses, plug one, and put a gauge on the other to verify oil pressure-rules out any injector issues.
My gut says going down the road, and dieing, points to the hpop. Just went down this road, recently.

Reaction score
Yes I was using a manual gauge in the oil rail on the head. Truck ran to good for an injector issue unless they all died at once? Buzz test showed all good and strong though. Thanks!

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yes I was using a manual gauge in the oil rail on the head. Truck ran to good for an injector issue unless they all died at once? Buzz test showed all good and strong though. Thanks!
Was it a billet stealth or the infamous srp?

Unplug icp sensor and try to start it. see if that does anything.. should force it into default and build pressure. If not then id say the pump puked its cookies..

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Yep, the srp. Unplugging was the first thing I tried hoping it would be simple for him(brother in laws truck) but when it didn’t that’s why I tested further. According to what I know and tested and from you all agreeing I went ahead and pulled it out and he is going to order one.

m_j

Reaction score
the springs can break and send brass fillings. only way to know is open it up and see.

mandkole

Reaction score
Yes. You could spend more time working a suspect srp to troubleshoot it or just grab another pump and stab it in.

Reaction score
Oh yeah. New pump showed up this evening, going to start putting it all back together as long as it ain’t raining in the morning. Will let ya know after it’s up and running.

m_j

Reaction score
wow that will suck if the issue is elsewhere like an injector oring gone...

Reaction score
Not really, high performance high pressure oil pump‘s are not worth the money and less you plan on building a drag race truck. Factory HPOP pumps build all the pressure these 7.3’s will ever need.

Reaction score
All good! It burped twice and fired up on the third try. Loped pretty good for a few minutes then straightened out. Still needs to be taken out and have the hell ran out out of it to help purge any air but I can't do that yet because now we got to fix the original problem he was coming over for. Something in the rearend has or is coming loose. Put it in the air and put it in drive and you can feel it hitting/thumping on the pumpkin cover. Little play on the pinion as well.

Then on my old 99 the 4x4 quit working......after I was stuck with the gooseneck trailer. Its always something,lol.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
All good! It burped twice and fired up on the third try. Loped pretty good for a few minutes then straightened out. Still needs to be taken out and have the hell ran out out of it to help purge any air but I can't do that yet because now we got to fix the original problem he was coming over for. Something in the rearend has or is coming loose. Put it in the air and put it in drive and you can feel it hitting/thumping on the pumpkin cover. Little play on the pinion as well.

Then on my old 99 the 4x4 quit working......after I was stuck with the gooseneck trailer. Its always something,lol.
Oh ****. Prolly spider gears lodged in ring gear hitting cover. Or bearings are completely toast.

live life full throttle

Reaction score
Will know tonight. Going to pull the cover off and see what all is toast. I think something broke/chipped off and it is in between the gears. Or already went through it and now it's missing a tooth.

Side note, 4x4 on mine is good to go again. 3 hours of tracing down wires and fuses and relays etc and turned out to be a bad connection on a wire from several years ago (4 years I think) when I converted it from auto to manual.

Latest posts

Members online