new CK-4 spec'd oil ok for use? Delo 15-40

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I know i've read some where ford does not recommend it for the newer trucks. Just recently grabbed 5 gallons of the 15-40 delo Isosyn stuff at wally world. Didnt realize it was ck-4 specd till it was already in the truck. This stuff ok to run?

jimdawg185

Reaction score
See if it's F1 spec. But it should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
dont see an F-1

• API Service Categories CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4,
CH-4, SM
• Cummins CES 20081
• Detroit Diesel DDC Power Guard 93K218
• DEUTZ DQC III-10 LA
• Mack EO-O Premium Plus
• MAN M 3575
• MB-Approval 228.31
• MTU Category 2.1
• Renault VI RLD-3
• Volvo VDS-4
• ZF TE-ML 04C
Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 meets the
requirements of:
• Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2
• Ford WSS-M2C171-E
• JASO DH-2
• ACEA European Service Categories
E9, E7
• major diesel engine manufacturers’:
— Caterpillar
— Cummins
— Detroit Diesel
— MACK
— MAN
— Mercedes
— Volvo

jimdawg185

Reaction score
dont see an F-1

• API Service Categories CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4,

CH-4, SM

• Cummins CES 20081

• Detroit Diesel DDC Power Guard 93K218

• DEUTZ DQC III-10 LA

• Mack EO-O Premium Plus

• MAN M 3575

• MB-Approval 228.31

• MTU Category 2.1

• Renault VI RLD-3

• Volvo VDS-4

• ZF TE-ML 04C

Delo 400 LE SAE 15W-40 meets the

requirements of:

• Caterpillar ECF-3, ECF-2

• Ford WSS-M2C171-E

• JASO DH-2

• ACEA European Service Categories

E9, E7

• major diesel engine manufacturers’:

— Caterpillar

— Cummins

— Detroit Diesel

— MACK

— MAN

— Mercedes

— Volvo

Ford threw a fit about CK4 without their F1 spec. It's probably ok, but who knows. The majors seem to be having difficulty with CK4 that Fords pointing out.

jimdawg185

Reaction score

mandkole

Reaction score
^^ Id agree... besides, the PSD is a 20+ yr old legacy engine, most engines are in excess of 150k miles, and not ford design. Ford is more concerned about their design/current product with this spec. I plan to continue to use Delo without concern.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
The problem with the new oil spec is there is less zinc and phosphorus.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Correct, but it's a marginal change. The challenge is they always both the gas and diesel spec. I don't believe for a second they can't do what Ford wants. They are choosing to do what they want and not care if they loose business. They care about customers who buy million gallons of oil, and not a guy and his single truck. Chevron lost one of their largest customers last year. They have millions of gallons of base oil in surplus and are figuring their way through the mess. Shell was in a similar situation

superpsd

Reaction score
CJ4 is still available from LE and a few others. I switched to LE from Delo. Happy so far. I also noticed less oil gets sucked out thru the CCV system.

ja_cain

Reaction score
CJ4 is still available from LE and a few others. I switched to LE from Delo. Happy so far. I also noticed less oil gets sucked out thru the CCV system.
Might have a tighter mw distribution in the base stock and also less susceptible to shear (star polymere instead of traditional vii's?). I should have a UOA camparo on LE vs Delo here soon. Interested to see what the viscosity looks like.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
I've noticed viscosity creeping up under oxidative stress on the Delo. And the CK4 is doing it more. I've just received some of my first heavy duty fleet Delo reports. I'm not exactly sure what to say. It will take some time to settle everything out I think.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I've noticed viscosity creeping up under oxidative stress on the Delo. And the CK4 is doing it more. I've just received some of my first heavy duty fleet Delo reports. I'm not exactly sure what to say. It will take some time to settle everything out I think.

Interesting. Tempted to run some in my truck just to get some comparo data and see if the shearing we see in the heui counteracts some of the viscosity increase inherent with increased oxidation. What are some of the antioxidants used in motor oils? We use bht and Weston (amomgst others) to stabilize polymers like hdpe.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score
Interesting. Tempted to run some in my truck just to get some comparo data and see if the shearing we see in the heui counteracts some of the viscosity increase inherent with increased oxidation. What are some of the antioxidants used in motor oils? We use bht and Weston (amomgst others) to stabilize polymers like hdpe.

Everything has changed with CK4, so I'd be speculating right now. We source from Infinium for our API pack and our own secrecy for proprietary stuff.

jim.kukulski.

Reaction score

You probably won't see shearing. The analysis I see is the opposite, which isn't any better. It's actually increasing viscosity indeed stress. And the film strength is getting murdered.

ja_cain

Reaction score
You probably won't see shearing. The analysis I see is the opposite, which isn't any better. It's actually increasing viscosity indeed stress. And the film strength is getting murdered.

That's crazy. My brother has been traveling so much that I haven't had a chance to get his take on the new spec. A while back he did share that statement that Ford released about not supporting the new spec.

I've always wondered about the 7.3 propensity to produce higher levels of wear iron (I thought I read this once) possibly due to more cylinder surface area vs other designs? I guess if the sump is scaled with this difference relative to other engines the oil should be able to take care of the extra load. If it can keep the tan/tbn numbers acceptable over the service interval then everything should be ok with regards to iron catalyzed oxidation. Are there any other components that could be catalyzing this?

I guess gas engines can have higher oxygen available due to the oxygenated fuels available now. I could see this causing a problem especially if the car isn't driven on a regular basis. Do/can they oxygenate diesel fuels?

Btw, how many chassis dynos does LE have. I wounder if the lack of dyno testing vs bench testing is driving this? Real world testing is ultimately what needs to be done. Super expensive though.

Reaction score
The zinc and phosphorus reduction is to extend Nox and soot sensor life. Detroit Diesel and Cummins have asked oil manufacturers to basically do what they did in the early 90s with automotive to reduce oxygen sensor failures. The idle vapor when idling has been ruining nox sensor after nox sensor.. Nox sensors for DD15 one box/Cummins scr Catalyst usually run about $250 each and they also have SCR brick coating issues which can stop the reaction process inside the SCR catalyst.. Trust me it all sucks really bad and it's gonna get worse if we don't start writing our congressmen..

Latest posts

Members online