Going BIG! 2015 6.7- Project Radio Flyer

Wayne

Reaction score
I finally updated a bit from my last work truck, a decently built '08 CCLB to this one; a '15 CCSB, vermillion red lariat. It's not EXACTLY what I wanted, but it was really close, and the price couldn't be beat. I really wanted the fancy console, but what do you do when you have 4 kids? Therefore, this one has 6 seat belts. Without further ado, here's the new to me truck I've nicknamed the radio flyer:

How I got it; bone stock except for the old man steps.
IMG_20170607_081955287.jpg

A month into owning it, I nailed the back of a buick I didn't realize stopped in front of me on a 2 lane highway. I was towing too. I got the better end of the deal, but still lost every major cooler on the front, as well as the bumper, grille, L headlight, and L fender. Luckily everybody walked away, and nobody was in their back seat.
IMG_20170708_195221444.jpg

IMG_20170708_172332689_HDR.jpg

IMG_20170708_175756822_TOP.jpg

While I was fixing damage from the accident, I figured it would be a great time to de-chrome it. rear bumper pieces when to sand blasting, powder coat, and finally I painted over the powder for a perfect color match that ought to hold up well for a long time.
IMG_20170728_164222564.jpg

I went with a new PTM grille surround, and a carriage works grille insert. JD Gleason hooked me up with some morimoto 4.0 HID projectors and LED bulbs. I put the lights together using body match and jet black paint on some new take-off lights I got from a neighbor. I also smoked the mirror lights, and painted the chrome on the fender badges. 4X4 decals had to go, as did the diesel badges on the fenders.
http://powerstrokearmy.com/photopost/data/500/medium/IMG_20170809_193926071.jpg

New bumper is courtesy of Road armor. I also wanted a front mount reciever, so I welded everything in where the logo cut-out goes. It's currently at powder coat, going body match red. I should have it back so I can paint by the weekend.
IMG_20170809_122828295.jpg

I'm also doing a 10" 300 series lift I got from Dave at One Up Offroad. Here's the front with all the old stuff ripped out.
IMG_20170812_160934213.jpg

More pics and updates to come.

Jomax

Reaction score
Crazy how little damage the truck took vs the Buick..... it's going to be a sweet truck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. It has proven to be a fantastic truck so far. It's a miracle nobody got hurt in that wreck. We didn't even call an ambulance. To clarify Seth, by going big, I meant in size, not necessarily power. We'll see on the power side after the other stuff is handled. I do have it SCT/No Limit race tuned, with a 5" downpipe back AFE exhaust, and that big hunk of aluminum scrap removed from the top of the passenger valve cover, again, courtesy of No Limit components. I'm pretty satisfied in the power department for now. We'll see after I go from 32s to 40's though. This truck has the 3.31:1 axle ratio too. 4:30's are on the shelf waiting for after a little dyno session.

I did a bone stock dyno run before anything happened. Ill do it again on stock rubber and race tunes, then again on 40's; then a final dyno run after the re-gearing is complete. I just really want to see first-hand the effects of big tires and gears independently.

Maybe we'll re-visit the power department once the suspension and associated parts are dialed in, but first things first. I really hope to do a resto-mod on a '59 F-100 with a 6.7 in the semi-near future. That would be the one to do crazy things with so this thing can keep to daily driver duties on a more reasonable budget.

Last edited:

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Good work Wayne. I cant wait to see you have the full kit installed.

Let me know if you want a bolt on compound kit just for laughs to really put it over the top :D

Wayne

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Magic Valley Hotrodz is the only place in the area with a chassis dyno, and their shop is only a couple miles from mine, so it makes it easy. Jared, I'd love to eventually put compounds on, but I'll need to save up for a while before I can justify all that's involved with that. I'm supposed to get the bumper back from powder coat today, and the lift is close to done as well. I'll probably post up a couple more pics over the weekend.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
Cool thanks. I would be interested to get my truck on a dyno just for ****z.

I drove by your shop last Saturday. I thought about stopping in but wasn't sure you were open.

Wayne

Reaction score
If the lights are on, I'm probably here. Come over any time. I hope to be getting this thing on the road tomorrow, so I'll be here wrapping up stuff.

Plzstrokeme

Reaction score
That thing is massive dude. It shouldn't be too hard to pick you out in traffic. If you see some idiot waving from a pathfinder or blue obs its me :toast:

Looks awsome btw

08Monster

Reaction score
Good work Wayne. I cant wait to see you have the full kit installed.

Let me know if you want a bolt on compound kit just for laughs to really put it over the top :D
What's the scoop on this bolt on compound kit. I remember seeing something but did a search and couldn't find it again.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Wayne

Reaction score
Not that it's picture worthy or anything, but I did end up swapping tail gates with a '10 super duty of the same color because it had the much needed tailgate step. The cameras were a direct transfer, so that worked out nice. Now the small stuff I do end up hauling in the bed will be more accessible. I kind of like the lines and emblem on the '10 trucks better anyway so it worked out good for both of us on the swap. It's pretty safe to say now this truck will never see a goose neck hitch LOL

That thing is massive dude. It shouldn't be too hard to pick you out in traffic. If you see some idiot waving from a pathfinder or blue obs its me :toast:

Looks awsome btw

LOL LOL LOL sounds good

What's the scoop on this bolt on compound kit. I remember seeing something but did a search and couldn't find it again.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That would be a beautiful kit to throw on some day. It, or something similar is on the bucket list.

turned out nice Wayne....big and lots of red lol

I think you should rebuild my 77 scout :poke:

Thanks Shone. The red can be overwhelming at times. I'll probably end up doing some black graphics of my shop down the side to mix it up a bit. Let me know when you want to send the scout this way ;)

Latest posts

Members online