Icon 2.5" coil problem on a 2017

MrMike2010

Reaction score
Has anyone ran into an issue with icon coils making excessive noise over bumps on a 2017? I know you are thinking how do coils make noise, but I've noticed with the progressive rate springs, the softer top coils are like an 1/8" apart just on the drivers side and constantly clank over the slightest bump.

I pulled my hair out for months trying to locate this noise after I installed my leveling kit. I started with the usually culprit, the track bar, and that's torqued to 450+ ft/lbs. checked the shocks and caster shims which were all tight. Even thought the lug nuts might have been bottoming out on the stud before they were tight so I swapped them out for longer ones. Had the lug issue on my previous truck and it's an uneasy feeling when I took them off to see all the lugs split in half.

Here are some pictures. Notice the slight gap between the top coils
418E303F-688F-466E-97C2-75AB1B8D0282.jpg

Now this was my remedy. I wedged some shims between the tight coils and went for a ride and to my surprise, silence!
735EFE90-F275-49C9-BF32-095012083DBE.jpg

Anyone seen or hear of this before? The ride is great but the noise is horrendous. I hate to pull the springs but I see carli coils going in real soon

MrMike2010

Reaction score
Let's try this. Here's a pic of how tight the top few coils
2mx4thd.jpg

My remedy with shims. Only lasted about a mile but it was a very quiet and no clanking mile!
2ilhrfp.jpg

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Have you spoken with your supplier for the coils? did you get the right spring for your truck? Maybe you just got a bad set, but that's odd.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
It's the right coil according to icons website. I emailed icon with some pictures a few days ago with no response. The driver side is much worse then passengers side and it's not like I have an aftermarket bumper or plow set up either. There's no additional weight upfront at all.

Skanj0

Reaction score
Any update on this? There are tons of 2005-2016 super dutys on the road with Icon 2.5" leveling coils. Anyone else having this issue?

MrMike2010

Reaction score
No update. Icon never got back to me. I'll try calling them tomorrow and see what they say. my feeling is that I'll be ditching the icons and going with carli soon. My truck clunks like it has 250k hard miles. Sucks

Skanj0

Reaction score
No update. Icon never got back to me. I'll try calling them tomorrow and see what they say. my feeling is that I'll be ditching the icons and going with carli soon. My truck clunks like it has 250k hard miles. Sucks

Sorry to hear this.

I wonder if there is something different with the 2017s that could be the cause? Icon must have hundreds (if not thousands) of Super Duty leveling coils on the road since 2005 when coil spring Super Duty's were released.

Swampfox

Reaction score
I know its not Icon but the carli coils part # appears to be the same for the 05-16's and the 17's. That coil definitely looks like its too close together at the top. Pic below is off truck toyz site showing the 2.5" icon coil for comparison.

dsc_0013(4)_113_detail.jpg

Skanj0

Reaction score
Is there a different spring for diesel and gas engines?

Not that I have seen from the major aftermarket players. The springs are designed for the diesel trucks (since the motor is heavier), and they just tell folks with gas motors to expect a tad more lift and a little firmer ride.

Skanj0

Reaction score
Another data point to add to the mix: today I installed Icon 2.5" dual rate coils on my 2016 F350 SRW. The outgoing coils were Tuf Trucks Coils TTC-2813, 2.5" leveling coils rated at 7,500 lbs for the pair. I put these on due to my heavy truck camper. As I dont plow, they made the front end a little stiff when hitting small bumps, etc. I like them with the camper, but I only use the camper 3-4 times per year.

Prior to tearing into the project I measured the front ride height. The front left was 43 1/4 to the center of the fender lip and the front right was 43 3/4 (indicating the left side was 1/2" lower than the front right). I should add that my truck has the oem front bumper and no front winch. I do have a front receiver hitch but nothing is currently mounted to it. I also have the Titan 50g fuel tank.

Next step was installing the Icon coils. Happy to report no issues with the install. I then took it for a test drive. Just backing out of my driveway I could already feel that the front suspension was softer. Driving a few normal routes I could tell the ride was much better. It is much softer in the first inch or two of travel, and then it started firming-up as the second rate came into play. At no time did it feel like a 1972 Caddy - wallowing everywhere.

Unfortunatelty I did get the metal 'clanking' heard by the OP on his 2017. I know its the springs since it didn't exist before the spring swap. I noticed it over larger bumps and potholes, but it did not occur most of the time. Overall, I an very pleased with the ride of the Icon cools and plan to just live with the periodic clanking.

PS - During the install I also added 2 PMF 1/4" coil spacers above the left coil to help offset the Super Duty lean. It worked well as post install ride height was now 43 3/4 (left) and 44 (right). This is close enough for me.

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score

I daily drive an 05 6.0 with almost 250k on it, it's been plow truck for years, that's leveled and has had the hardest life you could imagine and there is not a clunk, or pop anywhere in the truck it makes less noise then my 167000 mile 2010 6.4 does. I'm actually swapping out the daystar leveling kit that came with it for carli coils because they ride so much better then stock.

Skanj0

Reaction score

I found a quick and cost effective way to mitigate the clanking of the softer upper coils: plastic spiral wrap. They have it at Home Depot in the electrical section. One 3' piece of 1/2" diameter wrap does more than enough of the upper coil winds that are close together. I applied it at the first coil with a decent amount of space around it and kept applying until the entire 3' piece was used. Then I slowly worked it up the coil until there was wrap between all of the closely spaced coils. Took about 5 mins per side.

Then went an did a 115 mile test drive on diferent roads. Not once did I hear the distinctive clank of the coils. On a couple of the large potholes I could feed the spring transition points through the steering wheel, but it was a dull impact.

Overall I am pleased with the ride of these coils - including the $3.50 fix for the clanking of the softer rate coils.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online