Has anyone used aftermarket steering on these trucks to get rid of the tie rod roll??

chaselee

Reaction score
I thought my steering box was worn out, so I just replaced it with a redhead. It does steer quite a bit easier but it did not help with the steering wonder going down the highway. After really looking into it. I have pretty bad tie rod roll, which I'm guessing has a bunch to do with it. Tie rods and all front end components are good and fairly new. Just has quite a bit of the infamous tie rod roll. My question is, has anyone done maybe a heim joint setup on these lifted trucks to make them drive straight down the highway. Any input is welcome.

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I did my own heim steering on my OBS when I SAS'd it. It works well, but if not setup correctly, could be just as bad as stock.

JCart

Reaction score
Chaselee,
What I am trying with mine currently is I made a custom washer out of thicker UHMW (think it is 9mm thick). Latest passenger side tie rod end didn’t come with a grease boot but a soft rubber washer and a steel washer. So I replaced the rubber washer (as it was pooched) with the UHMW one and stacked the steel washer between knuckle and UHMW washer. Has tightened up the steering and I may put one in drivers side once I get more miles on it just to see. An other option is to “clock” both tie rod ends to take out most of the rotation. Did this on one of my trucks a few years ago and it work well, I did leave a small amount of rotation play so as not to bind in rough terrain at full lock.
j

chaselee

Reaction score
Chaselee,
What I am trying with mine currently is I made a custom washer out of thicker UHMW (think it is 9mm thick). Latest passenger side tie rod end didn’t come with a grease boot but a soft rubber washer and a steel washer. So I replaced the rubber washer (as it was pooched) with the UHMW one and stacked the steel washer between knuckle and UHMW washer. Has tightened up the steering and I may put one in drivers side once I get more miles on it just to see. An other option is to “clock” both tie rod ends to take out most of the rotation. Did this on one of my trucks a few years ago and it work well, I did leave a small amount of rotation play so as not to bind in rough terrain at full lock.
j

Yeah I already tried clicking the tie rods to no avail.

JCart

Reaction score
Chaselee,
How much caster you runnin? Do a search here as some guys are using tapered wedges and getting 5-6 degrees caster which helps with steering wander iirc. I’m running very similar to what you have on my Tan truck only ECLB and it’s very nice, don’t know what caster is at though.
j

chaselee

Reaction score
Never given caster a thought to be honest. So you don't think my wandering has anything to do with the tie rod roll slop?

JCart

Reaction score
Never given caster a thought to be honest. So you don't think my wandering has anything to do with the tie rod roll slop?

Not sure, process of elimination though right. On my trucks clocking the tie rods helped lots, the latest UHMW disc between passenger tie rod post and steering knuckle tightened mine up on Tan truck such that I never (least not yet) had to clock the T rod ends.

Where I live due to heavy transport truck traffic on highways the road surface get longitudinal ridges in them and with wide tires and lots of side walls can lead to a wandering truck. So you’re constantly correcting the trajectory, now add that with not to spec U bolt torque on the front end OR rear end, non torque spec trac bar or mounting bolts, not enough caster, loose wheel bearings, bad tire or low tire pressure, tons of variables that can contribute to ****ty steering.

I will say the 37” Toyo R/Ts have been superior tires for sure, balanced well never a shake and so smooth, I will buy again for sure.

Just remembered I also install a Borgeson mid steering shaft, replaces the stock piece of keerap, between steering box and steering column.... there can be huge play there. If so short term fix is (while waiting for Borgeson) is tighten up the slide section of mid steering by using a chisel or air hammer and reshaping the groove to take out the rotary slop.
Cheers,
j

Reaction score
I strongly agree with the washer set up to cut down tie rod roll. One must be careful not to make it too rigid since the angle between the tie rod and the knuckle changes from lock to lock. It has to be a compromise between stopping the roll and being so tight it pops the tie rod off with catastrophic results. My first attempt using a piece of poly from a random left over Energy bushing ended up with the poly washer pooching out. Results were good for a few days. So then I machined a pair of cup washers to nearly enclose the poly in steel. This has been working great on 2 trucks for a few years.

JCart

Reaction score
I strongly agree with the washer set up to cut down tie rod roll. One must be careful not to make it too rigid since the angle between the tie rod and the knuckle changes from lock to lock. It has to be a compromise between stopping the roll and being so tight it pops the tie rod off with catastrophic results. My first attempt using a piece of poly from a random left over Energy bushing ended up with the poly washer pooching out. Results were good for a few days. So then I machined a pair of cup washers to nearly enclose the poly in steel. This has been working great on 2 trucks for a few years.

Oooohhww NICE G Mechanic! Cups sounds like an excellent idea in UHMW! Will speak with a buddy of mine who has a lathe. I may have lucked out somewhat as the UHMW and steel washer was same thickness as the stock rubber washer... so will see how it wears. Cup would be much better at keeping grease in and water and keerap out though I’m thinking, great idea!
j

chaselee

Reaction score
I'm honestly thinking about buying a couple of the ruff stuff "cures" and seeing what I can make work. Cause I don't have any lathe or extra anything laying around to try.

JCart

Reaction score
I'm honestly thinking about buying a couple of the ruff stuff "cures" and seeing what I can make work. Cause I don't have any lathe or extra anything laying around to try.

Good one Chaselee, I’d definitely give that a whirl, didn’t even know there was such a thing. That’s what I’d be wanting to make and might even order some too. Thanks for sharing.
j

chaselee

Reaction score
I called them and they told me that they would not work with the for draglink due to the taper being too long, but I think I'm going to buy a couple to play with.

JCart

Reaction score
I’m thinking the notion is to limit rotation (not eliminate as you need a little play cycling from lock to lock) of the tie rod ends where they attach to the steering knuckle. Not sure you would need any on the drag link ends. Do you have a Borgeson mid steering shaft installed?
j

JCart

Reaction score
No sir. I've done anything to the steering shaft

Ok find the slip joint on the mid steering shaft, should be under/near the brake booster, might have a plastic cover on it. Keys out of the ignition switch twists the shafts in opposing directions (at the slip joint) and you will find significant play. Borgeson eliminates play at slip and rag joint, (just up from the box), worth the cost for sure. If you’re not happy with Borgeson swap lemme know and I’ll buy it from you.
j

Kowboy

Reaction score

Garbage Mechanic
I also have machined a piece of poly from a unused bushing. I would like to know how much of the bushing did you cover, and how tight did you make the cup over the bushing. The bushing did help. My front end components only have about 15,000 on them.
Thank You

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.