Zf5 slave cylinder question

ghohouston

Reaction score
Finally getting my truck going again. Put the slave cylinder in tonight, and when i pressed the rod in to get it past the fork, it forced fluid out of the slave cylinder itself (from the grommet). This definitely means it needs to be replaced right? I have no experience with hydraulic clutches, only big truck clutch systems. I made sure the master was full, and had someone pump the clutch pedal, hold it to the floor, and opened the bleeder on the slave MANY times, with no fluid ever coming out. I tried bleeding it the exact same way i have always bled brakes.

Reaction score
In my experience (used to have a feet of these plus my own) I never bother with the bleed screw much. With slave installed, push the clutch fork towards the cylinder (rear of the truck). Slowly. Then release slowly. On the way back out it draws fluid into slave cyl. on the way in, it squeezes out any air. Once it feels consistent, the clutch will work. It may help to do a very small bleed of the screw but don't let out a lot. I usually get all my bleeding done by myself.

ghohouston

Reaction score
I will have to give your method a shot. So the fact the slave pushed fluid out from the shaft area doesn't condemn it, or?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
No oil should be coming from slave cylinder. The rod is loose and not fastened to cylinder.

79jasper

Reaction score
I would replace it.
You can get a pre-bled master and slave setup.
Don't have numbers handy but you can also get metal instead of plastic.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ghohouston

Reaction score
Is this one of those parts i need to get from ford, or is aftermarket okay? And do i NEED to replace the master? My cost at ford for a new slave is $117.75

ghohouston

Reaction score
I bought a new napa slave cylinder, non bled. Hooked the old line up to the new slave. Took one of those parts washer guns, not sure on real name, but baiscally an air blower with a suction port and an on off valve. Mine has a barb with a hose on it. I removed the bleeder screw on the new slave, made sure the reservoir was full, and turned the valve on with the suction hose over the bleeder port. Took a few minutes, but was pain free, and easy. Once i got fluid coming out, put the screw back in, and installed the slave. A few pumps of the clutch pedal, and all was good.

Latest posts