T4 - SXE Stock Injectors

LakeBum

Reaction score
Im throwing in the towel. Tired of stock turbos and having to back out of it while towing with anything more then a heavy tow tune.

Decided to go the T4 route but need some help sizing a SXE turbo.

The truck has stock injectors with future plans to upgrade to 160/80s. My main goal is to get out of 2nd gear and tow in 3rd and 4th. (3rd in the hills and 4th on the highway. Keep in mind, I do have 35s

Any suggestions? 68 vs 74 turbine wheel? Thinking the 364.5 compressor with a .91 housing but again would like some input from the masses. :toast:

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Not a turbo guru, but I think the 362 outflows the 38r, so why not a 363? I think Swaan on this site may be a good one to chime in.

Reaction score
Bolt a 38r on it. And it will still be good with those injectors and save the left over money for a hpop

LakeBum

Reaction score
Bolt a 38r on it. And it will still be good with those injectors and save the left over money for a hpop

38r is old school and not what Im interested in. I need the ability to pull below 2000 rpms and not have EGT issues.

Last edited:

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
Everyone so ready to spend your money!

Couple questions. What truck do you have? OBS? SD?

What kind of weight are you towing?

I dont know many people having EGT issues with stock injectors. Is everything running correctly?

38R may be old school but it plain works. Cant argue that....

10K behind me and I pull WA state passes at 70 in 6th gear on my hottest tune. Thats leaving plenty of room to drop a gear if needed. Im usually running right at 1200 EGT holding steady speed.

If your dead set on T4 and wont go larger than 160's. 364.5/74/.91 would work great. 363 might be better for towing, spool up a tad quicker. Havent seen much real world info on this one yet.

LakeBum

Reaction score
Everyone so ready to spend your money!

Couple questions. What truck do you have? OBS? SD?

What kind of weight are you towing?

I dont know many people having EGT issues with stock injectors. Is everything running correctly?

38R may be old school but it plain works. Cant argue that....

10K behind me and I pull WA state passes at 70 in 6th gear on my hottest tune. Thats leaving plenty of room to drop a gear if needed. Im usually running right at 1200 EGT holding steady speed.

If your dead set on T4 and wont go larger than 160's. 364.5/74/.91 would work great. 363 might be better for towing, spool up a tad quicker. Havent seen much real world info on this one yet.

I have a SD truck. The kicker is I have larger then stock tires (35s) which gives me lower RPMs for any given speed. I also have a 4 speed auto and cant just pick a gear and run the RPMs like you can with a 6 speed.

You are correct, there is not a lot of info on the 363. There appears to be more info on the 364.5 which for me it comes down to which exhaust wheel. DP Tuner, Carson, Barder all say 68 but there are plenty of threads with guys running a 74. So it begs the question. Which one is best for stock to 160/80s and 35s?

CarportMechanic

Reaction score
I have a SD truck. The kicker is I have larger then stock tires (35s) which gives me lower RPMs for any given speed. I also have a 4 speed auto and cant just pick a gear and run the RPMs like you can with a 6 speed.

You are correct, there is not a lot of info on the 363. There appears to be more info on the 364.5 which for me it comes down to which exhaust wheel. DP Tuner, Carson, Barder all say 68 but there are plenty of threads with guys running a 74. So it begs the question. Which one is best for stock to 160/80s and 35s?

I was curious what transmission you had since you mentioned gears.

Im on 35's as well with 3.73's. 70mph is 2000 RPM for me which seems to work very well. Lot of guys like the 4.10's when towing heavier.

Honestly not sure if ive see anyone on stock sticks with a 364.5. Id love to hear their feedback.

I wish KC Turbos would hurry up. Supposed to have a nice 362 "style" drop in turbo here soon. Have you looked into the KC38R? Lot of people seem happy with it as well. And it works up to 250's.

superpsd

Reaction score
I rather have the larger turbine a tighter housing. There was a thread a while back where someome ran a 369 on a stock injector SD truck. Irate even said the 369 spools as well as a 38R. I would just use the 364.5 many have been happy with that turbo. In my opinion the smaller turbine may spool faster but the larger turbine will be capable of flowing better likely reducing EGTs and backpressure.

Reaction score
Just saying I ran a sd with 200/200s and a 38r on 37s with 3.73 gears and it was great. Didn't have egt issues unless it was in a big tune and obviously you had to be conscious on how you towed which I did all the time with that truck. It was a great combo although I would do 238/100s if I did it again. On a all purpose play truck

Last edited:

The Brad

Reaction score
Just saying I ran a sd with 200/200s and a 38r on 37s with 3.73 gears and it was great. Didn't have egt issues unless it was in a big tune and obviously you had to be conscious on how you towed which I did all the time with that truck. It was a great combo although I would do 238/100s if I did it again. On a all purpose play truck

The whole point of going with the 364.5 is so you don't have to be conscious of EGTs. The sub 2k rpm spooling and flow keeps things cooler and cleaner. The fact that it flows more on top is a bonus too. KC is working on a 364.5 drop in and I'd love to try it out to see how it compares.

bigfords

Reaction score
I'm running the 363 with stock sticks in my Excursion, .91 housing. 3:73 and 34" tires. The turbo works extremely well, and I"m very happy with it. It spools very well, and pulls pretty hard under 2000 RPM.
I think Im going to go with the 364.5 in place of the 38R on my truck with 230/100s. 38R works well, but looking for better sub 2000RPM boost, trying to find the best towing setup...

Swaan

Reaction score
Here's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
Nobody can make a stock replacement work as good as the borgs because they are still working with a old dinasour design of a turbine. Don't matter what they do , better comp wheels blah blah blah ,They still got an old out dated turbine driving it.
If you want better performance , the borgs have a way more efficient turbine over the 38R. Ultimately that is the engine that drives the compressor so to speak. So as long as Garrett still uses that turbine it will always stay the same.
If I'm wrong please enlighten me, far as I know Garrett still has not improved that 38r turbine., correct??

Stock injectors id recommend a 62 sxe .
Stock to 160/80s 64.5
Hybrids 66 up to a 69 depending on what size injectors.

I'm also a big fan of the new 74mm turbine on the sxe lineup.
The 7.3 is a big engine and it needs to breathe.

Last edited:

Reaction score
That's interesteing a drop in? Do you have any of the ins and outs how they're going about that?

Swaan

Reaction score
That's interesteing a drop in? Do you have any of the ins and outs how they're going about that?

It'll be the same thing . A stock replacement with a 364.5 comp wheel I'm assuming. Better but still not as good as the actual borg.

Latest posts

Members online