Cab off repair and lift installed on my 6.4

needen$77

Reaction score
I got this 97 7.3 i put diesel in.. how long before i should worry. Jk i like seeing these, i never dealt with these monsters

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

FourEyed

Reaction score
Well I put 150 miles on it, ran excellent.

Today when driving out of nowhere it started shaking under load and white smoke.
It's definitely down a cylinder.. No idea where to start but looks like it needs to come apart again...

W.T.F

webb06

Reaction score
Well I put 150 miles on it, ran excellent.

Today when driving out of nowhere it started shaking under load and white smoke.
It's definitely down a cylinder.. No idea where to start but looks like it needs to come apart again...

W.T.F

Sounds like an injector

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FourEyed

Reaction score
so...

Dug into it. Looks like an intake valve on #7 broke off right at the keeper. Luckily the valve didn't drop into the motor. From what we can tell there is nothing jumping out at us that would cause this. The heads were done, and all new valves installed. It's like a clean break. Possibly a faulty valve?

Has anyone seen a failure like this before?

No marks on the piston for anyone saying p/v clearance.

sootie

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me, about the same amount of time after a rebuild. Except in my case, the valve dropped and took my motor out.

There was piston contact in my case though.

White_monster

Reaction score
I had the exact same thing happen to me, about the same amount of time after a rebuild. Except in my case, the valve dropped and took my motor out.

There was piston contact in my case though.

There are many things that can cause this. I doubt faulty valve is the issue. Post pics of the piston. Did you install stiffer valve springs? Reuse the retainers?

FourEyed

Reaction score
Not sure if that was directed to me or sootie, but I have stiffer springs, and upgraded pushrods. it tossed the rocker off the pedestal too in my case.

Not sure on the retainers, I will ask the machine shop. They assembled the shortblock and I was told they put all new valves in the heads.

I'm baffled as to what caused this, out of patience with the truck, and it's financially killed me. Is there anything at all I should check or replace to prevent this??

No one i've talked to has seen anything like this.

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
Not sure if that was directed to me or sootie, but I have stiffer springs, and upgraded pushrods. it tossed the rocker off the pedestal too in my case.

Not sure on the retainers, I will ask the machine shop. They assembled the shortblock and I was told they put all new valves in the heads.

I'm baffled as to what caused this, out of patience with the truck, and it's financially killed me. Is there anything at all I should check or replace to prevent this??

No one i've talked to has seen anything like this.

I've seen this many times. Usually a result of piston to valve contact. Also seen it from the retainers not being seated quite right. If a rocker breaks it will bend and break the valve stem sometimes. Pm me and we can discuss further.

FourEyed

Reaction score
Since it's at an actual shop now I will be pulling the cab tomorrow.. Once the heads are off I will thoroughly inspect all the pistons. Hopefully no marks on any of them, but we will see.

Latest posts

Members online