Best EGR ****** for 2006 6.0

Jshields

Reaction score
I've looked with the search and found some old stuff but I'm still clueless. I've been looking at all the EGR ******s and want to find out what's worked the best for everyone. I'm new to Diesels so I'm still learning so bare with me.

03_PSD

Reaction score
I like the welded egr which leaves the egr in place but not functional, but I have to pass a visual inspection here.

Jshields

Reaction score
I've seen people do tha. I don't have to worry about visual or any kind if inspection. I've looked at the Sinister, Rudys and IPR ******s.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
I like the welded egr which leaves the egr in place but not functional, but I have to pass a visual inspection here.

Exactly and it makes resale so much easier. AND if you travel through a region that does road side emissions inspections that is one less hassle to deal w/.

I prefer to be on the DL :lookaround:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Exactly and it makes resale so much easier. AND if you travel through a region that does road side emissions inspections that is one less hassle to deal w/.

I prefer to be on the DL :lookaround:

Would you just weld the stocker or go the route of "upgraded" to not worry about cracking from the heat cycles it's seen thus far.

On edit: I'm thinking this is a dumb comment... you reroute the coolant as well correct?

Last edited:

Towerguy

Reaction score
Negative, with a welded cooler you are just blocking the flow of exhaust through the cooler. Water flow is unchanged. That's actually a point in favor of welding the cooler since you maintain OEM fitment. Sone people have trouble with leaks on aftermarket kits that sometimes don't fit as well as stock parts. Also, it looks like you have a 2006 so you have a scoop in the up-pipe that hinders exhaust flow. You will want to cut that out or get a pipe with it already removed to remove a giant flow restriction along with helping spool the turbo.

Jshields

Reaction score
Negative, with a welded cooler you are just blocking the flow of exhaust through the cooler. Water flow is unchanged. That's actually a point in favor of welding the cooler since you maintain OEM fitment. Sone people have trouble with leaks on aftermarket kits that sometimes don't fit as well as stock parts. Also, it looks like you have a 2006 so you have a scoop in the up-pipe that hinders exhaust flow. You will want to cut that out or get a pipe with it already removed to remove a giant flow restriction along with helping spool the turbo.

Does anyone have a picture of this scoop. I'm not sure what your referring to

Jshields

Reaction score
So if I weld freeze plugs in both ends of the EGR, remove the scoop in the up pipe do I need to put a block off plate in the up pipe too

03_PSD

Reaction score
Nope, just hook everything back up. You'll need a custom tune to turn off your CEL you will get from the deeelete though.

Jshields

Reaction score
Thanks. I'm still back and forth on whether I want to tackle this on my own or not. I'll be replacing the oil cooler filter, doing a inline prefilter,blue spring kit, updated turbo feed tube and drain tube and I'm back and forth on head studs

03_PSD

Reaction score
I've done all that before besides studs, it's not bad and took me one weekend going slow. I'd do a real good flush with your old oil cooler in place before you do anything. There's a real good oil cooler R&R write-up I'll try to find. I never had 6.0 experience, but I also don't fear turning wrenches.

Jshields

Reaction score
I've done all that before besides studs, it's not bad and took me one weekend going slow. I'd do a real good flush with your old oil cooler in place before you do anything. There's a real good oil cooler R&R write-up I'll try to find. I never had 6.0 experience, but I also don't fear turning wrenches.
Thanks

junglejoe

Reaction score
Its best to weld it shut.. Then the exhaust can still bolt up to it and have support. USE STAINLESS. WHEN WELDINGIT SHUT

superduty4x4

Reaction score

New to the 6.0 so bare with me... with a welded cooler there should be no issues with the CEL being set should there? Does the 05 also have this scoop you are talking about? New truck is an 05 F350 and is bone stock at the moment.

sootie

Reaction score
New to the 6.0 so bare with me... with a welded cooler there should be no issues with the CEL being set should there? Does the 05 also have this scoop you are talking about? New truck is an 05 F350 and is bone stock at the moment.

Yes you will get a CEL. the code is EGR flow insufficient