Frequent regens

pg_rider

Reaction score
Hey all, hoping I can get some tips for my issue. I have a 2010 with 100,000 miles that I only use to pull my 16,000lb fifth wheel here in the mountains of Colorado (i.e. my truck really works). Things were great for the first couple years, but ever since this spring I'm getting regens every 50 miles or so (used to be every ~150 miles).

My truck is all stock, and the only thing I did before this towing season started was an oil change and fuel filter change (I do them at 5000 miles and 10000 miles respectively). This time around I did use a different oil than the MotorCraft I usually use. I think it was Rotella, but could have been some other name-brand.

Anyway, my local diesel shop doesn't see any issues. They say the sensors all read normal, no codes, etc. I'm actually thinking one or more sensors actually ARE bad, even if they're showing in spec on the IDS

I'm also wondering if somehow the oil I used is more "sooty" than the MotorCraft and filling up the filter more quickly. I'm going to change the oil back to MotorCraft and see if it helps.

Bottom line -- any tips on where to start troubleshooting?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you drive completely thru the regent, or stop in the middle of it?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Got any smoke on a free rev in park to 3000 rpm?

pg_rider

Reaction score
Got any smoke on a free rev in park to 3000 rpm?
During a regen or outside of a regen?

Very rarely I do see white smoke while driving during a regen. Never tried revving to 3000rpm in park but I can try it!

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Outside of regen. Snap the throttle to wot in park, wjile watching the tailpipe in the mirror, if you have black smoke, the *** is cracked, and most likely causing your issue

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
Let us know what smoke if any you see during the free rev. I have seen the *** Pressure Sensor show completely within spec on the IDS, but upon visual inspection it can be really plugged.

Also like 6.0 tech said. If you see any black smoke at all, that is a sign that the *** is cracked. Hoping that is not the case!

pg_rider

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I’ll do the free rev this week.

Hoss, where is the D P F Pressure Sensor you mentioned? Engine bay or on the exhaust?

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
It is located on the *** itself. You will see 3 temperature sensors and than another sensor that is larger and had a small hose attached to it. That is your *** pressure sensor.

pg_rider

Reaction score
It is located on the *** itself. You will see 3 temperature sensors and than another sensor that is larger and had a small hose attached to it. That is your *** pressure sensor.
Cool -- thanks! So pretty easy to get to and replace yourself? I've read tips about replacing the EGT sensors (using penetrating oil, etc) so I'm guessing it's a similar process.

On a related note, does anyone have a specific part number? Googling provides what looks like several different parts so I'm not sure which is the right one. Is it this?

https://www.amazon.com/Diesel-Particulate-Pressure-Alliant-AP63473/dp/B00EP0PKVU

Last edited:

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
That is the right one. A bunch of penetrating oil and a good flare nut wrench also helps. They can be a real PIA to get out as they always seem to be stuck in there.

pg_rider

Reaction score
Hate to be that one guy that asks a lot of questions, but it looks like there are two pieces to the pressure sensor (see attached photos). One is the bracket (the amazon link I posted), and one is the probe itself. Can I ask which one is likely to be at fault? Should I replace both?

Attachments

• DPF press sens.jpg
    DPF press sens.jpg
    273.4 KB · Views: 64
  • sensor bracket.jpg
    sensor bracket.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 51
  • sensor probe.jpg
    sensor probe.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 46

HossDieselWorks

Reaction score
Ahhhh no worries at all. It is usually the bracket (the one in the link) aka the sensor that becomes clogged. You can remove the sensor from the mounting bracket on the ***, remove the short rubber hose from the sensor as well and have a go at cleaning it out with a small pick or paper clip.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.