97 fuel tank leak

needen$77

Reaction score
Has anyone have any issues with leaks? I found a puddle under mine and i haven't hit anything and there is no rust

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

rrchlin

Reaction score
Grandpops f150 started leaking a little out of the rear ta k after changing a leaf spring hanger with an air chisel. The tanks not rusty but where the straps wrap around probably are. Ive had lots of tanks leak from the straps.

Edir: forgot that ive had many tanks leak from the tanks fuel locking ring. Those tanks were only a problem when I filled them up.

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Seen quite a few leak at the straps as said. Dont have to be rusty though. Sometimes the rubber chits, and then you got metal on metal rubbing. Typically the tank is first to get the hole.

needen$77

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number for the rear tank. I cant find one on LMC or the parts store website's

Peroni

Reaction score
I had a stone between the skid plate and tank rub a hole in my rear tank. Replaced with a Spectra F1G. Ford number is F6TZ9002A

Chris2590

Reaction score
af4abccc169ff69015b1603493f78151.jpg

My rear tank has been leaking for a long time and I'm finally changing tonight. I've been just the front tank except on longer trips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

needen$77

Reaction score
Am i missing something? Its to late to look but on a 97 the 2 tanks are they not both on the side??

needen$77

Reaction score
I would say under. That's crazy I had always thought the rear tank was also on the side but that's actually a relief that means my front ones leaking and I don't use it because the gauge doesn't work. I've been needing to pull it anyways. One reason I thought that is everyone was telling me that the rear filler neck was so hard to fill up because it had to go to the front closer to the cab but that makes me wonder more why it's a pain to fill the rear tank up since it essentially goes in like a gas model which I never had trouble with.

Chris2590

Reaction score
Yeah I figured that out last night. I feel stupid there was a little groove it sits right in. I read the front one is harder to drop. The rear wasn't bad just pb blaster the hell out of the bolts on the skid plate before you start and make sure you have a 3/8 fuel line tool. My rear tank fills up fine but my front tank clicks the pump off non stop. Is that the problem your having? It's a pain in the ass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online