2004 F350 Shut Off

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Here I am again can't catch a break recently with this thing.

Truck is 04 F350 6.0 with build date before 9/03 and 147k miles on it. Just changed nipple cups, HP oil deals, stand pipes, and HPOP. Drove truck from NY to Georgia with no problems. Pull up to an intersection and just died on me. No codes. ICP pressure was up to 80-90 psi and no start. Unplugged icp and was seeing 1300-1400 psi and no start.

Any ideas? I have a spare icp sensor on hand and a IPR regulator as well.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its a possibility. If the snap ring wasnt fully seated or something like that, or could be a line had a seal fail in it. I would doubt its the pump with that low of miles, could be injectors pissing out the spill ports. Ive been seeing quite a few of those lately, especially on reman injectors. Had 2 different trucks a couple months ago that went thru 2 or 3 injectors each before one would seal up.

sootie

Reaction score
reason you see high icp with the icp sensor unplugged is because the pcm uses default values at with it unplugged. You have a major high pressure oil leak. Could always use ship air to figure it out

bismic

Reaction score
Could be the IPR sticking open or trash on the screen. I would pull the IPR and inspect. An 03 engine has fewer issues with leaks bad enough to cause it to just shut down, not to mention producing only 80-90 psi..

If that isn't it, then I wouldn't rule out a bad pump ..........

Last edited:

webb06

Reaction score
could be injectors pissing out the spill ports. Ive been seeing quite a few of those lately, especially on reman injectors. Had 2 different trucks a couple months ago that went thru 2 or 3 injectors each before one would seal up.

When pressurized with shop air and you can hear a leak coming out around the injectors and it’s not the top seal, is that what you’re talking about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
When pressurized with shop air and you can hear a leak coming out around the injectors and it’s not the top seal, is that what you’re talking about?

Basically. If you look with a mirror, can see oil spraying out of the little holes next to where the hole is for the rail.

Ive really only had issues with reman early build injectors. Late build ones have been fine.

webb06

Reaction score
Basically. If you look with a mirror, can see oil spraying out of the little holes next to where the hole is for the rail.

Right. So are you considering that a high pressure leak that can cause a no hot start? I’ve experienced that for sure and actually have an ambulance with a 6.0 in it at our shop now that I think has that happening.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah, had one strand me on the road test after putting the injector in lol. Pulled it back in the shop, had to pull the valve covers when it was hot as ***, and found the injector i had just installed doing that. Still had enough oil in it, it was making that side look smokey.

bismic

Reaction score
It is not common for an injector leak to leak so bad you can only get 80-90 psi but I will agree it can happen (anything CAN happen, especially if it was mis-installed, which doesn't seem to be the case w/ a drive from NY to Ga as a test drive).

OP - when you do the air test, also listen for a gurgle from the oil filter canister (as well as air leakage sounds from the oil fill tube and ccv hose).

Last edited:

046.ohBills

Reaction score
So I checked on my truck yesterday and when I went to go try it for ****s and giggles it took right off. Built pressure quickly. Along the lines of the hp oil leak I did an air test after installing everything and she was air tight and i drove it around NY for 450 miles then decided she was back to normal so took it back to Georgia. I was on vacation seeing family and being in the air force moving and driving is what I do. I would think from what the one guy said about the possibility of **** clogging up the screen of the IPR as a reason and when it cooled off and got towed it knocked itself free? :shrug:
my only consistent codes right now are P0528, P0603, P0670, U0306.
I had a 2285 and 2291 and I am assuming that was because I unplugged the ICP and tried starting it.

Thanks for all the help and I'm going to continue trying to diagonse this thing.

Btw I installed a dieselsite oil cooler, adrenaline pump, HHC diesel nipple cups, alliant injector HP oil seals and snap rings and a driven diesel regulated return. The air test after all was done held 120psi of air. Again thanks for all the info gentleman. Great talking with y'all.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Forgot to mention I tore into this thing because I was having hot hard start issues and I found the reason to be because a HP oil seal on top of number five injector was leaking badly. Could see air and oil coming out from under the nipple cup when we air tested it before tear down of the HP Oil system on it.

bismic

Reaction score
Check the GPCM and the PCM connections. Makes sure they are in tight and no wire chafing. Personally, I would still pull the IPR and look for screen damage and also closely inspect the wiring.

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Right on I am going to try and do that. I am closing on my wife's and I's first house today and I start training tomorrow so maybe this weekend I'll get a chance to do that. Where are the GPCM and PCM connections?
It's just so wierd for it to do that after 1500 miles

046.ohBills

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Checked those connections and I am picking up a scangauge2 to monitor ficm sync, IPR, and icp pressure. Truck wouldn't start yesterday and tomorrow I'm going to just put in my spare IPR to see if that helps it.

boggerr

Reaction score
Check the IPR plug and wires at the plug. Try moving the wire harness to the IPR around then try staring the truck.