Just posting info for average guy to see

brownbros-ben

Reaction score
Ok its been a while since I posted, I was going to do with my truck. This post will be alittle long but I have never had a built truck and wasn't sure on what to do:
truck info:
2006 f250 6.0
rebuilt motor list:
heads redone- and ringed , arp studded., new oil cooler, egr delete, bd diesel inner cooler boots, ccv kit, coolant filter kit, all ford gaskets, up date stc fitting, afe innercooler piping, k/n cold air, 4" turbo back exhaust,
bd diesel manifold.

During the build I put Warren diesel 190/75 with upgraded solenoids,
Mad Turbo Werks 66mm mad max vgt turbo. Driven Diesel reg return fuel kit.

Running Innovative Diesel tunes - mainly x-street for daily driving like I did before.

The truck has been back on the road for couple days now, not 100% happy yet! First start up # 2 cylinder Contribution/balance came up twice , today #2 and #6 came up. Are wires and fuel system have been checked over twice.
The truck idles choppy!!!! and hazes bad!! way to much for the street. On hwy running 60-75 mph I find the turbo to be laggy , and truck runs 2-4 psi, 725-1000* egt but hit 10 psi and hold on!!!! egt will hold 950* and pull!

I have talked to Ted this morning and emailed to get my street tune tweaked fuel pulled at idle, and hwy adjustment. hope this fixes the problem.

But I do have to say: eases in to the throttle and hold on!!!! power house, (hoping the tranny hold for a year or two) .I like clean running truck,unless at the truck pull. I find it is too smoky for the street for me but some guys like it.

The Mad Turbo Mad Max is loud! nice turbo sound no more vacuum sound, I find it a bit laggy for a vgt but it pulls hard 18-35psi . I have only stood on it twice to as just put back together.

I will be putting the ficm tuner on it if I get the idle chop and haze gone.
Then I will be putting the truck on the dyno on may 10th, so I will update this post .

Post any info you might have to help, or other things to I should do.
also truck has fass lift pump filters, sump kit feeding stock pump hold 62 psi idle or wide open.

mcdaniel1991

Reaction score
Are you still getting contribution codes? Could be bent push rods...

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Cold Roller

Reaction score
Puling fuel may help, but the VGT needs a greater duty cycle earlier. Your driving style and tune will need to change so you can easily get to higher RPM via loosening the torque converter or have the shift points at higher RPM. If you are locked and at low RPM, there isn't much you can do but smoke until the turbo gets moving.

Jwarren

Reaction score
Those upgraded solenoids need special tuning or you will get a choppy idle. Pm sent

brownbros-ben

Reaction score
Thanks Jesse ! I didn't expect you to get back to me so quick! Great customer support! I am giving truck a few days in case air locks , I have a little choppy idle but not bad now. I have not changed tunes since I started and I have lost 97% of the haze , only happens little now off and on.
The choppy idle , my buddy says his truck is the same ever since he put bigger injectors too. ( I am new to big sticks)

So far I think the power gain is nuts! A little hot but nuts . Way more then I was expecting !
Thanks for the replays , I will keep posting to say how the truck is - I know before I did my truck I searched the net for build but never found week by week or month by month update to see if trucks guys are building work !

At this time the only thing I wonder is : if I should have went with warrens 175/75 instead of 190/75 injectors to get about the same power gain and have it run cooler and no smoke at all...

swinky

Reaction score
Doesn't really make a difference, you can have fuel pulled either way. If you want to run those 190s to full fuel you might want to look into a different turbo.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

strokin6L

Reaction score
Just curious... but what needs to get changed with the tuning to compensate for the different coils? Fueling down low?

Irontx

Reaction score
Just curious... but what needs to get changed with the tuning to compensate for the different coils? Fueling down low?

Would like to know as well..... just got mine back last week.... cyl#2 contribution every now and again at idle...... not so much now as when I first put em back in.....

04 f350

Reaction score
Might wanna try drew at back road performance, I know he runs those new injectors in his personal truck and he's got the tuning just right for them.

Demon6.0

Reaction score
We've got practically the same exact setup including turbo and injectors. Idle is lopey and this new Madmax outflows the stage 3. And like you said, a little lag on the bottom but when she lights hang on!

Sent from the drivers seat of my Lariat using Tapatalk

Demon6.0

Reaction score
Btw I'm using Matt at gearhead for tunes, extremely happy!

brownbros-ben

Reaction score
ok time to update:

since last time , Innovative diesel (eric) has adjusted my extreme street tune to make it or me happy lol.

by looking at my edge insight looks like fuel pulled back at idle and hpop psi raised a little, this set up made my truck idle like it has stock injectors!!!(very happy)
I was heading to the dyno this weekend, so I put my Innovative ficm tuner on it (for the first time) it made the truck lope almost a miss felling(performance tune 25hp no injector warm up ) but still no haze at all.

My xtreme x tune would not work right on the truck , the truck wouldn't start on that tune so I switched it to my xtreme race tune, this tune I find shifts and runs the street driving way better the xtreme street. I ended up dynoing on this tune .
The truck laid down 596hp and 999 torque, but my fuel system set up would not keep up. At wot the pressure dropped to 30 psi ,
I currently have a xdp sump , fass 95 gph with filters, to stock pump then to reg return kit. I am now looking at putting in sump to areomotive 1000 to fass filter kit (no pump)to reg return kit.

As a side not since I seen a few comments about the turbo, I am very happy with it! I am not sure how to post videos but the turbo cleans my fueling up to a heavy haze at wide open on dyno, truck pull and street. a little smoky in over drive on rd but not bad, My buddy has a 04 dirtymax stock injectors and turbo with ppe tuning and he smokes more then I do at wot.

brownbros-ben

Reaction score
update

truck is running nice, I think a little to warm tho..
hwy driving I am running 900-1100* some hills will hit 1200.

I tried towing light on the weekend, about 3000 lbs, on tow tune, I didn't like it!!!!! truck ran 1000 constant, 1100 sometime and 1250 on hills, not sure if anyone else thinks this is hot but I do....
this summer I need to figure out how to run cooler for the three couple hour tows I do pulling 6000lbs.

not sure but think I need my shifts rasied if I am running at 80-90 kph in tow mode I can stay in 4th and hold mainly 1000* but if I hit 90-100kph shifts into 5th and lugs and heats up

???

also on a side note, my cyl #1 keeps getting po codes inbalance, and high current ... think may have to change injectors (ones in are only three weeks old)

Demon6.0

Reaction score
Your temps are same as mine. I'm hoping a new intercooler will help, I can't keep the boot from flying off the turbo anyways. Laptop showed 40psi before she let go for the 7th time. I think there is more boost available so I've ordered a Banks Technicooler.

Jwarren

Reaction score
since last time , Innovative diesel (eric) has adjusted my extreme street tune to make it or me happy lol.

by looking at my edge insight looks like fuel pulled back at idle and hpop psi raised a little, this set up made my truck idle like it has stock injectors!!!(very happy)

Nice Eric is a good tuner. Btw if you check icp volts you will find icp pressure is actually not raised ;) it's just good tuning to get large injectors to idle like stock injectors.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Jesse is right! Had some work done down at his place and had him tune it while it was there. My truck has never ran this good!

Demon6.0

Reaction score
Looks we are going back in for head gaskets. Not sure how this set let loose but oh well. Will be doing the trans at the same time. Anything else I should look at while it's apart? Is there much to gain from an intake? Already taken care of dummy plugs and stand pipes. Upgraded stc fittings. Would like this to be the last time the cab comes off. Thanks for your input.

brownbros-ben

Reaction score
have you seen the new high pressure oil pumps, think they are rcd s , but eric was testing them, I wish I had of put one in mine while it was apart, ... my buddy is putting one in his with 225 sticks can wait to see it work.

let me know if the banks intercooler kit lowers egt temps, I currently have afe tubes, with stock intercooler, with bd diesel boots, and they have not blown off yet . (I have ccv just dumping on the ground tho, not back into intake)

Mdub707

Reaction score
A ported intake manifold will help spool up and keep your EGT's down.

You may want to talk to your tuner about your ECM and FICM tuning combined, the consensus was that a canned FICM tune did nothing but add extra smoke and heat on an already tuned truck with larger than stock injectors. You need to get both a custom FICM tune and a custom ECM tune to match if you want to continue to run that FICM program on top of your ECM programming. Just a heads up.

You can also get your tunes set up so that when you're in tow/haul it locks overdrive out so you don't run into that issue with it shifting into overdrive with the converter locked and falling under the turbo and creating heat. You'll want that for your tow.

strokin6L

Reaction score
I think it was the big FICM tunes that added the heat and smoke. Because the ficm tunes I've ran from ID....they didn't add any more smoke or increase the egts. Actually there was less smoke with ID's ficm tuning combined with ID's ECM tuning. And I've been running Eric's ficm tuning since 2008...no custom ficm tuning back then.