38r turbine failure

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
So after my truck started puffing black smoke I decided to tear into it and found my compression to be between 350-380. I also re torqued my injectors which were all a little loose. I then pulled the turbo to take off the .84 housing to reinstall the 1.0 that came on it (38r). I then found the turbine looks to have taken some hits. What could cause this? I have an egt gauge and I've only seen over 1000 degrees a hand ful of times and for very brief timeframe. Also since a t4 kit is still out of budget how many people have experience with the new sxe style kc turbo?

Attachments

• IMG_0385.JPG
    IMG_0385.JPG
    920.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    861.5 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0383.JPG
    IMG_0383.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 83

DieselDC

Reaction score
I have not and I’ve been lucky (400k original turbo) but many of our members have snapped their turbine shaft after a rebuild.

It’s weak by geometry and diameter. There’s a fix: http://alturl.com/maggy

I’ve been checking to see if any are avail. Sadly it’s been out of shock for while now.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Damage is on the inducer side. Which means it came from the engine side. Who drilled the spot for the EGT probe? It’s possible it came from debris from that or the engine ate something/ came loose inside.

DieselDC

Reaction score
I highly doubt it’s from the bitties from the drill and tap egt probe installation. Inconel is very hard and I only see that when the shaft has play on the cool side and slowing eroding the hotside and ban bang - it gets chewed up. If something did come from the engine, got more major chit to worry about then.

—————signature—————

DieselDC

Reaction score
Then like magnum mentioned, it must be something from the engine or debris.

—————signature—————

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
i just pulled them to do the compression test a couple of days ago. I'm thinking maybe the egt probe? Also the compression wasn't bad either 350-380

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I had put the .84 cause I wanted better low end spool. in all reality I need my tune cleaned up for less smoke. It did spool quite a bit better but wasn't a perfect setup.

Latest posts

Members online