Trans temps w/ pi converter?

slc6oh

Reaction score
yeah, that's kinda where I'm at, bout to take trans temp off the insite and quit stressin. lol.

but it dosent much at all, I mean you can tell its in gear, but not bad.

when I first put the used converter and used trans in before having it rebuilt, (yea I pulled and installed the trans 3 times in like 3 weeks) id put it in drive and it would die, local shop that rebuilt the converter actually has the clutches and steels hanging on their wall as they had never seen any that coned. haha

mandkole

Reaction score
Interesting on the converter clutch observation that your guy made. My trans guy's converter guy wouldnt waste his time on the PI converter. He said it wasn't even a triple disk (more like 2 or 2.5) and had some strange dodge stator components in it like an ats. Threw it all in the trash and its never worked better.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Yea i mean worst case i put a stocker back in and be done with it. I guess we'll see what happens come tow season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Looks Like I'll be following along here. I've got temps as high as 240 when the TC is unlocked. Once locked temps go back down to about 175. One freeway onramp will jump temps to 200 easily. Loaded trailer weight is about 20k lbs.

I was towing with IDP tow tune. Switched to ******** unlimited tow and temps seem better, but 210+ is still easy to hit.

One thing I did do with my trans (Warren Stock Plus) though is pull the toilet paper filter. I have a replacement that I will install tomorrow, but not sure when I'll make another trip as I just blew the intercooler yesterday and had to cancel the trip as a result.

slc6oh

Reaction score
Looks Like I'll be following along here. I've got temps as high as 240 when the TC is unlocked. Once locked temps go back down to about 175. One freeway onramp will jump temps to 200 easily. Loaded trailer weight is about 20k lbs.

I was towing with IDP tow tune. Switched to ******** unlimited tow and temps seem better, but 210+ is still easy to hit.

One thing I did do with my trans (Warren Stock Plus) though is pull the toilet paper filter. I have a replacement that I will install tomorrow, but not sure when I'll make another trip as I just blew the intercooler yesterday and had to cancel the trip as a result.

Gotta keep that tp filter man. Will bypass the cooler otherwise.

scparrish

Reaction score
My temps behave the same way with my bts trans and pi converter. Mine hasn't gone over 220 though. When it's locked in od it's always between 165-170.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Well I just yanked the trans. It's going to Warren for inspection. Converter is going to PI for warranty once Andy gets the trans.

TP roll has been back in, but tranny still runs about 200 if I'm on the streets with a trailer. TC locks and temps drop back down. Buddy has a Twisted 5R trans with DPC converter and no issues.

I'd really hate to think I should've gotten a different converter. I'm in that same boat now with a mishimoto radiator that can't keep up! Smh

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Trans came back and Andy said the valve body had junk in it. Andy sent the converter to PI who said the stator was shot. Tranny was rebuilt and sent back to me. I'm seeing 170-175 cruising down the fwy empty. Hooked the toyhauler up this past weekend for a camping trip and temps spiked at 216 with TC unlocked. Ambient temps were 103. New mishimoto radiator was installed (bigger trans cooler ports on this unit), but it looks like it didn't matter. I don't know anymore. Honestly I was more concerned with my engine this go around. It hit 240/248 (ECT/EOT).

Gonna load up the toyhauler and have my buddy pull it. We have very similar builds except he went Twisted tranny and DPC converter. Also has 175/30 injectors. If anything he should be building more heat than me.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Trans came back and Andy said the valve body had junk in it. Andy sent the converter to PI who said the stator was shot. Tranny was rebuilt and sent back to me. I'm seeing 170-175 cruising down the fwy empty. Hooked the toyhauler up this past weekend for a camping trip and temps spiked at 216 with TC unlocked. Ambient temps were 103. New mishimoto radiator was installed (bigger trans cooler ports on this unit), but it looks like it didn't matter. I don't know anymore. Honestly I was more concerned with my engine this go around. It hit 240/248 (ECT/EOT).

Gonna load up the toyhauler and have my buddy pull it. We have very similar builds except he went Twisted tranny and DPC converter. Also has 175/30 injectors. If anything he should be building more heat than me.

Didnt see if you put a new trans cooler in when you did the trans? Also, is your fan wrking? Nothing stupid up front like light bars, aftermarket grille, cardboard, leaves, dead bodies, etc blocking air flow?

sootie

Reaction score
if your oil hit 248, you'd better pull the filter and check the standpipe. It will be melted.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
Didnt see if you put a new trans cooler in when you did the trans? Also, is your fan wrking? Nothing stupid up front like light bars, aftermarket grille, cardboard, leaves, dead bodies, etc blocking air flow?

Trans cooler was not replaced. Fluid looked fine each time trans was removed and TP filter was clean. Fan roars when temps start climbing, but has no effect on temps. Small light bar added where fog lights used to be, but issue was present far before light bar added. Dead body was removed... Lol.

Truck is going to a shop for an oil cooler and while there will at least get diagnosis for fan circuit to see if it's behaving normally.

if your oil hit 248, you'd better pull the filter and check the standpipe. It will be melted.

I checked it and the standpipe is completely intact.

slc6oh

Reaction score
So ill touch back on this- i sold tbe truck a couple months back, i did talk to red diamond diesel and he said that the 08’ (6.4) 5r had a higher temp tstat? So maybe like the rest of my life i was worried for nothing. Lol.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
So ill touch back on this- i sold tbe truck a couple months back, i did talk to red diamond diesel and he said that the 08’ (6.4) 5r had a higher temp tstat? So maybe like the rest of my life i was worried for nothing. Lol.

In my case I believe it was still a 6l trans, but with a 6.4l pan and filter. Who knows at this point. I'm damn near ready to give up. I love the truck, but the one time I can't really afford to have problems seems to be the only time I have them.

Reaction score
Nothing in the transmission will melt at 248°F.

Mark, glad to see you jump in here. Quick question. the OP is complaining about the trans getting hot with the converter unlocked. we know it is an aftermarket converter. However, I don't know whether it is stock stall.

Lets assume, arguendo, that it is stock or slightly lower stall. Wouldn't a lower stall generate more heat when unlocked because you are increasing load on the working fluid?

Reaction score
In my case I believe it was still a 6l trans, but with a 6.4l pan and filter. Who knows at this point. I'm damn near ready to give up. I love the truck, but the one time I can't really afford to have problems seems to be the only time I have them.

My post below is not a solution to your problem, but worth investigating.

About a year ago, right after a fresh overhaul, I also thought I was having high temp issues. Before going any further, I decided to put a secondary temp sensor on the trans pan. What I discovered, I would have never imagined.

The sensor i used was a one-wire, which gets ground from component it is attached to. this is unlike the factory sensor which is a two-wire, and its ground is supplied through a wire.

When I put the temp sensor on, I could not get a reading. The trans had no ground. It was basically an "island" from the entire grounding system of the truck.

The solution was to apply a couple grounds between, frame, body, and trans. Although this is not a direct solution to your problem, you never know what kind of gremlins are laying around when you have ground issues.

sorry for the long post.

1fastTRX

Reaction score
My post below is not a solution to your problem, but worth investigating.

About a year ago, right after a fresh overhaul, I also thought I was having high temp issues. Before going any further, I decided to put a secondary temp sensor on the trans pan. What I discovered, I would have never imagined.

The sensor i used was a one-wire, which gets ground from component it is attached to. this is unlike the factory sensor which is a two-wire, and its ground is supplied through a wire.

When I put the temp sensor on, I could not get a reading. The trans had no ground. It was basically an "island" from the entire grounding system of the truck.

The solution was to apply a couple grounds between, frame, body, and trans. Although this is not a direct solution to your problem, you never know what kind of gremlins are laying around when you have ground issues.

sorry for the long post.
Interesting. I do have a secondary trans temp sensor connected (2 wire I believe). It happens to fall right inline with the factory gauge though.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Lets assume, arguendo, that it is stock or slightly lower stall. Wouldn't a lower stall generate more heat when unlocked because you are increasing load on the working fluid?
No, it actually works the opposite of that. A higher stall has more slip, and that works the fluid harder and creates more heat.

MARK,is the thermostate in the 6.4 trans higher than that in a 6.0 or both set at 165?
Not that I recall, but I left the 5R110W program for other things at the swap from 6.0L to 6.4L.

Latest posts

Members online