Ect acting up?

Csmyj

Reaction score
So my truck back in February when I got gauges I realized my Ect was only around 150-170 tops so I got a mishimoto 200 hi temp Tstat Bc it was in the 30's at the time and I read and heard it help warm up and running. At the end of March I got my truck bullet proofed and while driving it after my ect temps start running from 200-218 with no load or hard driving. I didn't like the looks of that so I went and got a 190 motorcraft Tstat and housing and my temps are still rising up to 208 or so with same driving habits. I did notice though if I turn my heat/defrost on that my truck will run anywhere from 188-196. If I turn heat/defrost off the temps will rise again. What could cause this, Tstat or something else?

Thanks in advance for the help.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That is about right on a stock thermostat. Typiacally see between 197-210 depending on ambient temp, condition of airflow through the rad, etc. The temps will drop while having the heater on, as it basically adds another radiator by using yhe heater core and blowing air across it.

As long as your coolant is full, i would just double check th hat you aint got a bag or a bunch of chit stuck up front blocking air flow. As long as there are no issues, you should be fine.

Csmyj

Reaction score
Ok. In the mornings temps have been lower Bc it's been around 35-45 degrees out and I have the heater on so my ect has been 192-196 once up and running. But in the evenings were now up in the 60-70's and heater is off so my ect have been higher. That worried me seeing 210 or higher so I just wanted to double check. Eot has been 6-12 degrees difference from each other which should be fine correct?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
12 degrees is kinda getting up there. Fords spec is 15. Best way to check to see if a sensor is biase or not is to check ect vs eot beforestartingafter cold soak. They should be damn near the same.

Csmyj

Reaction score
Ok. I'll check it out in the morning and see how it does and post back. I think it's usually a 2 degree difference if I remember correctly?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That sounds close enough. But yes, double check it in the am. Also double check your coolant level and whatnot too.

Csmyj

Reaction score
Will do! Where exactly should the coolant level be, isn't the min suppose to be the max?

Csmyj

Reaction score
So truck sat from 10:30pm last night to 9am this morning. There wasn't any coolant in the degas, which I knew that it had spit some out from when I last filled it up to change Tstat. From what I heard was that it would spit it out till it got to the trucks right level? I did just put more in it to be safe. Since I started the truck the ect and eot were within one degree, but as the truck warmed up it jumped between a 8-10 degree difference with ect being higher. Around ect getting to 130 degrees the temps difference was 6-8 degrees ect still being higher. Then at 160 degrees ect the temp difference was 4-6 degrees difference ect still being higher. By 184 ect it was a 3-4 degree difference ect being higher and egt went from 287 to 293. Once the ect hit 190 degrees the eot was 188 and egt is 296. After about 6 mins both ect and eot are at 190 degrees and egt is 298. 4 mins later eot went to 191 and ect 190, egt 300.4 mins later ect went to 192 and eot still at 192 and egt at 300. 4 mins after that both ect and eot temp are sitting at 192 and egt right around 300 still. 14 mins after that eot is at 193 and ect is still holding at 192 and egt is 302. After 30 more mins the temps still held the same.

Someone on another 6.0 group mentioned it could be the fan clutch being the issue as well, when the shop did my bulletproof and took a test run the radiator split and they limped it a little ways to the shop.

Sorry for the rambling in advanced, just wanted to note and cover as much as possible.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The truck should not be spitting coolant out. But are those numbers typos? Eot at 300? Or egt as you typed? Anything over 220 or so would be worriesome. If you are actually seeing yhat high there is a bigger issue. It may be the eot sensor or wiring. Check and make sure it aint all oil soaked from a leaking cac boot, dirty oil chajges, etc. Check your oil filter standpipe see if its melting. If it is, eot was actually that high and you are gonna *** chit up. If its good, try an eot sensor. However this is going off the assumption that egt was actually eot in what you typed.

Csmyj

Reaction score
It has spit coolant and I've replaced degas cap since bullet proof. The 300 degrees is egt not eot. Where are these sensors and what's the best thing to use to clean them?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ect sensor is in the front cover right by the thermostat. Eot sensor is on the oil cooler to the passenger side of the oil filter housing. It is the sensor with 2 wires.

As far as temp splits, the vehicle needs to be driven under a load to see what the actual difference is . It can idle all day and probably wont see too much of a difference. Did the degas and cap fix your venting issue? If not, you need to figure out why it is still venting, that may be the root of your issue.

When you say the motor was "bulletproofe" what all was done? Factory oil cooler? Egr removal or bullet proof cooler? Studs? What gaskets did they use if it got studded?

Csmyj

Reaction score
It had arp studs oem gaskets, oem cooler, coolant filter, full egr ******, blue spring kit.

Temps under a load stay very close, usually around 2-6 degrees depending on how I'm driving. When I fill the coolant to just below minimum line it does fine for normal driving but if I get on it then it will spit coolant out to where you can barely see it at the bottom of the degas. It usually stops spitting after that unless I put more coolant in. I'll check sensors tomorrow.

May just take it back to the shop that did the work Bc I wasn't having a overheating issue until after that.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Did they check and/or have the heads machined? You could have a warped head or something like that causing the venting.

Csmyj

Reaction score
Would fan duty cycle on my edge tell me if my fan clutch is engaging? If so its at 0% and my ect is 196 and eot is 198, egt 406 at a stop and its 60 degrees out and heat off. Fan duty cycle has left 0% the whole time while even driving?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The fan only comes on when it needs to. To test it, you need.to command it on, and see if it comes son. Egt has nothing to do with fan command. Typically tye fan will come on around 220 dgerees or so oil temp, i cant rememnber what coolant temp.

Csmyj

Reaction score
So basically I need to get my temps up safely watching then see if my fan cycle does anything.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you have a scanner, try commanding it on. If not, drive down the road foot to the floor in third gear, while watching your temps, and make sure the fan comes on.

Csmyj

Reaction score
I piddle and tried some things and finally replaced the fan clutch, since I need to replace it I went ahead a got the adapter and installed a 97 7.3 mechanical fan clutch. Mainly Bc I hail a heavier but and my jeep and in Ky we have a lot of hills and they say it helps keep temps down a lot. Since installing ect are 188-194 and eot is 190-196 so far besides the time i stomped on it to see what happened? They went up higher but dropped immediately.

So far pretty I'm happy with it!

Latest posts

Members online