OBS Problem

Petro

Reaction score
Alright guys my buddy just bought a 97 obs ext cab shrt box 5 speed with 135,000 miles on it. It has 175/30 swamps injectors, adenaline hpop, beans Dominator 66 turbo and a CPT fuel system. Well we went to look at it last nite, It ran fine and had PLENTY of power, just kinda smokey because there isnt a chip on it. Well on the drive home it started to miss and cut out in third, fourth and fifth gear, it wont do it in first or second. It seems to miss and just lose power and if you continue pushing the pedal it just pours smoke and just keeps losing power. If you let out of it for a second and then get back on it it runs fine with plenty of power for another couple of seconds then again seems to start cutting out and pouring smoke. Down Shifting from 5th to 4th makes no difference. The fuel pressure gage never drops below 55 psi, its at 60 at cruising and when hammered on it drops maybe to 55 at the lowest. When we got it home we noticed the pump under the truck was leaking and discoved the O ring on one of the filters is out, Could this be part of the problem? even though the fuel pressure gauge is constantly above 55 psi? Or could the map sensor be defueling because of overboost?( has a blow off valve so i dont think that could be it either) Just thought i would see what you guys thought before we start working on it this weekend, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Dillon

Tom S

Reaction score
Is it possible that the leak is not only a way out when it is sitting or could it be a way for air to be getting sucked in when running? I would address that first as it has to be fixed anyways.

Petro

Reaction score
we were thinking the exact same thing, but would that make it just roll smoke if it had air in the system?

Tom S

Reaction score
I read over your smoke part but was thinking about the miss when you posted. I would still start there and see how that works out. If that does not pan out then I would find a buddy with a scan tool and start watching some values for clues.

Petro

Reaction score
Replaced the oring and it seems to be running much better, I just dont understand how could air in the system make it just lose power and pour smoke?

Latest posts

Members online