Mahle Lifter Failure?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
My black truck just started skipping and popping out the intake yesterday so I hooked up my IDS and did a power balance, cylinder 1 was in and out. The rocker, pushrod, springs and bridges look good on that cylinder, i even took the exhaust side rocker to get a good look at it. I am suspecting a collapsing lifter but before i can im going to change the injector tomorrow but ive never seen an injector cause a pop out the intake. When I built the engine I used mahle lifters

sootie

Reaction score
Happened on one of my six fours in less than 10k miles after rebuild.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
This is scary... I read on facebook where Rob with Ashville engines mentioned that Johnson lifters were also have crazy failure rates.

Strokersace

Reaction score
Interesting.

I have Mahle lifters in the motor I built last summer. 20k hard miles and hasn't missed a beat. Bought from Midwest.

Asked them when ordering, "if you were building a motor for yourself, which lifters would you go with?" They said Mahle, so that's what I bought.

Have another set that I bought back in July for another motor I'm building. Not installed yet as block is still at machine shop. Never second guessed my decision until this thread.

What's the true failure rate on these? Has quality went down over the years? To the OP, when did you build your motor and how many miles on it? Any chance that the older sets had issues that the new ones don't?

Reaction score
This is scary... I read on facebook where Rob with Ashville engines mentioned that Johnson lifters were also have crazy failure rates.

When you do not take the time to clean out lifter galley long with other places of the engine then guess what happens..........

Sad part is that half the ppl putting anything together now days is trying to do it CHEAP ... The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Interesting.

I have Mahle lifters in the motor I built last summer. 20k hard miles and hasn't missed a beat. Bought from Midwest.

Asked them when ordering, "if you were building a motor for yourself, which lifters would you go with?" They said Mahle, so that's what I bought.

Have another set that I bought back in July for another motor I'm building. Not installed yet as block is still at machine shop. Never second guessed my decision until this thread.

What's the true failure rate on these? Has quality went down over the years? To the OP, when did you build your motor and how many miles on it? Any chance that the older sets had issues that the new ones don't?

I finished the truck mid november last year, it has 48k on the build since then. I heard mahle is the supplier for fords lifters. I guess its just bad luck. Im pulling the head off this weekend, hoping there was no piston to valve contact, especially since i bought valve springs from RCD to go with the cam.

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
So I got around to pulling the head off to see what's going on. #1 cyl exhaust lifter came right out of the block, the lifter for the intake wouldn't come out. After poking around with a boroscope I find the pin that holds the roller on has backed out stopping the lifter from coming out. My father and I tried for a while to push the pin back in but we had to call it quits for the night. The exhaust lifters pin is also loose and moves left and right.

Attachments

• 20170922_181625.jpg
    20170922_181625.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 128

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Word is that my booger truck I built lost a lifter after about 15k miles. It had the fancy dancy lifters that are being advertised as heavy duty with top circlip and extra oiling capacity.

Who makes the Ford ones?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Well that's all I use in the shop and haven't had an issue.. when did you buy these

co04cobra

Reaction score
Has anyone had a issue with Oem? Actually purchased through ford and not "bought from fords supplier"?

If so, time frame of purchase and failure?

Op, did you have a lifter failure before you put your current ones in now?

SICKS LITER

Reaction score
Has anyone had a issue with Oem? Actually purchased through ford and not "bought from fords supplier"?

If so, time frame of purchase and failure?

Op, did you have a lifter failure before you put your current ones in now?

I bought this set 8 18 16. No lifter failure prior motor was rebuilt at 261k.

Latest posts

Members online